    Cheers..
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Mar 4, 2011

  2. On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:03:50 +0000
    tony sayer <> wrote:

    > I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
    > these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
    > card or camera cannot read the card.

    If you get an XD->SD adapter then try it in a laptop with an SD card
    slot. I had an unreadable card in an Android phone, when put directly
    in the SD slot Win 7 64bit managed to read the card and fix the file
    system OK. Didn't seem to lose much.

    If more mangled than that, I don't know, there has to be a minimum
    amount of stuff to allow the card's internal controller to give a
    recognisable signature to the file system software.

    Also, possibly a Linux machine could allow a dd command to run on the
    SD reader device and hence do a sector by sector copy to disk?

    --

    Brian Morrison
    Brian Morrison, Mar 4, 2011

  3. Brian Morrison wrote:
    > On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:03:50 +0000
    > tony sayer <> wrote:
    >
    >> I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
    >> these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
    >> card or camera cannot read the card.

    > If you get an XD->SD adapter then try it in a laptop with an SD card
    > slot. I had an unreadable card in an Android phone, when put directly
    > in the SD slot Win 7 64bit managed to read the card and fix the file
    > system OK. Didn't seem to lose much.
    >
    > If more mangled than that, I don't know, there has to be a minimum
    > amount of stuff to allow the card's internal controller to give a
    > recognisable signature to the file system software.
    >
    > Also, possibly a Linux machine could allow a dd command to run on the
    > SD reader device and hence do a sector by sector copy to disk?

    Problem is that if flash gets corrupted, it gets REALLY corrupted.

    Like a large block wiped out.

    May be gone for good mate.
    The Natural Philosopher, Mar 4, 2011
  4. tony sayer

    Steve Walker Guest

    tony sayer wrote:
    > One of our crew has some very important pictures on one of these cards
    > who was using it in a card reader and now for some reason or other its
    > become un-readable by the card reader and camera.
    >
    > I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
    > these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
    > card or camera cannot read the card.
    >
    > Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing with these
    > cards at all and can recommend a software package, free or paid for ?..
    >
    > And yes the person concerned has been given a lecture on data backup but
    > all that resulted in was a flood of tears;!..

    Try www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec - it has worked well for me in the
    past, and it's big brother www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk will recover
    amazing amounts from defective hard drives. Free download, easy install,
    friendly interface (no conflict of interest to declare, I'm just a fan)
    Steve Walker, Mar 4, 2011
  5. tony sayer

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 11:10:03 +0000, Brian Morrison wrote:

    > On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:03:50 +0000
    > tony sayer <> wrote:
    >
    >> I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
    >> these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
    >> card or camera cannot read the card.

    > If you get an XD->SD adapter then try it in a laptop with an SD card
    > slot. I had an unreadable card in an Android phone, when put directly in
    > the SD slot Win 7 64bit managed to read the card and fix the file system
    > OK. Didn't seem to lose much.
    >
    > If more mangled than that, I don't know, there has to be a minimum
    > amount of stuff to allow the card's internal controller to give a
    > recognisable signature to the file system software.
    >
    > Also, possibly a Linux machine could allow a dd command to run on the SD
    > reader device and hence do a sector by sector copy to disk?

    Or, even better, ddrescue.

    --
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org

    Bob Eager, Mar 4, 2011
  6. tony sayer

    jkn Guest

    jkn, Mar 4, 2011
  7. tony sayer

    AlanD Guest

    On 04/03/2011 11:03, tony sayer wrote:

    > One of our crew has some very important pictures on one of these cards
    > who was using it in a card reader and now for some reason or other its
    > become un-readable by the card reader and camera.
    >
    > I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
    > these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
    > card or camera cannot read the card.
    >
    > Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing with these
    > cards at all and can recommend a software package, free or paid for ?..
    >
    > And yes the person concerned has been given a lecture on data backup but
    > all that resulted in was a flood of tears;!..
    >
    > Cheers..

    I've had good results with Stellar recover software
    (http://www.stellarinfo.com/) - with several flash cards, USB sticks and
    hard drives over the years. I believe the free version will analyse the
    drive (card in this case) and show you what's recoverable, but you need
    to purchase it to actually recover the data.

    Alan.
    AlanD, Mar 4, 2011
  8. In article <>, tony sayer
    <> writes

    >Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing with these
    >cards at all and can recommend a software package, free or paid for ?..

    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

    it's designed for just this sort of thing. I've used the companion
    program, TestDisk, a few times and it has saved my bacon more then once.

    --
    Mike Tomlinson
    Mike Tomlinson, Mar 4, 2011
  9. tony sayer

    SS Guest

    "Mike Tomlinson" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, tony sayer
    > <> writes
    >
    >>Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing with these
    >>cards at all and can recommend a software package, free or paid for ?..

    > http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
    >
    > it's designed for just this sort of thing. I've used the companion
    > program, TestDisk, a few times and it has saved my bacon more then once.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Tomlinson

    I cant remember the nam (wish I could) but I used a free download to
    retrieve a corrupted card and it recovered most of them including some I had
    deleted a good while back.
    No harm in downloading a couple and trying them.
    SS, Mar 4, 2011
  10. "tony sayer" <> wrote in message

    > One of our crew has some very important pictures on one of these cards
    > who was using it in a card reader and now for some reason or other its
    > become un-readable by the card reader and camera.
    >
    > I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
    > these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
    > card or camera cannot read the card.
    >
    > Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing with these
    > cards at all and can recommend a software package, free or paid for ?..
    >
    > And yes the person concerned has been given a lecture on data backup but
    > all that resulted in was a flood of tears;!..
    >
    > Cheers..
    > --
    > Tony Sayer

    Check CNET - they have a download for ArtPlus digital recovery. I had an
    older version but ended up not using it, though the interface was simple.
    Don't know about the new version.

    There are others there that claim to do the trick as well.

    http://download.cnet.com
    James D Andrews, Mar 4, 2011
  11. tony sayer

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 18:35:53 +0000, Dave {Reply Address In.Sig} wrote:

    > tony sayer wrote:
    >

    >> One of our crew has some very important pictures on one of these cards
    >> who was using it in a card reader and now for some reason or other its
    >> become un-readable by the card reader and camera.
    >>
    >> I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
    >> these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
    >> card or camera cannot read the card.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing with these
    >> cards at all and can recommend a software package, free or paid for ?..
    >>

    > The first thing you do is put it in a suitable adapter in a Linux
    > machine and use dd to make a back-up image of the card contents. That
    > way if you make it worse, you can always restore to your starting point.
    > (There might be a Windows equivalent but I don't know it.)

    As I said before, it's worth getting ddrescue instead of using dd. It
    works the same way but is more persistent...

    Bob Eager, Mar 4, 2011
  12. tony sayer

    Paul Guest

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 18:35:53 +0000, Dave {Reply Address In.Sig} wrote:
    >
    >> tony sayer wrote:
    >>

    >>> One of our crew has some very important pictures on one of these cards
    >>> who was using it in a card reader and now for some reason or other its
    >>> become un-readable by the card reader and camera.
    >>>
    >>> I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
    >>> these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
    >>> card or camera cannot read the card.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing with these
    >>> cards at all and can recommend a software package, free or paid for ?..
    >>>

    >> The first thing you do is put it in a suitable adapter in a Linux
    >> machine and use dd to make a back-up image of the card contents. That
    >> way if you make it worse, you can always restore to your starting point.
    >> (There might be a Windows equivalent but I don't know it.)

    > As I said before, it's worth getting ddrescue instead of using dd. It
    > works the same way but is more persistent...

    How do flash characteristics compare to the hard drive ?

    I understand a hard drive will try to read a 512 byte sector,
    for up to 15 seconds. Using tools like "ddrescue" is to
    circumvent the long copy times that might result from using "dd".

    But how does flash work ? Does it bog down for 15 seconds ?
    Does it read an entire 128K or 256K block and just give a CRC
    error with it ? Presumably there are some differences, between
    how flash works, and how a hard drive works.

    The flash device can be trashed, if the critical data it keeps,
    such as size or flash chip type, gets corrupted. That would
    likely result in the device not responding at all. In which case,
    dd isn't going to work. (A data recovery expert can hook up to the
    flash chip directly, and get the data off it. But that costs $$$.)

    A hard drive is similar, in that the hard drive keeps critical
    data below track 0, and loads that data at startup. I've had
    a drive fail while running, and the controller lost its identity
    and reported in Windows that it was "Falcon". The drive capacity
    declaration was wrong as well... And of course, all my data was gone
    and the drive didn't respond at all when powered up later. Before
    it said it was "Falcon", I got clicks of death.

    http://datacent.com/datarecovery/hdd/maxtor/Falcon

    Do a "dd --list" on the PC with the flash device connected, and
    if it doesn't get listed, then it could well be broken. I identify
    which drive is which, by their declared sizes. For example, with
    my 8GB USB2 flash stick plugged in, I see an 8GB entry.

    http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 4, 2011
  13. tony sayer

    ZULU Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message

    > One of our crew has some very important pictures on one of these cards
    > who was using it in a card reader and now for some reason or other its
    > become un-readable by the card reader and camera.
    >
    > I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
    > these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
    > card or camera cannot read the card.
    >
    > Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing with these
    > cards at all and can recommend a software package, free or paid for ?..
    >
    > And yes the person concerned has been given a lecture on data backup but
    > all that resulted in was a flood of tears;!..

    You can get a XD>USB adaptor stick for a couple of quid.
    Might be worth a try...

    --
    zulu
    ZULU, Mar 5, 2011
  14. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, tony sayer
    <> scribeth thus

    >One of our crew has some very important pictures on one of these cards
    >who was using it in a card reader and now for some reason or other its
    >become un-readable by the card reader and camera.
    >
    >I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
    >these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
    >card or camera cannot read the card.
    >
    >Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing with these
    >cards at all and can recommend a software package, free or paid for ?..
    >
    >And yes the person concerned has been given a lecture on data backup but
    >all that resulted in was a flood of tears;!..
    >
    >Cheers..

    Thanks to all who replied. We have downloaded 4 types of recommended
    software but it is totally un-recoverable In Fact Two versions wouldn't
    "see" the card at all in a USB reader so we've given up.

    In fact said person was trying to copy the card to backup but in the
    removing of the card from the Camera to the reader that it seems was
    where the fault developed.

    I hear that these cards which it seems are now obsolete were a bit
    problematic in that area...

    cheers...
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Mar 6, 2011
  15. tony sayer wrote:
    > In article <>, tony sayer
    > <> scribeth thus
    >> One of our crew has some very important pictures on one of these cards
    >> who was using it in a card reader and now for some reason or other its
    >> become un-readable by the card reader and camera.
    >>
    >> I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
    >> these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
    >> card or camera cannot read the card.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing with these
    >> cards at all and can recommend a software package, free or paid for ?..
    >>
    >> And yes the person concerned has been given a lecture on data backup but
    >> all that resulted in was a flood of tears;!..
    >>
    >> Cheers..

    > Thanks to all who replied. We have downloaded 4 types of recommended
    > software but it is totally un-recoverable In Fact Two versions wouldn't
    > "see" the card at all in a USB reader so we've given up.
    >
    > In fact said person was trying to copy the card to backup but in the
    > removing of the card from the Camera to the reader that it seems was
    > where the fault developed.
    >
    > I hear that these cards which it seems are now obsolete were a bit
    > problematic in that area...
    >
    > cheers...

    You've not said what make of camera? As a last, despairing hope....

    Olympus have some utilities for their gear on their website, and IIRC,
    that was the make I had problems getting a standard cardreader to recognise.

    http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_software.cfm

    It is even possible, apparently, to foul up the software in the camera,
    so there's a download available for just that event.

    --
    Tciao for Now!

    John.
    John Williamson, Mar 6, 2011
  16. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, John Williamson <johnwilli
    > scribeth thus
    >tony sayer wrote:
    >> In article <>, tony sayer
    >> <> scribeth thus
    >>> One of our crew has some very important pictures on one of these cards
    >>> who was using it in a card reader and now for some reason or other its
    >>> become un-readable by the card reader and camera.
    >>>
    >>> I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
    >>> these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
    >>> card or camera cannot read the card.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing with these
    >>> cards at all and can recommend a software package, free or paid for ?..
    >>>
    >>> And yes the person concerned has been given a lecture on data backup but
    >>> all that resulted in was a flood of tears;!..
    >>>
    >>> Cheers..

    >> Thanks to all who replied. We have downloaded 4 types of recommended
    >> software but it is totally un-recoverable In Fact Two versions wouldn't
    >> "see" the card at all in a USB reader so we've given up.
    >>
    >> In fact said person was trying to copy the card to backup but in the
    >> removing of the card from the Camera to the reader that it seems was
    >> where the fault developed.
    >>
    >> I hear that these cards which it seems are now obsolete were a bit
    >> problematic in that area...
    >>
    >> cheers...

    >You've not said what make of camera? As a last, despairing hope....

    >Olympus have some utilities for their gear on their website, and IIRC,
    >that was the make I had problems getting a standard cardreader to recognise.

    It was actually in an Olympus, albeit an olde one..

    >http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_software.cfm
    >
    >It is even possible, apparently, to foul up the software in the camera,
    >so there's a download available for just that event.

    I'll have a look at that, be interesting to see. I used to have a Fuji
    camera that used these, now changed to a more modern one which uses
    those very small SD? cards..
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Mar 6, 2011
  17. tony sayer wrote:
    > In article <>, John Williamson <johnwilli
    > > scribeth thus
    >> tony sayer wrote:
    >>> In article <>, tony sayer
    >>> <> scribeth thus

    >>> Thanks to all who replied. We have downloaded 4 types of recommended
    >>> software but it is totally un-recoverable In Fact Two versions wouldn't
    >>> "see" the card at all in a USB reader so we've given up.
    >>>
    >>> In fact said person was trying to copy the card to backup but in the
    >>> removing of the card from the Camera to the reader that it seems was
    >>> where the fault developed.
    >>>
    >>> I hear that these cards which it seems are now obsolete were a bit
    >>> problematic in that area...
    >>>
    >>> cheers...

    >> You've not said what make of camera? As a last, despairing hope....

    >> Olympus have some utilities for their gear on their website, and IIRC,
    >> that was the make I had problems getting a standard cardreader to recognise.

    > It was actually in an Olympus, albeit an olde one..
    >> http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_software.cfm
    >>
    >> It is even possible, apparently, to foul up the software in the camera,
    >> so there's a download available for just that event.
    >>

    > I'll have a look at that, be interesting to see. I used to have a Fuji
    > camera that used these, now changed to a more modern one which uses
    > those very small SD? cards..

    The Fujis (All the ones I've seen, at least...) format the card as FAT,
    with a specific directory structure, whereas Olympus cameras seem not to
    use FAT at all, or if they do, the card controller and camera don't
    present it as such.

    --
    Tciao for Now!

    John.