    enjoyable.
    I understand Xbox Live is due to launch here next year. Thats a long time to
    wait - by then I'll be looking ahead to my next-gen console purchase.

    Ali P, Aug 23, 2003

  2. Ali P

    Carl Elphick Guest

    "Ali P" <> wrote in message
    news:E9A1b.13331$...

    > I understand Xbox Live is due to launch here next year. Thats a long time

    > wait - by then I'll be looking ahead to my next-gen console purchase.

    Someone I talked to once I a shop selling Xbox's is MS proberly won't
    introduce Xbox live to NZ for the time being due to our broadband pricing
    being so expensive..
    Maybe if we had the pricing that some Aussie ISP's offer for ADSL they would
    think twice! Tho long as Telecom is in full control I don't see it
    happening...

    ---

    Carl Elphick, Aug 23, 2003

  3. "Ali P" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, anyone here using Xbox Live? From what I understand it is possible to
    > order the Live kit from the US and subscribe/connect from New Zealand.
    > I am running Jetstream Starter (128k) with a Nokia M11 ADSL router and I'm
    > quite interested in getting set up for Xbox Live. I realise the 128k just
    > barely meets the minimum specs and I might need to upgrade the router to

    one
    > on the approved list.
    > What I'd like to know is whether the ping times etc and the comparitively
    > low bandwidth (compared to REAL broadband) makes the service usable and
    > enjoyable.

    JetStart is fast enough to play most of the Xbox Live enabled games
    (certainly all the ones I've tried - MechAssault, Ghost Recon, Midtown
    Maddnes, MotoGP)
    The most annoything about the 128k Jetstart connection is the slowness for
    downloading new content, like updates, new maps, new weapons etc, other than
    that playing and even using the voice commander seems fine to me. I
    normally play online about an hour a day.

    There's quite a selection of Live enabled games nowadays
    http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/Games/Live-GamesList.htm

    > I understand Xbox Live is due to launch here next year. Thats a long time

    > wait - by then I'll be looking ahead to my next-gen console purchase.

    and still waiting for them to ship...

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 24, 2003