XBOX 360 Networking with WAP

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Nick Le Lievre, Feb 25, 2007.

  1. Hi

    I`m thinking about buying a 360 Core system. I believe it has a built in
    ethernet controller but the wireless is an expensive add-on. Am I right
    about this?

    If so then I propose to network the XBOX 360 to my existing wireless router
    in this fashion. I have a spare 802.11b Wireless Access Point which I will
    connect to the ethernet port of the XBOX. I will then install a USB Wi-Fi
    Adapter I got free with my router into my laptop in conjunction with the
    built in wireless adapter and create a bridge between the 2 wifi adapters.

    One adapter will be connected to the 802.11b access point and therefore the
    XBOX 360 and the other will be connected to the 802.11g wireless router and
    therefore the Internet.

    802.11g router IP address 192.168.0.1
    Built-In Wifi adapter on laptop IP Address 192.168.0.2
    USB Wifi adapter IP Address on laptop 192.168.0.3
    Bridge created under XP linking 192.168.0.2 & 192.168.0.3 to same network
    802.11b Wireless Access Point 192.168.0.253
    XBOX 360 192.168.0.4

    802.11b Wireless Access Point has 192.168.0.1 as its Default Gateway, as
    does XBOX 360 & the laptops bridged WiFi adapters. Therefore I can access
    the Internet on the XBOX360 whilst the laptop is on providing a bridge
    between the 2 wireless networks. My only concern is whether I can connect 2
    wireless adapters to 2 seperate wireless networks at the same time. I should
    be able to do this with the manufacturers utility as I don't think WZC will
    handle this but I`m not sure and whether XP will allow me to bridge between
    them which it should be able to do as both Wifi adapter will be seen under
    network connections. The eventual ping time between the XBOX 360 which is
    connected firstly by ethernet to WAP then across a wifi link to a laptop
    then bridged to another Wireless network across another wireless link to the
    Router and therefore the Internet is also a concern.

    It seems a complicated setup but seeing as I have a spare WAP and USB Wifi
    adapter I would like to make use of them as long as the eventual ping
    between the XBOX 360 and the Router isn't too bad.

    Nick Le Lievre, Feb 25, 2007

  2. "Nick Le Lievre" <> wrote in message
    > It seems a complicated setup but seeing as I have a spare WAP and USB Wifi
    > adapter I would like to make use of them as long as the eventual ping
    > between the XBOX 360 and the Router isn't too bad.

    The other option I have is to connect the XBOX 360 to the laptops ethernet
    port via crossover cable then bridge to the 802.11g network under XP this
    would cut out the need for another wireless link but would mean I would have
    to position the laptop close to the XBOX 360 (within 1M) when using the 360
    online or run a couple metre cable across the floor to the laptop whilst its
    placed on the couch in front of the tele. Doing it this way may reduce some
    ping time I don't know but I`d prefer a totally wireless connection between
    the laptop, xbox 360 and router. The WAP would have to be positioned near
    the XBOX 360 at all times connected via a 1M cable which would be fine but
    it`d be a bit more uncomfortable to have the laptop close to the 360 or to
    have to run a cable as I would like to use the laptop on the Internet at the
    same time as the 360 at times.

    Nick Le Lievre, Feb 25, 2007

  3. Hi
    In principle the two scheme are possible solutions.
    However, to be working on the X-Box the Access Point need to be configured
    as a Wireless Client, not all Access Point can be configured this way. So
    check the Access Point Manual ( http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html )
    In order to Bridge you need WinXP Pro on the Laptop, the second Network
    between the Laptop and the X-box, whether wire, or wireless, can not be on
    the same subnet as the first one. I.e if the first is 192.168.0.x the second
    and in the Laptop and the Client Access Point need to 192.168.2.x
    If the Laptop does not run WinXP Pro you can use ICS.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 25, 2007
  4. "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > In principle the two scheme are possible solutions.
    > However, to be working on the X-Box the Access Point need to be configured
    > as a Wireless Client, not all Access Point can be configured this way. So
    > check the Access Point Manual (
    > http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html )

    Well I`ve used the Wireless Access Point in the past connected to a PC via
    ethernet to provide Internet via ICS running on that PC and to other
    wireless PCs through the Access Point. The Access Point has a setting for IP
    Address and Gateway and is not bothered what the gateway is it could be an
    ICS machine or it could be the wireless router, as long as it can connect to
    the gateways IP in some way it should let other Wireless Clients connected
    to that WAP connect through it to the specified gateway.

    > In order to Bridge you need WinXP Pro on the Laptop, the second Network
    > between the Laptop and the X-box, whether wire, or wireless, can not be on
    > the same subnet as the first one.

    I have media centre edition on the laptop (soon to be upgraded to Vista Home
    Premium) and the bridging option is there. The second network won't be on
    the same subnet as the first as they won't be physically connected so even
    though they have IP address in the same subnet they are technically on 2
    different subnets with the same IP address range. What the bridging will do
    is link the 2 subnets into 1 so it doesn't matter whether they are in the
    same subnet to begin with - the bridge will link the two. I have specified
    192.168.0.x but as they are 2 seperate subnets before the bridge it doesn't
    matter if they are in the same address range or not - are you saying they
    have to be in different subnets for it to work - well they are in that they
    are in 2 physically seperate subnets but are you saying that it will not if
    they are in the same subnet range? I think it will after the bridge but I
    could be wrong.

    > I.e if the first is 192.168.0.x the second and in the Laptop and the
    > Client Access Point need to 192.168.2.x
    > If the Laptop does not run WinXP Pro you can use ICS.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    I`d still have to bridge the 2 networks for it to work, ICS isn't bridging
    but I have bridging available from a right click in network connections with
    MCE currently.

    Nick Le Lievre, Feb 25, 2007
  5. Re: XBOX 360 Bridging with Wireless Adapter

    >> Hi
    >> In principle the two scheme are possible solutions.
    >> However, to be working on the X-Box the Access Point need to be
    >> configured as a Wireless Client, not all Access Point can be configured
    >> this way. So check the Access Point Manual (
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html )

    > Well I`ve used the Wireless Access Point in the past connected to a PC via
    > ethernet to provide Internet via ICS running on that PC and to other
    > wireless PCs through the Access Point. The Access Point has a setting for
    > IP Address and Gateway and is not bothered what the gateway is it could be
    > an ICS machine or it could be the wireless router, as long as it can
    > connect to the gateways IP in some way it should let other Wireless
    > Clients connected to that WAP connect through it to the specified gateway.
    >
    >> In order to Bridge you need WinXP Pro on the Laptop, the second Network
    >> between the Laptop and the X-box, whether wire, or wireless, can not be
    >> on the same subnet as the first one.

    > I have media centre edition on the laptop (soon to be upgraded to Vista
    > Home Premium) and the bridging option is there. The second network won't
    > be on the same subnet as the first as they won't be physically connected
    > so even though they have IP address in the same subnet they are
    > technically on 2 different subnets with the same IP address range. What
    > the bridging will do is link the 2 subnets into 1 so it doesn't matter
    > whether they are in the same subnet to begin with - the bridge will link
    > the two. I have specified 192.168.0.x but as they are 2 seperate subnets
    > before the bridge it doesn't matter if they are in the same address range
    > or not - are you saying they have to be in different subnets for it to
    > work - well they are in that they are in 2 physically seperate subnets but
    > are you saying that it will not if they are in the same subnet range? I
    > think it will after the bridge but I could be wrong.
    >
    >> I.e if the first is 192.168.0.x the second and in the Laptop and the
    >> Client Access Point need to 192.168.2.x
    >> If the Laptop does not run WinXP Pro you can use ICS.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > I`d still have to bridge the 2 networks for it to work, ICS isn't bridging
    > but I have bridging available from a right click in network connections
    > with MCE currently.

    I had the opportunity to try this out today and after the first attempt I
    got nowhere. I bridged the 2 wireless adapters making sure they were both
    set to obtain ip address automatically but the network bridge could not
    obtain an ip address. When I set 192.168.0.2 GW 192.168.0.1 DNS 192.168.0.1
    manually it could not ping the GW. So I gave up then later I searched google
    and found this;

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02april22.mspx

    It says a lot of people encounter problems when their wireless adapter won't
    work in promiscious mode... and there is a command to force compatibility
    mode. Both my wireless adapters were not in compatibility mode so I forced
    them into it firstly with the netsh bridge show adapter then netsh bridge
    set a 1 e and netsh bridge set a 2 e . After doing this I was then able to
    ping both the wireless router and the wireless access point whilst the
    bridge was active then I could connect to xbox live on my xbox. However the
    wireless link is a bit flakey and will regularly lose connection and stop
    pinging I`m going to look into this... but if you were just bridging a
    wireless adapter to an wired adapter then it might be fine.

    Just remember to set your wireless adapter to compatibility mode as above
    and manually set the network bridges ip to match your wireless router and
    wireless access point subnet range.

    Nick Le Lievre, Mar 13, 2007
  6. Re: XBOX 360 Networking with Wireless Adapter

    > I had the opportunity to try this out today and after the first attempt I
    > got nowhere. I bridged the 2 wireless adapters making sure they were both
    > set to obtain ip address automatically but the network bridge could not
    > obtain an ip address. When I set 192.168.0.2 GW 192.168.0.1 DNS
    > 192.168.0.1
    > manually it could not ping the GW. So I gave up then later I searched
    > google
    > and found this;
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02april22.mspx
    >
    > It says a lot of people encounter problems when their wireless adapter
    > won't
    > work in promiscious mode... and there is a command to force compatibility
    > mode. Both my wireless adapters were not in compatibility mode so I forced
    > them into it firstly with the netsh bridge show adapter then netsh bridge
    > set a 1 e and netsh bridge set a 2 e . After doing this I was then able to
    > ping both the wireless router and the wireless access point whilst the
    > bridge was active then I could connect to xbox live on my xbox. However
    > the
    > wireless link is a bit flakey and will regularly lose connection and stop
    > pinging I`m going to look into this... but if you were just bridging a
    > wireless adapter to an wired adapter then it might be fine.
    >
    > Just remember to set your wireless adapter to compatibility mode as above
    > and manually set the network bridges ip to match your wireless router and
    > wireless access point subnet range.

    What I have found is that bridging 2 wireless adapters together doesn't work
    very well - if at all - as the wireless adapters don't like to share an IP
    address and connect to a wireless LAN at the same time. However bridging 1
    wireless adapter with a wired adapter works perfectly once you have set
    force compatibility mode as detailed above and set the network bridges IP
    address manually to be in the same subnet as your wireless router and your
    xbox 360.

    Nick Le Lievre, Mar 13, 2007