Xnet adsl speed

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by J.Wilson, Mar 16, 2007.

  1. J.Wilson

    J.Wilson Guest

    I changed ISP from Xtra to Xnet last week. Speeds were ok to start,
    approx between 2.0 and 2.5 Mbs, but have since slowed to mostly
    around 900kbps. Xnet help desk said the problem was with Telecom
    exchange and for me to send them a screenshot of a tracert to Xnet to
    help them resolve the problem. I sent:

    Tracing route to xnet.co.nz [58.28.4.10]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 71 ms 64 ms 67 ms int-132-akl-ds101.wxnz.net [58.28.15.70]
    2 62 ms 61 ms 59 ms ge-1-0-0-57-jcore3.wxnz.net [58.28.13.49]
    3 60 ms 63 ms 61 ms ge-0-1-0-akl-ae01.wxnz.net [58.28.4.10]
    4 68 ms 68 ms 67 ms ip-58-28-160-2.wxnz.net [58.28.160.2]
    5 61 ms 61 ms 60 ms umbrie1.wxnz.net [58.28.4.10]

    Trace complete. Help desk responded with

    "Thanks for the screen shots of the tracert tests. This will help in
    analysing
    the issues telecom are having at your local exchange.
    As it is an on-going investigation we have no ETA for a resolution for you.
    However this is one step in that direction"

    Is this a legit effort or am I getting the run around?

    John
    J.Wilson, Mar 16, 2007

  2. J.Wilson

    Rob Guest

    "J.Wilson" <> wrote in message
    > I changed ISP from Xtra to Xnet last week. Speeds were ok to start,
    > approx between 2.0 and 2.5 Mbs, but have since slowed to mostly
    > around 900kbps. Xnet help desk said the problem was with Telecom
    > exchange and for me to send them a screenshot of a tracert to Xnet to
    > help them resolve the problem. I sent:
    >
    > Tracing route to xnet.co.nz [58.28.4.10]
    > over a maximum of 30 hops:
    >
    > 1 71 ms 64 ms 67 ms int-132-akl-ds101.wxnz.net [58.28.15.70]
    > 2 62 ms 61 ms 59 ms ge-1-0-0-57-jcore3.wxnz.net [58.28.13.49]
    > 3 60 ms 63 ms 61 ms ge-0-1-0-akl-ae01.wxnz.net [58.28.4.10]
    > 4 68 ms 68 ms 67 ms ip-58-28-160-2.wxnz.net [58.28.160.2]
    > 5 61 ms 61 ms 60 ms umbrie1.wxnz.net [58.28.4.10]
    >
    > Trace complete. Help desk responded with
    >
    > "Thanks for the screen shots of the tracert tests. This will help in
    > analysing
    > the issues telecom are having at your local exchange.
    > As it is an on-going investigation we have no ETA for a resolution for
    > you.
    > However this is one step in that direction"
    >
    > Is this a legit effort or am I getting the run around?
    >
    > John

    Definitely the run around. They are blaming another company, when they are
    onselling you the services of that company. Ask for a prorata refund for the
    period that you are not getting service for.

    A lot of people have switched from xtras go large plan, directly to xnet,
    which is likely to cause a lot of conjestion on xnets network.
    Rob, Mar 16, 2007

  3. J.Wilson

    El Chippy Guest

    On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:26:24 +1300, J.Wilson wrote:

    > I changed ISP from Xtra to Xnet last week. Speeds were ok to start,
    > approx between 2.0 and 2.5 Mbs, but have since slowed to mostly
    > around 900kbps. Xnet help desk said the problem was with Telecom
    > exchange and for me to send them a screenshot of a tracert to Xnet to
    > help them resolve the problem. I sent:
    >
    > Is this a legit effort or am I getting the run around?
    >
    > John

    Are these line speeds reported by your modem? or download speeds from some
    sort of measuring site (nzdsl.co.nz etc?) If they are line speeds then
    yeah, it is pretty much down to something do with telecoms gear, and all
    they can really do is try to persuade telecom to pull finger and fix it.

    I just ran a local and an international speed test and i'm getting my
    full line speed (a crappy 1.5Mbit) from both at ~6pm on a friday night.
    I have't done much downloading lately so haven't noticed any problems
    myself.
    El Chippy, Mar 16, 2007
  4. "J.Wilson" <> wrote in message
    > I changed ISP from Xtra to Xnet last week. Speeds were ok to start,
    > approx between 2.0 and 2.5 Mbs, but have since slowed to mostly
    > around 900kbps. Xnet help desk said the problem was with Telecom
    > exchange and for me to send them a screenshot of a tracert to Xnet to
    > help them resolve the problem. I sent:

    What Area are you in?

    Thanks
    Craig (Owner of http://www.nzdsl.co.nz)
    Craig Whitmore, Mar 16, 2007
  5. J.Wilson

    J.Wilson Guest

    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message

    > "J.Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >> I changed ISP from Xtra to Xnet last week. Speeds were ok to start,
    >> approx between 2.0 and 2.5 Mbs, but have since slowed to mostly
    >> around 900kbps. Xnet help desk said the problem was with Telecom
    >> exchange and for me to send them a screenshot of a tracert to Xnet to
    >> help them resolve the problem. I sent:

    > What Area are you in?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig (Owner of http://www.nzdsl.co.nz)

    Morningside close by Fowlds Park.
    J.Wilson, Mar 16, 2007
  6. J.Wilson

    J.Wilson Guest

    "El Chippy" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:26:24 +1300, J.Wilson wrote:
    >
    >> I changed ISP from Xtra to Xnet last week. Speeds were ok to start,
    >> approx between 2.0 and 2.5 Mbs, but have since slowed to mostly
    >> around 900kbps. Xnet help desk said the problem was with Telecom
    >> exchange and for me to send them a screenshot of a tracert to Xnet to
    >> help them resolve the problem. I sent:
    >>
    >> Is this a legit effort or am I getting the run around?
    >>
    >> John

    > Are these line speeds reported by your modem? or download speeds from
    > some
    > sort of measuring site (nzdsl.co.nz etc?) If they are line speeds then
    > yeah, it is pretty much down to something do with telecoms gear, and all
    > they can really do is try to persuade telecom to pull finger and fix it.
    >
    > I just ran a local and an international speed test and i'm getting my
    > full line speed (a crappy 1.5Mbit) from both at ~6pm on a friday night.
    > I have't done much downloading lately so haven't noticed any problems
    > myself.

    I've been using:
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml

    I was on Xtra's Adventure plan and getting a reasonably consistent
    2.0 Mb.
    J.Wilson, Mar 16, 2007
  7. J.Wilson

    Tony Guest

    > Definitely the run around. They are blaming another company, when they are
    > onselling you the services of that company. Ask for a prorata refund for the
    > period that you are not getting service for.
    >
    > A lot of people have switched from xtras go large plan, directly to xnet,
    > which is likely to cause a lot of conjestion on xnets network.

    You are guessing, you have no idea where the problem is. Unless you have
    a clue don't offer advice.
    Tony, Mar 16, 2007
  8. J.Wilson

    Vista Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >> Definitely the run around. They are blaming another company, when they
    >> are onselling you the services of that company. Ask for a prorata refund
    >> for the period that you are not getting service for.
    >>
    >> A lot of people have switched from xtras go large plan, directly to xnet,
    >> which is likely to cause a lot of conjestion on xnets network.

    > You are guessing, you have no idea where the problem is. Unless you have a
    > clue don't offer advice.

    Aye? The OP already said that they were blaming telecom instead of taking
    responsibility themselves.

    You don't work for xnet do you?
    Vista, Mar 17, 2007
  9. J.Wilson

    Vista Guest

    "J.Wilson" <> wrote in message

    > "El Chippy" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:26:24 +1300, J.Wilson wrote:
    >>
    >>> I changed ISP from Xtra to Xnet last week. Speeds were ok to start,
    >>> approx between 2.0 and 2.5 Mbs, but have since slowed to mostly
    >>> around 900kbps. Xnet help desk said the problem was with Telecom
    >>> exchange and for me to send them a screenshot of a tracert to Xnet to
    >>> help them resolve the problem. I sent:
    >>>
    >>> Is this a legit effort or am I getting the run around?
    >>>
    >>> John

    >> Are these line speeds reported by your modem? or download speeds from
    >> some
    >> sort of measuring site (nzdsl.co.nz etc?) If they are line speeds then
    >> yeah, it is pretty much down to something do with telecoms gear, and all
    >> they can really do is try to persuade telecom to pull finger and fix it.
    >>
    >> I just ran a local and an international speed test and i'm getting my
    >> full line speed (a crappy 1.5Mbit) from both at ~6pm on a friday night.
    >> I have't done much downloading lately so haven't noticed any problems
    >> myself.

    > I've been using:
    > http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml
    >
    > I was on Xtra's Adventure plan and getting a reasonably consistent
    > 2.0 Mb.

    I know a few people who have been with xnet for a year, who have commented
    that in the last few weeks they have noticed slower than normal speeds
    during peak times.
    Vista, Mar 17, 2007
  10. J.Wilson

    Blue Guest

    On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 13:21:24 +1300, Vista wrote:

    > "Tony" <> wrote in
    > message news:newscache$b0i0fj$b2h$...
    >>> Definitely the run around. They are blaming another company, when they
    >>> are onselling you the services of that company. Ask for a prorata
    >>> refund for the period that you are not getting service for.
    >>>
    >>> A lot of people have switched from xtras go large plan, directly to
    >>> xnet, which is likely to cause a lot of conjestion on xnets network.

    >> You are guessing, you have no idea where the problem is. Unless you
    >> have a clue don't offer advice.
    >>

    > Aye? The OP already said that they were blaming telecom instead of
    > taking responsibility themselves.
    >
    > You don't work for xnet do you?

    No. You still have not offered any evidence that Telecom is clean on this
    matter.
    Blue, Mar 17, 2007
  11. J.Wilson

    Blue Guest

    On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 13:25:07 +1300, Vista wrote:

    > I know a few people who have been with xnet for a year, who have
    > commented that in the last few weeks they have noticed slower than
    > normal speeds during peak times.

    Happens with every ISP. They are good, people join by the hoards and then
    the ISP's system is overloaded.
    Blue, Mar 17, 2007
  12. J.Wilson

    Vista Guest

    "Blue" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 13:21:24 +1300, Vista wrote:
    >
    >> "Tony" <> wrote in
    >> message news:newscache$b0i0fj$b2h$...

    >>> You are guessing, you have no idea where the problem is. Unless you
    >>> have a clue don't offer advice.
    >>>

    >> Aye? The OP already said that they were blaming telecom instead of
    >> taking responsibility themselves.
    >>
    >> You don't work for xnet do you?

    > No. You still have not offered any evidence that Telecom is clean on this
    > matter.

    Thats irrelevent, the OP pays and is contracted to Xnet, not telecom.
    Therefore the buck stops with Xnet to sort it out and reply to the OP with a
    solution to their problem. Xnete has to take full responsibilty for the
    problem with any of their suppliers. Even if it was a telecom probelm,
    telecom in turn could blame one of their own providers. The OP has no
    contract with telecom directly for their broadband.
    Vista, Mar 18, 2007
  13. J.Wilson

    Vista Guest

    "Blue" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 13:25:07 +1300, Vista wrote:
    >
    >> I know a few people who have been with xnet for a year, who have
    >> commented that in the last few weeks they have noticed slower than
    >> normal speeds during peak times.

    > Happens with every ISP. They are good, people join by the hoards and then
    > the ISP's system is overloaded.

    Yeah, I believe it happened with orcon a few years ago, but is now sorted.
    Vista, Mar 18, 2007