xD memory card speeds

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John, Feb 10, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I am a newbie to digital photography and just bought a Fuji FinePix
    E550 6 mega pixel camera. Of course I need an xD memory card to go
    with it since the 16MB that come with it won't hold much. I had one
    sales man tell me not to buy the one I found on newegg.com because that
    is the older slower kind and theirs is the newer 'high speed' version.
    He said that the slower one would cause there to be a bigger delay
    before I could take the next picture. Is this true? I have tried to
    do some research and have found no other mention of high speed vs.
    normal speed xD cards. Are there any other different kinds of xD
    cards? Is one brand better than another? Any help would be greatly
    appreciated. For convenience I have posted links to the two different
    cards so you can take a look for yourself.

    Thanks,
    -John

    newegg.com:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-196-104&depa=1

    butterflyphoto.com (site says $109 but he could sell for $80):
    http://www.butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=OLY512XD

    John, Feb 10, 2005

  2. John

    ECM Guest

    John wrote:
    > I am a newbie to digital photography and just bought a Fuji FinePix
    > E550 6 mega pixel camera. Of course I need an xD memory card to go
    > with it since the 16MB that come with it won't hold much. I had one
    > sales man tell me not to buy the one I found on newegg.com because

    that
    > is the older slower kind and theirs is the newer 'high speed'

    version.
    > He said that the slower one would cause there to be a bigger delay
    > before I could take the next picture. Is this true? I have tried to
    > do some research and have found no other mention of high speed vs.
    > normal speed xD cards. Are there any other different kinds of xD
    > cards? Is one brand better than another? Any help would be greatly
    > appreciated. For convenience I have posted links to the two

    different
    > cards so you can take a look for yourself.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -John
    >

    > newegg.com:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-196-104&depa=1

    > butterflyphoto.com (site says $109 but he could sell for $80):
    > http://www.butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=OLY512XD

    I've heard that butterfly uses this kind of tactic. There's NO
    difference between these two Oly xD cards - they're one and the same.
    xD cards are, in general, all a bit faster than a ~12X CF; I think that
    most are actually made in the same factory and just rebranded to Fuji,
    Olympus, and Lexar.

    The guy was LYING to you - you shouldn't do business with him.

    ECM

    ECM, Feb 10, 2005

  3. John

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, John
    says...
    > I am a newbie to digital photography and just bought a Fuji FinePix
    > E550 6 mega pixel camera. Of course I need an xD memory card to go
    > with it since the 16MB that come with it won't hold much. I had one
    > sales man tell me not to buy the one I found on newegg.com because that
    > is the older slower kind and theirs is the newer 'high speed' version.
    > He said that the slower one would cause there to be a bigger delay
    > before I could take the next picture. Is this true? I have tried to
    > do some research and have found no other mention of high speed vs.
    > normal speed xD cards. Are there any other different kinds of xD
    > cards? Is one brand better than another? Any help would be greatly
    > appreciated. For convenience I have posted links to the two different
    > cards so you can take a look for yourself.

    All xD cards are the same. They are all pretty slow. Better getting a
    fast CF card.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Feb 10, 2005
  4. John

    SteveB Guest

    As far as I have been able to find out, there's only one speed at present.
    I saw some test results recently and they are really slow at writing
    compared with any other type of card.

    SteveB, Feb 10, 2005
  5. John

    John Guest

    Does this mean that I can buy a CF card and it will work in the Fuji
    camera? I thought xD was a different size and shape than CF.

    John, Feb 10, 2005
  6. John

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, John
    says...
    > Does this mean that I can buy a CF card and it will work in the Fuji
    > camera? I thought xD was a different size and shape than CF.

    Oops... no you cannot put a CF card into an xD slot. But some cameras
    (such as some Olympus models) have two card slots - one for CF and one
    for xD.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Feb 10, 2005
  7. John

    Steven Hook Guest

    I think they're pretty standard. the only diferences are the branding and
    size...

    Steven Hook, Feb 11, 2005
  8. I own an Oly 8080 that has dual slots, CF and xD. I keep a 512 xD card in
    the slot to act as an emergency backup until I can reload a CF or d/l the
    images into my digital wallet. Gives me a sense of having a backup handy
    and its just the push of a button to switch from one to the other. Very
    handy.

    Captain Volume, Feb 11, 2005