    Anyone able to shed any light on this?

    Thanks

    Salvador
    Salvador Freemanson, Sep 14, 2006

  2. Salvador Freemanson

    Tony Sivori Guest

    Salvador wrote:

    > My camera (Olympus) told me that the XD card is faulty. However, when I
    > put the card in a cardreader connected to a PC I was prompted to format
    > the card (which I did, losing all my holiday snaps). The PC can now read
    > and write to the card no problem.
    >
    > But the camera still tells me the card is faulty. That particular camera
    > turned out to be faulty. But I have tried the same card in two other
    > cameras and get exactly the same result - card unreadable in camera
    >
    > Anyone able to shed any light on this?

    Format the card the card with your camera, not your PC.

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Tony Sivori, Sep 14, 2006

  3. Salvador Freemanson

    My Name Guest

    On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 04:15:05 -0400, Tony Sivori <>
    wrote:

    >Format the card the card with your camera, not your PC.

    Except that the camera (and two other cameras I've tried) tells me
    that the card is unreadable and refuse to format it.

    The card works fine in the PC.
    My Name, Sep 18, 2006
  4. Salvador Freemanson

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:54:32 +0200, My Name <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 04:15:05 -0400, Tony Sivori <>
    >wrote:

    >>Format the card the card with your camera, not your PC.

    >Except that the camera (and two other cameras I've tried) tells me
    >that the card is unreadable and refuse to format it.

    >The card works fine in the PC.

    Is the card of a higher capacity than the camera will accept? Perhaps you
    did something goofy like partition the card with entries the camera can't
    handle, or format it with a file system incompatible w/ the camera? Try
    deleting the card's partitions and then format it in the camera?
    AZ Nomad, Sep 18, 2006
  5. Salvador Freemanson

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:54:32 +0200, My Name wrote:

    >>> My camera (Olympus) told me that the XD card is faulty. However, when I
    >>> put the card in a cardreader connected to a PC I was prompted to format
    >>> the card (which I did, losing all my holiday snaps). The PC can now read
    >>> and write to the card no problem.

    > Except that the camera (and two other cameras I've tried) tells me
    > that the card is unreadable and refuse to format it.
    >
    > The card works fine in the PC.

    It sounds as if your computer used the wrong format, one which is
    incompatible with your cameras. Usually the format that creates
    problems is done using FAT32. When using the Format option, either
    from My Computer or from Windows Explorer, I can choose either FAT32
    or FAT for the card's File System. After formatting the card with a
    FAT file system your cameras should be able to see the card. If
    they do, *then* format the card once more using the camera, just to
    be safe. If afterwards you put the card in a card reader and get
    another prompt asking you to format the card, ignore the request. I
    used to get a similar format request when using a SCSI based card
    reader, but only if the card was in the reader when the computer
    booted up. After ignoring the format request there were no
    problems, and files could be copied to and from the card. I tried
    formatting cards in the reader a couple of times several years ago,
    and afterwards only the computer could use the cards.
    ASAAR, Sep 18, 2006