    or 'Cannot find the files I a trying to exclude.

    Will someone help me exclude My Documents\My Music from the copying, please?

    Thank you.

    Jack Gillis, Jul 17, 2007

  2. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    I forgot to mention I am running XP2 SP2.

    Thanks again.

    Jack Gillis, Jul 17, 2007

  3. Jack Gillis

    thanatoid Guest

    "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in

    > I have an old fashioned batch file I use very often to do a
    > backup of My Documents to a USB Flash Drive.
    >
    > It contains, among other things, this statement and works
    > just fine and has so for years.
    >
    > xcopy "d:\My Documents\*.*" "U:\My Documents\" /D /Y /s
    >
    > I have added many MP3 files to My Music and there is not
    > room for them on the USB Drive. Have tried to use the
    > /EXCLUDE parameter tacked on to the end of the statement
    > but cannot get it to work. I keep getting 'parse' error or
    > 'Cannot find the files I a trying to exclude.
    >
    > Will someone help me exclude My Documents\My Music from the
    > copying, please?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Move "My Music" to its OWN directory and change the DL etc.
    options in whatever programs use that directory accordingly.

    You might want to consider getting rid of "My Documents"
    altogether and setting up some real directories on another
    partition.

    Data and OS don't mix well on the same partition, something,
    sadly, largely forgotten.

    --
    Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
    reality.

    thanatoid, Jul 17, 2007
  4. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have an old fashioned batch file I use very often to do a
    >> backup of My Documents to a USB Flash Drive.
    >>
    >> It contains, among other things, this statement and works
    >> just fine and has so for years.
    >>
    >> xcopy "d:\My Documents\*.*" "U:\My Documents\" /D /Y /s
    >>
    >> I have added many MP3 files to My Music and there is not
    >> room for them on the USB Drive. Have tried to use the
    >> /EXCLUDE parameter tacked on to the end of the statement
    >> but cannot get it to work. I keep getting 'parse' error or
    >> 'Cannot find the files I a trying to exclude.
    >>
    >> Will someone help me exclude My Documents\My Music from the
    >> copying, please?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > Move "My Music" to its OWN directory and change the DL etc.
    > options in whatever programs use that directory accordingly.
    >
    > You might want to consider getting rid of "My Documents"
    > altogether and setting up some real directories on another
    > partition.
    >
    > Data and OS don't mix well on the same partition, something,
    > sadly, largely forgotten.
    >

    > --
    > Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
    > reality.

    Thank you very much, he said embarrassingly! I did that years ago for My
    Pictures to solve the exact same problem but it never dawned on my to do it
    in this case.

    I agree 100% about keeping data off the System partition. I did it under
    OS/2 and Linux years ago and is why I immediately moved My Documents to D:
    when I set up XP. XP is my first Windows version.

    Thanks again.

    Jack Gillis, Jul 17, 2007
  5. Jack Gillis

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:26:39 -0400, Jack Gillis wrote:

    >"thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    >> "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have an old fashioned batch file I use very often to do a
    >>> backup of My Documents to a USB Flash Drive.
    >>>
    >>> It contains, among other things, this statement and works
    >>> just fine and has so for years.
    >>>
    >>> xcopy "d:\My Documents\*.*" "U:\My Documents\" /D /Y /s
    >>>
    >>> I have added many MP3 files to My Music and there is not
    >>> room for them on the USB Drive. Have tried to use the
    >>> /EXCLUDE parameter tacked on to the end of the statement
    >>> but cannot get it to work. I keep getting 'parse' error or
    >>> 'Cannot find the files I a trying to exclude.

    <snip>

    >> You might want to consider getting rid of "My Documents"
    >> altogether and setting up some real directories on another
    >> partition.
    >>
    >> Data and OS don't mix well on the same partition, something,
    >> sadly, largely forgotten.

    <snip sig>

    >Thank you very much, he said embarrassingly! I did that years ago for My
    >Pictures to solve the exact same problem but it never dawned on my to do it
    >in this case.

    Last time I did anything like that was using command line zip tools and
    2 files with include and exclude file specs. Was a lot easier.

    rar uses,

    x@<list> Exclude files in specified list file
    n@<list> Include files in specified list file

    If you want to stick with the xcopy, then search old posts in 24HSHD
    and the posts with NT/2000/XP Batch file tutorial sites.

    Then figure this out, was handy until MS indroduced arp -d *
    for /f "tokens=1,* delims= " %a in ('arp -a') do arp -d
    that's delims=[space]"

    Computing.Net - Xcopy exclude help! Please read
    Hey! I'm new to xcopy but i get the overall idea. I've been keeping my
    script simple, what my script does is a copy of important files on my
    computer ...
    www.computing.net/programming/wwwboard/forum/12611.html - 36k - Cached -
    Similar pages

    Computing.Net - Using xcopy /exclude with folders?
    Is it possible to use the xcopy command in a batch file with the
    /exclude tag to exclude an entire folder? Essentially what I have is an
    xcopy from ...
    www.computing.net/programming/wwwboard/forum/12991.html - 18k - Cached -
    Similar pages

    BAT file - XCOPY, way to exclude a folder(s)?
    Talk about BAT file - XCOPY, way to exclude a folder(s)?
    www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t183489-bat-file-xcopy-way-to-exclude-a-folders.html
    - 43k - Cached - Similar pages

    Microsoft Windows XP - Xcopy
    By default, xcopy does not copy hidden or system files. ... If you
    specify the string ".obj", you exclude all files with the .obj
    extension. ...
    www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/xcopy.mspx
    - 22k - Cached - Similar pages

    How to use the "exclude" option in xcopy?
    How to use the "exclude" option in xcopy?-
    microsoft.public.win2000.developer. Visit our forum to discuss How to
    use the "exclude" option in xcopy?
    www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1469487.php - 45k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    >I agree 100% about keeping data off the System partition. I did it under
    >OS/2 and Linux years ago and is why I immediately moved My Documents to D:
    >when I set up XP. XP is my first Windows version.
    >
    >Thanks again.

    Me

    why?, Jul 17, 2007
  6. Jack Gillis

    thanatoid Guest

    "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in

    > I did that
    > years ago for My Pictures to solve the exact same problem
    > but it never dawned on my to do it in this case.

    Funny how things slip our minds as we get older, huh? I am
    sometimes horrified at not being able to do things which were a
    piece of cake 10 years ago.

    <SNIP>

    > Thanks again.

    My pleasure.

    thanatoid, Jul 17, 2007
  7. Jack Gillis

    Fred Kasner Guest

    Jack Gillis wrote:
    > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    >> "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have an old fashioned batch file I use very often to do a
    >>> backup of My Documents to a USB Flash Drive.
    >>>
    >>> It contains, among other things, this statement and works
    >>> just fine and has so for years.
    >>>
    >>> xcopy "d:\My Documents\*.*" "U:\My Documents\" /D /Y /s
    >>>
    >>> I have added many MP3 files to My Music and there is not
    >>> room for them on the USB Drive. Have tried to use the
    >>> /EXCLUDE parameter tacked on to the end of the statement
    >>> but cannot get it to work. I keep getting 'parse' error or
    >>> 'Cannot find the files I a trying to exclude.
    >>>
    >>> Will someone help me exclude My Documents\My Music from the
    >>> copying, please?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.

    >> Move "My Music" to its OWN directory and change the DL etc.
    >> options in whatever programs use that directory accordingly.
    >>
    >> You might want to consider getting rid of "My Documents"
    >> altogether and setting up some real directories on another
    >> partition.
    >>
    >> Data and OS don't mix well on the same partition, something,
    >> sadly, largely forgotten.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
    >> reality.

    > Thank you very much, he said embarrassingly! I did that years ago for My
    > Pictures to solve the exact same problem but it never dawned on my to do it
    > in this case.
    >
    > I agree 100% about keeping data off the System partition. I did it under
    > OS/2 and Linux years ago and is why I immediately moved My Documents to D:
    > when I set up XP. XP is my first Windows version.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    Not true at all! If you had OS/2 you also had Windows. You may not have
    used it, but it was there for you to use. I used OS/2 quite a bit when
    my version of Windows was 3.1. I never had a crash with OS/2 and had
    lots of them witn Windows from 3.1 all the way up to XP Pro SP2. And
    never have had a crash with Linux.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Jul 18, 2007
  8. Fred Kasner wrote:

    > Not true at all! If you had OS/2 you also had Windows. You may not have
    > used it, but it was there for you to use. I used OS/2 quite a bit when
    > my version of Windows was 3.1. I never had a crash with OS/2 and had
    > lots of them witn Windows from 3.1 all the way up to XP Pro SP2. And
    > never have had a crash with Linux.

    I guess what I've had with Linux wouldn't be called a crash, there was
    still a little somthing going on. But the system was basically frozen.
    Didn't happen often, not trying to claim Windows is more stable. But
    sometimes I did have to reboot.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 18, 2007
  9. Jack Gillis

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I did that
    >> years ago for My Pictures to solve the exact same problem
    >> but it never dawned on my to do it in this case.

    > Funny how things slip our minds as we get older, huh? I am
    > sometimes horrified at not being able to do things which were a
    > piece of cake 10 years ago.

    Add to that a bad night's sleep, and it gets even worse! I sat at work and
    stared at my computer for nearly 10 minutes trying to remember what I was
    supposed to be doing this morning <grin>

    WhzzKdd, Jul 18, 2007
  10. Jack Gillis

    thanatoid Guest

    "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in

    > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    >> "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I did that
    >>> years ago for My Pictures to solve the exact same problem
    >>> but it never dawned on my to do it in this case.

    >> Funny how things slip our minds as we get older, huh? I am
    >> sometimes horrified at not being able to do things which
    >> were a piece of cake 10 years ago.
    >>

    > Add to that a bad night's sleep, and it gets even worse! I
    > sat at work and stared at my computer for nearly 10 minutes
    > trying to remember what I was supposed to be doing this
    > morning <grin>

    I don't even need to be in front of a computer for this to
    happen!

    thanatoid, Jul 18, 2007
  11. Jack Gillis

    Jordon Guest

    Jack Gillis wrote:
    > I have an old fashioned batch file I use very often to do a backup of My
    > Documents to a USB Flash Drive.
    >
    > It contains, among other things, this statement and works just fine and has
    > so for years.
    >
    > xcopy "d:\My Documents\*.*" "U:\My Documents\" /D /Y /s
    >
    > I have added many MP3 files to My Music and there is not room for them on
    > the USB Drive. Have tried to use the /EXCLUDE parameter tacked on to the
    > end of the statement but cannot get it to work. I keep getting 'parse' error
    > or 'Cannot find the files I a trying to exclude.
    >
    > Will someone help me exclude My Documents\My Music from the copying, please?

    get xxcopy...

    www.xxcopy.com

    It's like xcopy but has a bazillion extra switches.

    --
    Jordon

    Jordon, Jul 18, 2007