    i just downloaded Xandros last night
    then installed it today.
    it looks like a good one!
    philo, Apr 21, 2005

  2. philo

    Parko Guest

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 15:49:31 -0500, philo wrote:

    > just a word to all you folks who like to fool around with linux.
    > i just downloaded Xandros last night
    > then installed it today.
    > it looks like a good one!

    Assuming you have a /home partition, play away
    with whatever. Didn't like Xandros, mind you I'm fooling with Mepis at the
    moment. The main distinction between Linux distributions at the moment are
    to do with configuration utilities, and Mandriva beats the lot hands down.

    --
    Parko
    Parko, Apr 24, 2005

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    "Parko" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 15:49:31 -0500, philo wrote:
    >
    >> just a word to all you folks who like to fool around with linux.
    >> i just downloaded Xandros last night
    >> then installed it today.
    >> it looks like a good one!

    > Assuming you have a /home partition, play away
    > with whatever. Didn't like Xandros, mind you I'm fooling with Mepis at the
    > moment. The main distinction between Linux distributions at the moment are
    > to do with configuration utilities, and Mandriva beats the lot hands down.

    well, now that I've played with Xandros for a few days...thought i'd report
    back:
    it works well and has a very refined-looking gui. all in all...nice.
    that's the good news ...
    however for folks looking for a "free" OS...it's more geared towards
    purchasing features.
    IE: cd burner is crippled unless you pay.
    and though wine works great...it's within a proprietary package which
    you need to buy if you want to go beyond the 30 day trial.
    Don't know if you can even install other apps or compile them as gcc
    is missing...and have not tried to install non-Xandros apps.

    instead of trying Mepis as my next step...
    i decided to just give Debian- Woody a try...
    looks like a real good system for folks who like to really
    customize their installtion...without being quite so difficult as Gentoo.
    I did the ftp install last night...
    then woke up ( or the cat woke me up at 4:30) am and did the configuration.

    of course since it was just a "test" install...did not create any users...
    then ugh, came up with the grahical login screen that would not let you
    log in as root...
    so had to open a terminal and add a user...
    then allow root login by using gdm!
    but after that all works well!

    oh, almost forgot...
    the graphical installation menu was not supported
    by my old compaq monitor...the screen just flashed...
    so i had to use another monitor...

    i guess my only gripe with so many linux distros
    is that they default to hi-res gui installers...
    i guess they assume no one is using old junk anymore like i do
    philo, Apr 24, 2005
  4. I believe that it was on Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:38:42 -0500, that philo
    wrote:

    > "Parko" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 15:49:31 -0500, philo wrote:
    >>
    >>> just a word to all you folks who like to fool around with linux. i just
    >>> downloaded Xandros last night
    >>> then installed it today.
    >>> it looks like a good one!

    >> Assuming you have a /home partition, play away with whatever. Didn't
    >> like Xandros, mind you I'm fooling with Mepis at the moment. The main
    >> distinction between Linux distributions at the moment are to do with
    >> configuration utilities, and Mandriva beats the lot hands down.
    >>

    > well, now that I've played with Xandros for a few days...thought i'd
    > report back:
    > it works well and has a very refined-looking gui. all in all...nice.
    > that's the good news ...
    > however for folks looking for a "free" OS...it's more geared towards
    > purchasing features.
    > IE: cd burner is crippled unless you pay. and though wine works
    > great...it's within a proprietary package which you need to buy if you
    > want to go beyond the 30 day trial. Don't know if you can even install
    > other apps or compile them as gcc is missing...and have not tried to
    > install non-Xandros apps.
    >
    > instead of trying Mepis as my next step... i decided to just give Debian-
    > Woody a try... looks like a real good system for folks who like to really
    > customize their installtion...without being quite so difficult as Gentoo.
    > I did the ftp install last night...
    > then woke up ( or the cat woke me up at 4:30) am and did the
    > configuration.
    >
    > of course since it was just a "test" install...did not create any users...
    > then ugh, came up with the grahical login screen that would not let you
    > log in as root...
    > so had to open a terminal and add a user... then allow root login by using
    > gdm!
    > but after that all works well!
    >
    > oh, almost forgot...
    > the graphical installation menu was not supported by my old compaq
    > monitor...the screen just flashed... so i had to use another monitor...
    >
    > i guess my only gripe with so many linux distros is that they default to
    > hi-res gui installers... i guess they assume no one is using old junk
    > anymore like i do

    You could tell it to use a command line login (init 3), then download a
    simple GUI such as:
    Blackbox - http://linuxgazette.net/issue30/ayers1.html
    Fluxbox - http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/
    FVWM - http://www.fvwm.org/
    Xfce - http://www.xfce.org/
    etc..
    Perce P. Cassidy, Apr 24, 2005
  5. philo

    philo Guest

    Perce P. Cassidy wrote:
    > I believe that it was on Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:38:42 -0500, that philo
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Parko" <> wrote in message

    > You could tell it to use a command line login (init 3), then download a
    > simple GUI such as:
    > Blackbox - http://linuxgazette.net/issue30/ayers1.html
    > Fluxbox - http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/
    > FVWM - http://www.fvwm.org/
    > Xfce - http://www.xfce.org/
    > etc..

    i do use xfce on my lower end machines...
    the problem i had was that the installtion defaulted to too high
    of a video resolution and there was not a "novesa" or "novga16" option
    philo, Apr 24, 2005