Xandros Linux....just tried it...it rocks

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by grappletech, Oct 6, 2006.

  1. grappletech

    grappletech Guest

    I've been wanting to try Linux. I downloaded 3 or 4 flavors of it and
    never could get any of them to work with my equipment. At the library
    yesterday, I was perusing the computer section and came across "Linux
    Made Easy" book with a copy of Xandros 3 in the back on CD-ROM. I
    checked the book out. Xandros loaded easily onto my sff HP ePC 1.0
    gigahertz Celeron. When installing, it has 10 differrent configurations
    on the CD, so if one of the config's don't work (hangs up), just restart
    and try the next one. After you find the right one, Xandros will
    install itself. It gives you several options. You could have Windows
    erased and Xandros installed over it, or you could keep Windows and
    Xandros will install itself in a different partition.

    It worked great and recognized all my hardware. It has High Color, the
    ethernet card and thus the internet works, the mouse has all it's
    functions (the scrolling wheel even works), everything works.

    It's very, very similar to Windows XP. You can change the look and feel
    of it and make it look like WinXP, Apple OS, classic KDE, etc.. It
    includes (built in) all the software you need -- just a few of which are
    a web browser (mozilla firefox), mail (mozilla thunderbird), mp3 player,
    media player, paint program, games (card/arcade), digital camera
    capture/edit, plus OpenOffice suite (like Microsoft Office) which
    includes word processor, spreadsheet, database, presentation software.

    Updating and adding new software is easy because there's a Xandros
    update center where you go and you hit a button, and it automatically
    downloads all updates to the Xandros OS and all the updates to the apps.
    Sometimes, other flavors of Linux require you going on a wild goose
    chase to get all of the various bits you need to install or update
    (called dependencies), but XandrOS doesn't have that hassle.

    I highly recommend it. Also, it'd be great for someone you know you
    can't afford to upgrade out of Win95,Win98. It's free and will then
    give them a WinXP like OS.

    grappletech, Oct 6, 2006

  2. grappletech

    Travis Guest

    I'll give it a try. Usually linux works on all systems, it's pretty
    compatable. If you get graphics problems, use the old vsesa or something
    like that. It works better than the other one sometimes.

    Have you tried: Kubuntu (KDE), Ubuntu (Gnome), and PuppyOS? Puppy is a
    minimalist, it's about 50MB and ubuntu are full debian based distros that
    are in Gnome or KDE, and Xubuntu comes in some other new system. It's very
    compatable, 6.06 is easy to install (all GUI). And it's a great OS, comes
    with Evolution Mail and FireFox 1.5, and it can be upgraded to 2 RC1 and
    such.

    FTP support for Ubuntu is great, it's fast and easy, I don't like Mac or
    vista/xp FTP as it's crap.

    Travis, Oct 7, 2006