    As she's also got a FZ-7 and would prefer an adapter that can read both SD
    and xD Type H cards. Any help would be appreciated. If you hadn't guessed
    yet I'm in the UK.
    Jack Torrence, Jan 30, 2007

  2. Jack Torrence

    tomm42 Guest

    On Jan 30, 3:23 am, "Jack Torrence"
    <room217[at]overlook.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    > Why oh why Fuji and Olympus couldn't go the SD route with everyone else!
    >
    > My girlfriends laptop, being a Sony, only has a bult-in card reader for
    > MemoryStick. She's recently got a Fuji Z3 for which I bought her a Fuji Type
    > H 1gb card.
    >
    > Can I find a PC Card (PCMCIA) adapter that will read this card. She already
    > had a Sandisk 6-in-1 that won't read it (their website confirms its not
    > compatible) and I bought and returned a no-name brand fromwww.scan.co.uk
    > that promised it would but actually wouldn't.
    >
    > Does anyone here know of a PC Card (PCMCIA) adapter that is compatible with
    > Type H cards? The Fuji website doesn't even say if their own xD/SD adapter
    > works (which btw is bloody expensive).
    >
    > As she's also got a FZ-7 and would prefer an adapter that can read both SD
    > and xD Type H cards. Any help would be appreciated. If you hadn't guessed
    > yet I'm in the UK.

    Went through this when my son bought a Fuji, very few muti readers
    take the Xd card. What we did was buy an Xd reader, it is a little
    smaller than a PCMCIA card (of course sold by Fuji).

    Tom
    tomm42, Jan 30, 2007

  3. Jack Torrence

    Roy G Guest

    "Jack Torrence" <room217[at]overlook.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Why oh why Fuji and Olympus couldn't go the SD route with everyone else!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    > yet I'm in the UK.

    Hi

    I have a USB2 Sandisc 12 in 1 reader which does read XD Cards and Sd Cards.
    I am not sure about XD type H.

    I got it from Jessops, so you should be able to try before you buy, if you
    go there.

    Of course I don't work for them or anything like that.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Jan 30, 2007
  4. "Roy G" <> wrote in message

    > "Jack Torrence" <room217[at]overlook.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Why oh why Fuji and Olympus couldn't go the SD route with everyone else!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    >> yet I'm in the UK.

    > Hi
    >
    > I have a USB2 Sandisc 12 in 1 reader which does read XD Cards and Sd
    > Cards. I am not sure about XD type H.
    >
    > I got it from Jessops, so you should be able to try before you buy, if you
    > go there.

    Thanks for the reply, but as the original message said I, am specifically
    after an adapter that goes in the PC Card (PCMCIA) slot of a laptop and not
    a USB device.
    Jack Torrence, Jan 30, 2007
  5. Jack Torrence

    DHB Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:23:36 -0000, "Jack Torrence"
    <room217[at]overlook.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >Why oh why Fuji and Olympus couldn't go the SD route with everyone else!
    >
    >My girlfriends laptop, being a Sony, only has a bult-in card reader for
    >MemoryStick. She's recently got a Fuji Z3 for which I bought her a Fuji Type
    >H 1gb card.
    >
    >Can I find a PC Card (PCMCIA) adapter that will read this card. She already
    >had a Sandisk 6-in-1 that won't read it (their website confirms its not
    >compatible) and I bought and returned a no-name brand from www.scan.co.uk
    >that promised it would but actually wouldn't.
    >
    >Does anyone here know of a PC Card (PCMCIA) adapter that is compatible with
    >Type H cards? The Fuji website doesn't even say if their own xD/SD adapter
    >works (which btw is bloody expensive).
    >
    >As she's also got a FZ-7 and would prefer an adapter that can read both SD
    >and xD Type H cards. Any help would be appreciated. If you hadn't guessed
    >yet I'm in the UK.

    Jack,
    You might be better off with a small USB reader/writer like
    the Lexar 5-in-1 thumb drive (USB 2) type reader that claims to do
    both the xD & SD memory cards you referred to but it does not specify
    xD type compatibility (M & or H). You may have to call them to make
    sure it supports both types.

    1st hand experience. I have an Olympus "MAUSB -100" thumb
    drive type reader/writer & it works with both M & H type xD cards.

    The main reason I ordered this unit is because it's small &
    the xD card fits into it's side after you remove it's snap on cover.
    In other words, when not in use the card slot is completely covered &
    protected. Also the cover will fit over it even with an xD card
    installed in it.

    Thus I keep a spare 2GB type M card in the small USB thumb
    drive type USB reader & swap it with the 1 in my Fuji F11 when needed.
    Doing so allows it to serve as both a reader/writer & a spare card
    holder. My only complaint is that it gets noticeably ward when
    powered which is probably just fine but being an E.T., I'm not a big
    fan of electronics that get warm. So I don't leave it plugged in
    longer than needed to read my xD card.

    Sorry this is not what you asked for but it may be worth
    consideration because it's small, inexpensive & can be used on
    virtually any PC with a USB port, so it's not limited primarily to
    notebook use.

    Belkin just came out with a new "Express Card" multi card
    reader that may be just what you are looking for but they are already
    sold out. Won't go into much detail here because it's all on their
    web page, but it is clamed to be 4x faster & it's about $30.US:

    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=278313

    Hope this is of use to you or others.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    DHB, Jan 30, 2007
  6. In article <45befd61$>, Jack Torrence wrote:

    > She's recently got a Fuji Z3 for which I bought her a Fuji Type
    > H 1gb card.

    I ran into a similar problem with Type H cards. My understanding from
    the support staff at Jobo and Hyperdrive is that Type H cards are
    different from Type M. Jobo's support recommended buying Olympus's card
    reader that accepts Type H cards and plugs into a Compact Flash slot.

    Instead, I have swtiched to lower capacity Type M xD cards.

    I'm not at all happy with xD cards, and I plan on avoiding cameras that
    use them when I buy again.

    Phil Stripling, Jan 30, 2007
  7. Jack Torrence

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:54:37 -0000, "Jack Torrence"
    <room217[at]overlook.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >> I have a USB2 Sandisc 12 in 1 reader which does read XD Cards and Sd
    >> Cards. I am not sure about XD type H.
    >>
    >> I got it from Jessops, so you should be able to try before you buy, if you
    >> go there.

    > Thanks for the reply, but as the original message said I, am specifically
    > after an adapter that goes in the PC Card (PCMCIA) slot of a laptop and not
    > a USB device.

    I think that the old Sandisk 12-in-1 reader was only compatible
    with standard xD and type M xD cards. The latest one also handles
    type H cards and says so on the bottom of the package. (I use one)

    Sandisk also sells an Ultra PC Card adapter that may work, but it
    only accepts CF cards, so you'd have to also get a CF to xD adapter.
    The CF to xD adapter that I bought two years ago is made by Fuji,
    and I have used it to transfer files from my types M and H cards
    through my computer's built-in CF card reader slot.
    ASAAR, Jan 30, 2007
  8. Jack Torrence

    Adam Helberg Guest

    "Phil Stripling" <> wrote in message
    > In article <45befd61$>, Jack Torrence wrote:
    >
    >> She's recently got a Fuji Z3 for which I bought her a Fuji Type
    >> H 1gb card.

    > I ran into a similar problem with Type H cards. My understanding from
    > the support staff at Jobo and Hyperdrive is that Type H cards are
    > different from Type M. Jobo's support recommended buying Olympus's card
    > reader that accepts Type H cards and plugs into a Compact Flash slot.
    >
    > Instead, I have swtiched to lower capacity Type M xD cards.
    >
    > I'm not at all happy with xD cards, and I plan on avoiding cameras that
    > use them when I buy again.
    >
    > --
    > Phil Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed
    > The Civilized Explorer | spam and read later. email from this URL
    > http://www.cieux.com/ | http://www.civex.com/ is read daily.

    I have a Fuji F30 and put the 1 Gb Type H card into my laptop's card reader and tried
    to read the card. This somehow corrupted the data on the card. So now I only use the
    card in the camera and upload my pictures to the computer through the camera.

    Adam
    Adam Helberg, Feb 2, 2007
  9. Jack Torrence

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 20:46:22 GMT, Adam Helberg wrote:

    > I have a Fuji F30 and put the 1 Gb Type H card into my laptop's card
    > reader and tried to read the card. This somehow corrupted the data on
    > the card. So now I only use the card in the camera and upload my pictures
    > to the computer through the camera.

    The data could only have become corrupted if you performed a write
    operation to the card. Copying files should not have corrupted the
    card's data. If instead you "moved" files from the card to the
    computer, that may have corrupted the data.

    Most old readers are not compatible with type H cards, and I
    returned a Sandisk card adapter last year that only worked with xD
    and type M xD cards. A month or two ago I purchased a new version
    of Sandisk's 12-In-1 card reader that is fully compatible with all
    xD card types. The new version has a compatibility list on the
    outside of the package, and all of the supported xD cards are shown
    at the bottom of the list. If you don't see Type H in the list,
    that's the older version which should be avoided by anyone that uses
    xD cards and either has or may someday get a Type H card.
    ASAAR, Feb 2, 2007
  10. Jack Torrence

    Adam Helberg Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 20:46:22 GMT, Adam Helberg wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Fuji F30 and put the 1 Gb Type H card into my laptop's card
    >> reader and tried to read the card. This somehow corrupted the data on
    >> the card. So now I only use the card in the camera and upload my pictures
    >> to the computer through the camera.

    > The data could only have become corrupted if you performed a write
    > operation to the card. Copying files should not have corrupted the
    > card's data. If instead you "moved" files from the card to the
    > computer, that may have corrupted the data.
    >
    > Most old readers are not compatible with type H cards, and I
    > returned a Sandisk card adapter last year that only worked with xD
    > and type M xD cards. A month or two ago I purchased a new version
    > of Sandisk's 12-In-1 card reader that is fully compatible with all
    > xD card types. The new version has a compatibility list on the
    > outside of the package, and all of the supported xD cards are shown
    > at the bottom of the list. If you don't see Type H in the list,
    > that's the older version which should be avoided by anyone that uses
    > xD cards and either has or may someday get a Type H card.

    I don't recall now exactly what I did but I know I did not try to edit or write to
    the card with my computer. I may have tried to view the files on the card. After the
    files were corrupted I sent an email to the flashmemorystore where I bought the card
    and they exchanged the card on the theory the card was bad. I have not tried to use
    my laptop's card reader with the new card.

    Adam
    Adam Helberg, Feb 3, 2007
  11. In article <>, ASAAR
    <> wrote:

    > If you don't see Type H in the list,
    > that's the older version which should be avoided by anyone that uses
    > xD cards and either has or may someday get a Type H card.

    Well, type M cards, as I understand it, are 512MB and less, so most
    people will buy 1GB and greater capaacity xD cards (Type H). Before
    they do, if they are using a storage device other than their computer,
    confirm with the device maker that it will read the card they intend to
    buy.

    Phil Stripling, Feb 9, 2007
  12. Jack Torrence

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 21:26:24 -0800, Phil Stripling wrote:

    >> If you don't see Type H in the list,
    >> that's the older version which should be avoided by anyone that uses
    >> xD cards and either has or may someday get a Type H card.

    > Well, type M cards, as I understand it, are 512MB and less, so most
    > people will buy 1GB and greater capaacity xD cards (Type H). Before
    > they do, if they are using a storage device other than their computer,
    > confirm with the device maker that it will read the card they intend to
    > buy.

    You must have gotten that information a while ago since I bought
    1GB Type M and Type H cards well back into last year. My most
    recent purchase was a 2GB Type M card, bought about a month ago.
    Not particularly fast, but cheap. :) FWIW, the 1 and 2 GB Type M
    xD cards are from Olympus, not Fuji.
    ASAAR, Feb 9, 2007
  13. In article <>, ASAAR
    <> wrote:

    > FWIW, the 1 and 2 GB Type M
    > xD cards are from Olympus, not Fuji.

    Now that's interesting. My understanding from a device maker that
    wouldn't read my type H cards says that M and H cards have different
    pin outs or pins or something that makes my device that reads M cards
    both not able to read Hs and not upgradeable through firmware - it's a
    hardware incompatibilitly.

    It's not worth it now, but I wonder if my device would be able to read
    a type M 1 or 2GB xD card ... .

    Oh, well. I won't be buying xD using cameras anymore, so it doesn't
    matter to me now.

    Phil Stripling, Feb 9, 2007