Xbox 360 to have HD-DVD drives

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Jul 2, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Xbox 360 to have HD-DVD drives

    Written by Ravdeep Hora
    Tuesday, 28 June 2005

    Yesterday, when Microsoft and Toshiba announced their enhanced
    partnership for Toshiba’s upcoming products, Bill Gates said Microsoft
    doesn’t necessarily favor one HD standard over the other, and the
    software maker would prefer to stay out of the competition. Today,
    however, Gates stated that Xbox 360, the company’s upcoming gaming
    console, would actually have HD-DVD drives.

    Since the HD-DVD drives probably won’t be ready by the time Xbox 360
    is available in retail channels, Microsoft said it would ship the
    console initially with regular DVD drives and then revise the console
    with HD-DVD drives once they are ready.

    According to industry reports and analyst speculations, Microsoft may
    have an edge against Sony’s PlayStation 3 with more sales, since the
    company would have its Xbox 360 ready for shipment way before Sony, or
    even Nintendo.

    http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1473

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Jul 2, 2005

  2. Allan

    Galley Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 12:44:36 -0400, Allan <>
    spewed forth these words of wisdom:

    > Xbox 360 to have HD-DVD drives
    >
    >Written by Ravdeep Hora
    >Tuesday, 28 June 2005
    >

    >Yesterday, when Microsoft and Toshiba announced their enhanced
    >partnership for Toshiba’s upcoming products, Bill Gates said Microsoft
    >doesn’t necessarily favor one HD standard over the other, and the
    >software maker would prefer to stay out of the competition. Today,
    >however, Gates stated that Xbox 360, the company’s upcoming gaming
    >console, would actually have HD-DVD drives.
    >
    >Since the HD-DVD drives probably won’t be ready by the time Xbox 360
    >is available in retail channels, Microsoft said it would ship the
    >console initially with regular DVD drives and then revise the console
    >with HD-DVD drives once they are ready.
    >
    >According to industry reports and analyst speculations, Microsoft may
    >have an edge against Sony’s PlayStation 3 with more sales, since the
    >company would have its Xbox 360 ready for shipment way before Sony, or
    >even Nintendo.
    >
    >http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1473

    So that means there's absolutely no reason to buy an Xbox 360 at launch.

    Galley
    Galley, Jul 6, 2005