    I run windows xp home.

    Please help.

    Rod

    Rod, May 22, 2006

  2. Rod wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Can anyone tell me how I can xcopy my C: drive to my new drive (tempory
    > slave).
    > I need exact copy over.
    > I run windows xp home.
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Rod

    Use xxcopy, tons of switches to choose from, and a help file that is
    helpful and easy to understand.

    http://www.xxcopy.com/

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, May 22, 2006

  3. Rod

    philo Guest

    "Rod" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Can anyone tell me how I can xcopy my C: drive to my new drive (tempory
    > slave).
    > I need exact copy over.
    > I run windows xp home.

    You cannot use xcopy to clone your drive in XP

    You will need 3rd party cloning software such as Acronius

    philo, May 22, 2006
  4. Rod

    WK Guest

    Or Norton Ghost

    WK, May 22, 2006
  5. Rod

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: "philo"
    <> wrote:

    > "Rod" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> Can anyone tell me how I can xcopy my C: drive to my new drive
    >> (tempory slave).
    >> I need exact copy over.
    >> I run windows xp home.

    > You cannot use xcopy to clone your drive in XP
    >
    > You will need 3rd party cloning software such as Acronius

    That would be Acronis True Image. The last time I looked, you could
    download a 15 day demo copy from their Web site which was actually fully
    functional.

    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, May 22, 2006
  6. Rod

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    > Can anyone tell me how I can xcopy my C: drive to my new drive (tempory
    > slave).
    > I need exact copy over.
    > I run windows xp home.

    Assuming that your C drive is also your Windows Boot drive, it's not
    going to work.

    If you want an EXACT copy, then you need one of the many drive cloning
    programs - Ghost is a good one.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, May 22, 2006
  7. Rod

    Jerry Attic Guest

    "Rod" <> said in news:C5CdnRhj7Kh4r-
    :

    > Hi,
    > Can anyone tell me how I can xcopy my C: drive to my new drive (tempory
    > slave).
    > I need exact copy over.
    > I run windows xp home.
    >
    > Please help.

    Or, you could use the utility that came with the new drive and transfer the
    data with that.

    Jerry Attic, May 22, 2006
  8. Rod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Xns97CBC0F254A2Bicantwank@217.22.228.20,
    Jerry Attic spewed forth:
    > "Rod" <> said in news:C5CdnRhj7Kh4r-
    > :
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> Can anyone tell me how I can xcopy my C: drive to my new drive
    >> (tempory slave).
    >> I need exact copy over.
    >> I run windows xp home.
    >>
    >> Please help.

    > Or, you could use the utility that came with the new drive and
    > transfer the
    > data with that.

    That's what I usually do. Often its called "copy partition" or such, and is
    tucked away in the advanced menus.

    Toolman Tim, May 23, 2006
  9. Rod

    Rod Guest

    Ok thanks everyone for your responce.

    Rod

    Rod, May 23, 2006
  10. Rod

    peecee Guest

    Rod wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Can anyone tell me how I can xcopy my C: drive to my new drive (tempory
    > slave).
    > I need exact copy over.
    > I run windows xp home.
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Rod

    Rod

    There is no need to buy Ghost or other imaging program, xcopy will do
    it just fine.

    Assumptions
    Present system disk = C:
    New system disk mounted as D:

    Start
    Run
    Type "CMD" and press Enter/click OK
    In the black Command window that appears type:

    xcopy c:\*.* d:./e/c/h/r/k
    Then press the enter key
    (just to make that clear 'xcopy space C colon backslash star dot star
    space D colon dot backslash e backslash c backslash h backslash r
    backslash k)

    This will give you an 'almost' exact copy of C: drive on D: drive, all
    you have to do now is change the new drive to your boot drive.
    The difference is win386.swp is not copied across to D: as Windows
    prevent's it.
    As win386.swp is recreated by windows on the fly it is not necessary to
    copy it anyway.

    This will work on Win 98 thru to XP Pro and Home. (despite what others
    'think')

    The only 'Gotcha' you have to watch out for is sometimes XP triggers
    reactivation because of the new hard drive.

    If you want a 'program' to do it for you the freeware xxcopy is the
    best solution.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    peecee, May 23, 2006
  11. Rod

    Ron Martell Guest

    "peecee" <> wrote:

    >Rod
    >
    >There is no need to buy Ghost or other imaging program, xcopy will do
    >it just fine.

    No it won't.

    >Assumptions
    >Present system disk = C:
    >New system disk mounted as D:
    >
    >Start
    >Run
    >Type "CMD" and press Enter/click OK
    >In the black Command window that appears type:
    >
    >xcopy c:\*.* d:./e/c/h/r/k
    >Then press the enter key
    >(just to make that clear 'xcopy space C colon backslash star dot star
    >space D colon dot backslash e backslash c backslash h backslash r
    >backslash k)
    >
    >This will give you an 'almost' exact copy of C: drive on D: drive, all
    >you have to do now is change the new drive to your boot drive.

    The key word here is "almost". Close only counts in horseshoes and
    hand grenades.

    >The difference is win386.swp is not copied across to D: as Windows
    >prevent's it.
    >As win386.swp is recreated by windows on the fly it is not necessary to
    >copy it anyway.

    Windows XP does not use win386.swp. The paging file in Windows XP is
    named pagefile.sys

    >This will work on Win 98 thru to XP Pro and Home. (despite what others
    >'think')

    Not think. Know. As a result of (bitter) experience.

    >The only 'Gotcha' you have to watch out for is sometimes XP triggers
    >reactivation because of the new hard drive.

    Lots of other "gotcha's" with your proposal, with both the 9x version
    as well as XP.

    >If you want a 'program' to do it for you the freeware xxcopy is the
    >best solution.

    At least you got that part right.
    >Cheers
    >Paul.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, May 23, 2006
  12. Rod

    philo Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    > "peecee" <> wrote:
    >

    > >Rod
    > >
    > >There is no need to buy Ghost or other imaging program, xcopy will do
    > >it just fine.
    > >

    > No it won't.

    <snip>

    That's for sure...xcopy may work ok for simple win98 installations
    (other than not making the system bootable)
    but it will not work with XP

    philo, May 23, 2006
  13. Rod

    Jerry Attic Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> said in

    > In news:Xns97CBC0F254A2Bicantwank@217.22.228.20,
    > Jerry Attic spewed forth:
    >> "Rod" <> said in news:C5CdnRhj7Kh4r-
    >> :
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> Can anyone tell me how I can xcopy my C: drive to my new drive
    >>> (tempory slave).
    >>> I need exact copy over.
    >>> I run windows xp home.
    >>>
    >>> Please help.

    >> Or, you could use the utility that came with the new drive and
    >> transfer the
    >> data with that.
    >>

    > That's what I usually do. Often its called "copy partition" or such,
    > and is tucked away in the advanced menus.

    In the case of Western Digital, you can even get a utility that works in
    Windows. I believe the other manufacturers still use one that you have
    to make a bootable floppy disk.

    Jerry Attic, May 23, 2006
  14. Rod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Xns97CBCB8A44F3Eicantwank@217.22.228.20,
    Jerry Attic spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> said in
    >
    >> In news:Xns97CBC0F254A2Bicantwank@217.22.228.20,
    >> Jerry Attic spewed forth:
    >>> "Rod" <> said in news:C5CdnRhj7Kh4r-
    >>> :

    >>> Or, you could use the utility that came with the new drive and
    >>> transfer the
    >>> data with that.
    >>>

    >> That's what I usually do. Often its called "copy partition" or such,
    >> and is tucked away in the advanced menus.

    > In the case of Western Digital, you can even get a utility that works
    > in Windows. I believe the other manufacturers still use one that you
    > have
    > to make a bootable floppy disk.

    For a full partition copy, I don't know if that will work in the Windows
    version. I think there would be problems with files being in-use. But for
    other things, like adding a data drive, testing a drive, etc., the Windows
    version is a good idea.

    Toolman Tim, May 23, 2006
  15. Rod

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > This will work on Win 98 thru to XP Pro and Home. (despite what others
    > 'think')

    It won't make the new disk bootable, it won't move security settings on
    any NTFS folders/files, etc... It also won't move any files IN USE.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, May 23, 2006
  16. Rod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:vxBcg.30617$,
    Leythos spewed forth:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> This will work on Win 98 thru to XP Pro and Home. (despite what
    >> others 'think')

    > It won't make the new disk bootable, it won't move security settings
    > on any NTFS folders/files, etc... It also won't move any files IN USE.

    Which includes (IIRC) the user registry information as well as much of
    Windows itself.

    If the same command were run on a FAT32 system like W9x, booted from a DOS
    diskette, using a second drive that was formatted to be bootable, it works
    *most* of the time.

    I've not tried the xcopy idea on an NTFS system, since it won't boot from a
    DOS diskette and access the drives. Has anyone tried the direct copy
    approach from a bootable Linux distro?

    Toolman Tim, May 23, 2006
  17. Rod

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    >If the same command were run on a FAT32 system like W9x, booted from a DOS
    >diskette, using a second drive that was formatted to be bootable, it works
    >*most* of the time.

    Where it can really screw up is with the short (8+3) file names where
    there are multiple instances of files or folders using long file names
    that start with the same six characters. Example = Microsoft........

    See http://onlinehelp.bc.ca/tips#newdisk for a simple demonstration as
    to how this can occur.

    Ron Martell, May 23, 2006
  18. Rod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Ron Martell spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:
    >
    >> If the same command were run on a FAT32 system like W9x, booted from
    >> a DOS diskette, using a second drive that was formatted to be
    >> bootable, it works *most* of the time.
    >>

    > Where it can really screw up is with the short (8+3) file names where
    > there are multiple instances of files or folders using long file names
    > that start with the same six characters. Example = Microsoft........
    >
    > See http://onlinehelp.bc.ca/tips#newdisk for a simple demonstration as
    > to how this can occur.

    Very true - thanks for the reminder.

    Toolman Tim, May 23, 2006
  19. Rod

    fkasner Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:vxBcg.30617$,
    > Leythos spewed forth:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>> This will work on Win 98 thru to XP Pro and Home. (despite what
    >>> others 'think')

    >> It won't make the new disk bootable, it won't move security settings
    >> on any NTFS folders/files, etc... It also won't move any files IN USE.

    > Which includes (IIRC) the user registry information as well as much of
    > Windows itself.
    >
    > If the same command were run on a FAT32 system like W9x, booted from a DOS
    > diskette, using a second drive that was formatted to be bootable, it works
    > *most* of the time.
    >
    > I've not tried the xcopy idea on an NTFS system, since it won't boot from a
    > DOS diskette and access the drives. Has anyone tried the direct copy
    > approach from a bootable Linux distro?

    You can't make a system disk (IO.SYS as a system file) in XP. The xcopy
    program is not a clone of the old type xcopy that worked in DOS and
    Win9X. However you might try xxcopy (use Google to find it) which is
    remarkably versatile and has a huge number of possible different
    variables including the ability to "clone" a whole disk to another disk.
    FK

    fkasner, May 24, 2006