XDepth Raw: a jpeg-compatible Raw compressed format for digitalcameras

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Trellis Management, Sep 29, 2008.

  1. Monday, 29th September, 2008 - Trellis Management Co. Ltd. presents
    its latest image compression technology for digital cameras on its
    website at http://raw.xdepth.com and at the upcoming PDN PhotoPlus
    International Conference + Expo. ( http://tinyurl.com/4r9klo )

    XDepth Raw is the only image compression and file format solution able
    to function both as a common Jpeg and as a Raw image.

    Too often amateur and professional photographers alike wondered why
    they couldn't have all the flexibility and precision of a Raw shot
    within a universally compatible format like Jpeg.

    XDepth Raw not only fully satisfies the need for a compatible and
    flexible format but it also provides exponentially more precision and
    dynamic range than current cameras can capture. XDepth Raw is infact
    capable of storing up to 72bit/pixel at full High Dynamic Range.

    XDepth Raw images are recognized as Jpeg files by any software
    application on virtually every operating system and can be previewed
    and used as common jpegs. When opened with XDepth-enabled software
    instead, the same files are recognized and loaded as Raw camera
    pictures.

    Camera makers employ all sorts of algorithms in order reduce the size
    of their Raw images although still remaining in the realm of the
    "heavy digital pictures" as Raw files can take up to 1.5 MBytes for
    each Mega-Pixel. XDepth Raw reduces on average this figure to 0.2
    MBytes for each Mega-Pixel of resolution, featuring an outstanding 7:1
    compression ratio compared to the uncompressed Raw file.
    XDepth Raw employs a proprietary technology able to literally restore
    the original fine details found in the uncompressed Raw picture at
    high bit depths without sacrificing visual quality.

    The XDepth brand will be sponsoring the PDN PhotoPlus Expo Press Room
    area for the entire event.
    Attending interested parties can request a live demonstration of
    XDepth technologies by booking an appointment online through the
    PhotoPlus Connect service. ( http://tinyurl.com/532jmm )

    Learn more about XDepth Raw by visiting the dedicated website at:
    http://raw.xdepth.com.

    About Trellis Management Co. Ltd.

    Trellis Management is a privately held company focused on technology
    IP's licensing, acquisition and sale. Trellis Management is not
    related nor affiliated with the Joint Photographic Experts Group
    (JPEG).
    Trellis Management, Sep 29, 2008

  2. Trellis Management

    Spam This Guest

    Re: XDepth Raw: a jpeg-compatible Raw compressed format for digital cameras

    So how are you going to convince all the camera makers to supoort yet
    another image format in their products? Adobe was only really able to get
    Pentax on their DNG version of RAW, and Nikon won't licence their complete
    NEF source code. 72 bit sounds ambitious...

    Spam This, Sep 29, 2008

  3. On 29 Set, 15:34, "Spam This" <> wrote:
    > So how are you going to convince all the camera makers to supoort yet
    > another image format in their products? Adobe was only really able to get
    > Pentax on their DNG version of RAW, and Nikon won't licence their complete
    > NEF source code. 72 bit sounds ambitious...

    Hi,
    we do have our own strategy, can't really spoil it.
    DNG weighs 7 times our images as it's not compressed...that isn't good
    for memory cards nor for archiving large sets of raw images. Achieving
    Raw compression is very hard, unless you notably decrease quality -
    which isn't our case.
    72bit/pixel is the maximum achievable by our system today, yes. That
    includes full High Dynamic Range (i.e. N-stops).
    When camera sensors will become more and more capable of capturing a
    wider dynamic range at higher resolutions, Raw images will
    exponentially grow in size.
    By that time (sooner than you might think) you either got "quantum"
    memory cards or you apply some stronger, more efficient, compression.
    Remarkably, XDepth Raw achieves such specs while breaking the barrier
    between Jpeg and Raw, giving Jpeg the ability to work as a Raw file,
    avoiding typical artifacts (i.e. blockiness).
    Nowadays most camera makers do not include their Raw format option in
    Bridge cameras most probably because they're afraid that mildly
    experienced users might complain about the fact they're not able to
    view their photos in their favourite software. (as they don't know
    what a Raw image is)
    With our solution even compact and bridge cameras can be Raw-enabled
    with peace of mind...as the output file will still be a "common" Jpeg
    to the eyes of the unexperienced user.
    Trellis Management, Sep 29, 2008
  4. Trellis Management

    Paul Furman Guest

    Paul wrote:

    > I wish I had the option to shoot DNG straight out of my Canon.

    I wish I had the option to shoot DNG straight out of my Nikon.
    Paul Furman, Sep 30, 2008
  5. Re: XDepth Raw: a jpeg-compatible Raw compressed format for digital cameras

    drugs began to take hold. I remember Trellis Management
    <> saying something like:

    >XDepth Raw is the only image compression and file format solution able
    >to function both as a common Jpeg and as a Raw image.

    Sounds good if it works as you claim. It's just a damn shame these
    things cannot be retro-fitted.
    --

    Dave
    Grimly Curmudgeon, Sep 30, 2008
  6. On 30 Set, 13:34, Grimly Curmudgeon <>
    wrote:
    > We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    > drugs began to take hold. I remember Trellis Management
    > <> saying something like:
    >
    > >XDepth Raw is the only image compression and file format solution able
    > >to function both as a common Jpeg and as a Raw image.

    > Sounds good if it works as you claim. It's just a damn shame these
    > things cannot be retro-fitted.

    Hi,
    if by "retro-fitted" you mean, include new formats in present cameras,
    I think some cameras can do that through a firmware "upgrade".
    Clearly, these sorts of upgrades must come from the camera vendor...in
    theory.
    Trellis Management, Oct 1, 2008
  7. Trellis Management

    Wallace D. Guest

    Re: XDepth Raw: a jpeg-compatible Raw compressed format for digital cameras

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 04:33:54 -0700 (PDT), Trellis Management
    <> wrote:

    >On 30 Set, 13:34, Grimly Curmudgeon <>
    >wrote:
    >> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    >> drugs began to take hold. I remember Trellis Management
    >> <> saying something like:
    >>
    >> >XDepth Raw is the only image compression and file format solution able
    >> >to function both as a common Jpeg and as a Raw image.

    >> Sounds good if it works as you claim. It's just a damn shame these
    >> things cannot be retro-fitted.

    >Hi,
    >if by "retro-fitted" you mean, include new formats in present cameras,
    >I think some cameras can do that through a firmware "upgrade".
    >Clearly, these sorts of upgrades must come from the camera vendor...in
    >theory.

    Or through creative hackers. Like the ones that rewrote the MJPEG video routines
    in all the CHDK capable Canon P&S cameras. Which now allows you to select
    variable-bit-rate compression levels from 1 to 99 and variable-quality
    compression levels from 0.25 to 3.0 times the camera's native video compression
    levels.

    The only way you'll ever get a firmware upgrade that truly adds new features
    from any camera company today is by buying their next year's camera, while they
    take out valuable features that they might put back in the next year, to
    convince you to buy a new camera yet again. They've played this camera-feature
    see-saw "sucker the consumer" marketing game for a long time now. Every one of
    any company's older models could get hundreds of new features from a simple and
    small firmware download. Beg all you want, you'll never get it. Haven't you been
    paying attention to how they rip you off every year? Get with the program dude.

    The only way that you'll get the camera you want today and tomorrow is by
    redesigning the camera's software yourself. Those who use and program
    CHDK-capable cameras already know this.

    Catch up.
    Wallace D., Oct 1, 2008