    buying. I'm looking to buy it from TradeMe, does $79.00 sound like a
    good price for a used card?

    Cheers for input.
    Ben, May 23, 2004

  2. Ben

    steve Guest

    Re: Xircom pcmcia 10/100 ethernet card: How does it perform underLinux?

    Ben wrote:
    > Has anyone had any experience with a xircom realport pcmcia 10/100
    > ethernet + 56k modem on a laptop running Linux, more specifically Red
    > Hat Linux? Any major problems or things I should be aware of before
    > buying. I'm looking to buy it from TradeMe, does $79.00 sound like a
    > good price for a used card?
    >
    > Cheers for input.

    I ran one of these daily on my old Red Hat 7.0 system.

    On install it wuold either identify the modem or the ethernet
    function...and you would have to manually get the alternate function to
    work.

    Mine normally ID'd the ethernet and thast was what I wanted anyway. But
    I certainly have also had the modem going as well.

    That was 5 or 6 iterations of Red Hat ago....and several years.

    I would think that current versions of Linux would have an easier time
    of it. Hardware recognition and support has come a LONG way since 1999.
    steve, May 23, 2004