    cable to copy to a computer successfully. But as I bought the 550
    specially for an overseas trip I won't have access to a computer most
    of the time
    MikeM, Mar 17, 2007

  2. MikeM <> wrote:
    : Because the XD slot on my portable HDD only copies files from the XD
    : to the HDD if the 1 GB card is not full. Since I bought an Olympus
    : SP-550UZ a couple of weeks ago I have been copying the files from the
    : XD card to the CF card in my Oly C-7070 and then copying them from
    : there to the HDD. When I copied files from the XD used by the C-7070
    : there were no problems, but I just noticed that when I copied the
    : files from the XD card used in the 550 the video clips didn't
    : transfer. I assumed that as the JPGs transferred without problems the
    : others would as well.

    I have no direct experience with your devices but part of your problem may
    be due to one of the devices making asumptions. For example you mention
    using one camera to transfer files from one memory card to another which
    were photos and video taken with a different camera. If the camera used to
    make the transfer does not take video, or looks for video in a different
    location, it may not even see the video files and thus would not try to
    transfer them. Many cameras handle these transfers in a much different
    manner than a computer would. A camera looks for photo files and reads the
    image into memory. Then it writes the image to the new memory card and
    deletes the image from hard memory (and possibly from the original media).
    So any transfer will be dependant on the ability of the camera to find and
    recognize the image files. Unexpected file folders or file formats may be
    invisible to the transfer program. A computer (and probably the HDD) makes
    no asumptions of what file types are being delt with. They just make a
    direct copy of the data, and don't care if it is an image, a video, a
    sound file, or a program.

    So if you can take the second camera out of the process it may be possible
    to make all these transfers to the HDD. You mention that the HDD card slot
    will copy the files from your card if it is not full. Then just make sure
    to copy and clear the card BEFORE it is completely full. Your other
    solution that you seem to imply is that if it is a different card type
    this restriction is no longer imposed. In that case your converter to
    change the apparent memory card type may work fine. But if the reason the
    restriction is no longer a problem with the second card is the fact that
    the second card has a higher capacity and thus by transferring, the new
    card is no longer at capacity, you may find that changing apparent card
    type with a converter may not help. The card would still be at capacity.

    My suggestion is to carry several memory cards, and change them when they
    are approaching but not at full capacity. Then you will be able to make
    the direct transfer to the HDD.

    JMHO

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Mar 17, 2007

  3. MikeM

    MikeM Guest

    They are both Olympus cameras but the C-7070 uses MOV and I think the
    SP550UZ uses AVI files. So maybe that's why the C-7070 doesn't see the
    video files. If that is the case the adaptor might allow me to copy
    all the files directly to the portable HDD.

    Both the CF and XD cards are 1 GB, but the CF did usually have a file
    or 2 less than the XD when the full message was displayed. I asumed
    they were of identical capacity, maybe there is a slight difference.

    Mike

    MikeM, Mar 17, 2007