    copyright infringements. I only download the odd tv program and I think Peer
    Guardian would not be of much use since it does not prevent your ip
    address being logged. I never worried about this when I was on Xtra.
    samorra, Apr 4, 2007

  2. samorra

    Miguel Guest

    On Apr 5, 9:45 am, "samorra" <> wrote:
    > What are the chances of getting busted using p2p with Xnet ?
    > They have apparently suspended several user accounts recently for
    > copyright infringements. I only download the odd tv program and I think Peer
    > Guardian would not be of much use since it does not prevent your ip
    > address being logged. I never worried about this when I was on Xtra.

    Hello Samorra....Interesting post thanks. Just wondering if you've a
    link to the xnet info.

    Allowing for the fact that I don't really know what I'm talking about,
    I was under the impression that the three networks mainly being
    hassled were Gnutella (BearShare, LimeWire, Shareaza + another dozen
    or so programmes), FastTrack (KaZaA and Grokster plus a few others)
    and edonkey network. More specifically, uploaders serving large
    amounts of files (1000+)

    Non-centralised p2p (bittorent) was less likely to be tracked.
    Kadmelia/Usenet/IRC even less (practically nil chance apparently).

    Repeating what I said earlier - I don't really know what I'm talking
    about. But it's pretty wise to stay away from the main networks (Kazaa
    LimeWire etc) and if you're just after TV progs stick to torrents for
    convenience although it's less secure (TPB, EZTV) or, if you're savvy
    enough, set up mIrc/xChat for privacy and get your stuff that way.

    Remember - I don't really know what I'm talking about and some
    nz.comp'er will be sure to say so.

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Apr 5, 2007

  3. samorra

    samorra Guest

    "Miguel" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Samorra....Interesting post thanks. Just wondering if you've a
    > link to the xnet info.

    article 5 of the Xnet Internet Service Acceptable Use Policy
    http://www.xnet.co.nz/legal/terms.shtml
    Prohibited uses include, but are not limited to, using the Xnet Service to:
    Upload, download, post, publish, transmit, reproduce, create derivative
    works of, or distribute in any way information, software or other material
    obtained through the Xnet Service or otherwise that is protected by
    copyright or other proprietary right, without the approval of the legal
    owner.

    > Non-centralised p2p (bittorent) was less likely to be tracked.
    > Kadmelia/Usenet/IRC even less (practically nil chance apparently).
    > Repeating what I said earlier - I don't really know what I'm talking
    > about. But it's pretty wise to stay away from the main networks (Kazaa
    > LimeWire etc) and if you're just after TV progs stick to torrents for
    > convenience although it's less secure (TPB, EZTV) or, if you're savvy
    > enough, set up mIrc/xChat for privacy and get your stuff that way.

    I've been using utorrent on EZTV.
    samorra, Apr 5, 2007
  4. samorra

    XPD Guest

    "samorra" <> wrote in message
    > What are the chances of getting busted using p2p with Xnet ?
    > They have apparently suspended several user accounts recently for
    > copyright infringements. I only download the odd tv program and I think
    > Peer Guardian would not be of much use since it does not prevent your ip
    > address being logged. I never worried about this when I was on Xtra.

    Long as youre not going stupid with it (ie:eek:penly admit youre potentially
    dling "questionable" files) most ISP's dont give a crap unless
    studios/lawyers come knocking.
    XPD, Apr 5, 2007