Xeon vs Opteron, which one for server?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Dr Nick, Apr 6, 2007.

  1. Dr Nick

    Dr Nick Guest

    I'm looking at building myself a 1U rackmount server. Tyan has a few nice
    barebone setups, I'm just trying to figure out if I should build it with an
    Intel Xeon or an AMD Opteron. I'm trying to accurately compaire the 2 but it
    seems pretty hard. first of all, i'm trying to figure out WHICH xeon's and
    Opterons to compaire. on the Intel side I'd go with the Core 2 based Xeon (I
    believe the conroe core) and with the Opteron, I'm guess it would be based
    off the Athlon 64 X2 series. I'm going to be using this server to run
    Windows 2003 SBS, which will in itself run Exchange server, SQL Server and
    my CRM server. I'd also like to run a few VMware virtual srvers (one will
    run my Asterisk phone system, for starters). I plan on using at least 4 Gb's
    of ram and running in a RAID 1 mirror setup.

    so, which chip am I better off going for. i'm looking for the best price to
    performance (for what I need) i'm looking in spending about 300 bucks or so
    on the CPU. Also, what is the MAIN advantage of using a Xeon vs using a Core
    2 Duo, or using an Athlon X2 in place of an Opteron? (this machine will only
    have 1 CPU so the ability to use mroe than 1 chip in the machine isnt' an
    issue) what makes the "server" chips worth their extra price?

    thanks!
    Dr Nick, Apr 6, 2007

  2. Dr Nick

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <EGfRh.53259$>, Dr Nick
    <> writes
    >I'm looking at building myself a 1U rackmount server. Tyan has a few nice
    >barebone setups, I'm just trying to figure out if I should build it with an
    >Intel Xeon or an AMD Opteron. I'm trying to accurately compaire the 2 but it
    >seems pretty hard. first of all, i'm trying to figure out WHICH xeon's and
    >Opterons to compaire. on the Intel side I'd go with the Core 2 based Xeon (I
    >believe the conroe core) and with the Opteron, I'm guess it would be based
    >off the Athlon 64 X2 series. I'm going to be using this server to run
    >Windows 2003 SBS, which will in itself run Exchange server, SQL Server and
    >my CRM server. I'd also like to run a few VMware virtual srvers (one will
    >run my Asterisk phone system, for starters). I plan on using at least 4 Gb's
    >of ram and running in a RAID 1 mirror setup.
    >
    >so, which chip am I better off going for. i'm looking for the best price to
    >performance (for what I need) i'm looking in spending about 300 bucks or so
    >on the CPU. Also, what is the MAIN advantage of using a Xeon vs using a Core
    >2 Duo, or using an Athlon X2 in place of an Opteron? (this machine will only
    >have 1 CPU so the ability to use mroe than 1 chip in the machine isnt' an
    >issue) what makes the "server" chips worth their extra price?
    >
    >thanks!

    Sorry can't advise with the choice of processor..but..

    Do you really need to cram into a 1U case when say 3 or 4 U will give U
    a lot more room and make cooling much easier and make for more standard
    parts????...
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Apr 6, 2007

  3. Dr Nick

    Dr Nick Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    > In article <EGfRh.53259$>, Dr Nick
    > <> writes
    >>I'm looking at building myself a 1U rackmount server. Tyan has a few nice
    >>barebone setups, I'm just trying to figure out if I should build it with
    >>an
    >>Intel Xeon or an AMD Opteron. I'm trying to accurately compaire the 2 but
    >>it
    >>seems pretty hard. first of all, i'm trying to figure out WHICH xeon's and
    >>Opterons to compaire. on the Intel side I'd go with the Core 2 based Xeon
    >>(I
    >>believe the conroe core) and with the Opteron, I'm guess it would be based
    >>off the Athlon 64 X2 series. I'm going to be using this server to run
    >>Windows 2003 SBS, which will in itself run Exchange server, SQL Server and
    >>my CRM server. I'd also like to run a few VMware virtual srvers (one will
    >>run my Asterisk phone system, for starters). I plan on using at least 4
    >>Gb's
    >>of ram and running in a RAID 1 mirror setup.
    >>
    >>so, which chip am I better off going for. i'm looking for the best price
    >>performance (for what I need) i'm looking in spending about 300 bucks or
    >>so
    >>on the CPU. Also, what is the MAIN advantage of using a Xeon vs using a
    >>Core
    >>2 Duo, or using an Athlon X2 in place of an Opteron? (this machine will
    >>only
    >>have 1 CPU so the ability to use mroe than 1 chip in the machine isnt' an
    >>issue) what makes the "server" chips worth their extra price?
    >>
    >>thanks!
    >>

    > Sorry can't advise with the choice of processor..but..
    >
    > Do you really need to cram into a 1U case when say 3 or 4 U will give U
    > a lot more room and make cooling much easier and make for more standard
    > parts????...
    > --
    > Tony Sayer

    Well, the Barebones cases I've seen from Tyan are mostly 1U (they do havea
    few 2U ones, but are more money). they come with everything I need except
    ram and hard drives (which are hot swapable) so size doesn't matter if all
    i'm doing is adding ram and a CPU to the inside
    Dr Nick, Apr 7, 2007
  4. Dr Nick

    Paul Guest

    Dr Nick wrote:
    > "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <EGfRh.53259$>, Dr Nick
    >> <> writes
    >>> I'm looking at building myself a 1U rackmount server. Tyan has a few nice
    >>> barebone setups, I'm just trying to figure out if I should build it with
    >>> an
    >>> Intel Xeon or an AMD Opteron. I'm trying to accurately compaire the 2 but
    >>> it
    >>> seems pretty hard. first of all, i'm trying to figure out WHICH xeon's and
    >>> Opterons to compaire. on the Intel side I'd go with the Core 2 based Xeon
    >>> (I
    >>> believe the conroe core) and with the Opteron, I'm guess it would be based
    >>> off the Athlon 64 X2 series. I'm going to be using this server to run
    >>> Windows 2003 SBS, which will in itself run Exchange server, SQL Server and
    >>> my CRM server. I'd also like to run a few VMware virtual srvers (one will
    >>> run my Asterisk phone system, for starters). I plan on using at least 4
    >>> Gb's
    >>> of ram and running in a RAID 1 mirror setup.
    >>>
    >>> so, which chip am I better off going for. i'm looking for the best price
    >>> performance (for what I need) i'm looking in spending about 300 bucks or
    >>> so
    >>> on the CPU. Also, what is the MAIN advantage of using a Xeon vs using a
    >>> Core
    >>> 2 Duo, or using an Athlon X2 in place of an Opteron? (this machine will
    >>> only
    >>> have 1 CPU so the ability to use mroe than 1 chip in the machine isnt' an
    >>> issue) what makes the "server" chips worth their extra price?
    >>>
    >>> thanks!
    >>>

    >> Sorry can't advise with the choice of processor..but..
    >>
    >> Do you really need to cram into a 1U case when say 3 or 4 U will give U
    >> a lot more room and make cooling much easier and make for more standard
    >> parts????...
    >> --
    >> Tony Sayer
    >>

    > Well, the Barebones cases I've seen from Tyan are mostly 1U (they do havea
    > few 2U ones, but are more money). they come with everything I need except
    > ram and hard drives (which are hot swapable) so size doesn't matter if all
    > i'm doing is adding ram and a CPU to the inside

    http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/results/cpu2006.html

    SPECint is for a single core out of all cores. SPECint_rate2006 is for all
    cores on the machine. And the results are a lot like guessing what the
    real gas mileage of your car will be, based on government testing :)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPECint

    Paul
    Paul, Apr 7, 2007