    it ? Does it play nice in a Win xp network ?
    From what I've read it sounds great.

    Cheers

    ---

    Gooseman, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Gooseman

    steve Guest

    Gooseman wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > Just wondering if anyone is using this os...and if so what do you think of
    > it ? Does it play nice in a Win xp network ?
    > From what I've read it sounds great.

    I use it.

    I was a long time red hat user - from 6.1 on up to 9.0.

    Most other distros I tried were either about as good, almost as good....or
    not as good.....so there was little incentive to use others.

    Xandros 2.0 was preceded by v1.0 and Corel Linux 1.0...before Microsoft
    forced Corel to divest Linux in return for a US$35M bail-out.

    Xandros 2.0 Deluxe has the following main advantages that make it GOOD.

    1. Best device detection I've ever seen in any Linux distro - ever.

    2. nVidia binary drivers installed by default. (Means: Ready for gaming)

    3. Xandros File Manager - automounts CD/CD-R/RW/DVD/DVD-R/RW, USB MSS
    (except some non-standard FAT12 and 16 implementations). Automounts Windows
    shares and NFS shares. Awesome piece of software.

    4. Good support for Windows apps via Crossover Office and Plugin

    5. Debian-based and uses *.deb packages. Xandros Network Manager (GUI
    package handler) can also handle RPMs, too. By default, you only see *.debs
    on Xandros' package server. You CAN change this, but there are a couple of
    (minor) tricks you should perform in order to avoid messing up the very
    fine integration of packages Xandros have provided.

    6. Sees my USB-based digital camera and automounts it...and I just drag/drop
    the photos off it - no permissions issues or messing about. Just works.

    There's a lot more....but....time is short. SUMMARY:

    At the moment - 'cause each distro is better than the last - Xandros would
    be the King of the Heap for Linux desktops. If you want a SERVER...then
    use another distro. This one is for desktops.

    ONLY BAD THING: If you need to compile software, there is a wee bit of
    messing about required....but it is covered in the forums on Xandros.com.
    I'm guessing they have done this to prevent people who do not know what
    they are doing (and can't can't follow instructions) from being able to
    mess up their systems....and then waste the time of the Xandros support
    people. I installed the required bits, created the necessary symbolic links
    and was on my way....easy enough if you know what you're doing. Obviously,
    you want to avoid installing packages outside the package management
    system....or you risk creating incompatibilities between versions of
    different packages that the package manager would not be aware of....

    Steve

    steve, Feb 15, 2004

  3. Gooseman

    scuuby Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:33:08 +1300,
    Gooseman <> wrote:

    <snip>
    Just wondering if anyone is using this os...
    and if so what do you think of it ?
    <end snip>

    I would like an answer to this as well as I
    was considering it as a platform for moving
    over a small database programming project
    from vb/win9x

    scoobs

    =================================

    remove nospam4 from return email to reply
    =================================

    scuuby, Feb 15, 2004
  4. Gooseman

    steve Guest

    One more thing...Re: Xandros Desktop OS version 2 - Deluxe

    Gooseman wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > Just wondering if anyone is using this os...and if so what do you think of
    > it ? Does it play nice in a Win xp network ?
    > From what I've read it sounds great.
    >
    > Cheers

    Xandros 2.0 was good enough to replace the other distros on most of my
    systems. I still have:

    Redhat 7.3 on my firewall
    Fedora Core 1.0 on my print/file server
    Red Hat 9.0 on my web/fax server.

    But the 5 desktop systems are now all Xandros.....and I have *one* WinME
    system on the LAN becasue my wife uses Eudora 6.2 and I have not yet been
    able to get the Eudora address book to run on Linux. Eudora itself runs
    fine - but the Address Book crashes WINE of any flavour instantly.

    The WinME system sees all the shares it needs and can print fine to my Linux
    samba server (Brother HL1440 laser printer).

    steve, Feb 15, 2004
  5. Gooseman

    Howard Guest

    Re: One more thing...Re: Xandros Desktop OS version 2 - Deluxe

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:01:05 +1300, steve wrote:

    Steve, how do these "proprietary" distros work? Do you have[1] to pay for
    each desktop? Can you download/pay jsut once and then load up each PC from
    that copy?

    Howard, Feb 15, 2004
  6. Gooseman

    AD. Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:59:39 +1300, scuuby wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:33:08 +1300,
    > Gooseman <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    > Just wondering if anyone is using this os... and if so what do you think
    > of it ?
    > <end snip>
    >
    > I would like an answer to this as well as I was considering it as a
    > platform for moving over a small database programming project
    > from vb/win9x

    Have you decided what languages and databases you intend to use yet?

    Is it a client/server project? The client and the server could always be
    different platforms.

    If you used things like Python and MySQL, they will work on both Linux and
    Windows (and presumably Macs etc). You could actually complete the port on
    Windows, and then shift it to Linux later if you wanted - that would break
    a larger learning curve into 2 smaller more manageable chunks.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 15, 2004
  7. Gooseman

    pete Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:53:45 +1300, steve wrote:

    > Gooseman wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >> Just wondering if anyone is using this os...and if so what do you think of
    >> it ? Does it play nice in a Win xp network ?
    >> From what I've read it sounds great.

    > I use it.
    >
    > I was a long time red hat user - from 6.1 on up to 9.0.
    >
    > Most other distros I tried were either about as good, almost as good....or
    > not as good.....so there was little incentive to use others.
    >
    > Xandros 2.0 was preceded by v1.0 and Corel Linux 1.0...before Microsoft
    > forced Corel to divest Linux in return for a US$35M bail-out.
    >
    > Xandros 2.0 Deluxe has the following main advantages that make it GOOD.
    >
    > 1. Best device detection I've ever seen in any Linux distro - ever.
    >
    > 2. nVidia binary drivers installed by default. (Means: Ready for gaming)
    >
    > 3. Xandros File Manager - automounts CD/CD-R/RW/DVD/DVD-R/RW, USB MSS
    > (except some non-standard FAT12 and 16 implementations). Automounts Windows
    > shares and NFS shares. Awesome piece of software.
    >
    > 4. Good support for Windows apps via Crossover Office and Plugin
    >
    > 5. Debian-based and uses *.deb packages. Xandros Network Manager (GUI
    > package handler) can also handle RPMs, too. By default, you only see *.debs
    > on Xandros' package server. You CAN change this, but there are a couple of
    > (minor) tricks you should perform in order to avoid messing up the very
    > fine integration of packages Xandros have provided.
    >
    > 6. Sees my USB-based digital camera and automounts it...and I just drag/drop
    > the photos off it - no permissions issues or messing about. Just works.
    >
    > There's a lot more....but....time is short. SUMMARY:
    >
    > At the moment - 'cause each distro is better than the last - Xandros would
    > be the King of the Heap for Linux desktops. If you want a SERVER...then
    > use another distro. This one is for desktops.
    >
    > ONLY BAD THING: If you need to compile software, there is a wee bit of
    > messing about required....but it is covered in the forums on Xandros.com.
    > I'm guessing they have done this to prevent people who do not know what
    > they are doing (and can't can't follow instructions) from being able to
    > mess up their systems....and then waste the time of the Xandros support
    > people. I installed the required bits, created the necessary symbolic links
    > and was on my way....easy enough if you know what you're doing. Obviously,
    > you want to avoid installing packages outside the package management
    > system....or you risk creating incompatibilities between versions of
    > different packages that the package manager would not be aware of....
    >
    > Steve

    Did you ever try Lycoris? How would you compare them?

    Where did you purchase Xandros from?

    pete, Feb 15, 2004
  8. Gooseman

    Gooseman Guest

    Hi
    you can get it from Noel Leeming
    http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp...storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=35956

    Or download the iso from Xandros.com for 89 US = 129 NZD ( I think )
    Or the Linux shop
    http://www.linuxshop.co.nz/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=127

    Cheers
    Goose

    Gooseman, Feb 16, 2004
  9. Gooseman

    Gooseman Guest

    Thanks for that ...sounds just what I'm looking for, only thing that is
    holding me back is no try before you buy.Altho with the high NZ dollar if I
    download the iso it's not a great deal of cash...certainly cheaper than
    buying XP

    ---

    Gooseman, Feb 16, 2004
  10. Gooseman

    WARREN G Guest

    That sounds great, I wondered how good Xandros is.

    WARREN G, Feb 17, 2004
  11. Gooseman

    steve Guest

    Howard wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:01:05 +1300, steve wrote:
    >
    > Steve, how do these "proprietary" distros work? Do you have[1] to pay for
    > each desktop? Can you download/pay jsut once and then load up each PC from
    > that copy?

    It will vary by provider. SuSE have different rules, for example. The reason
    is that they include commercial software they have licensed.

    For home users, Xandros is: buy one copy and install on every PC in the
    house.

    For use in a place of business, you buy one for each PC.

    You can get Xandros with - or without - the Codeweavers windows support
    included. Without, it's very cheap: maybe NZ$60. With, it's NZ$125 (as in
    my other link).

    steve, Feb 17, 2004
  12. Gooseman

    scuuby Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:23:43 +1300, AD.
    <> wrote:

    <snip>
    > Have you decided what languages and
    > databases you intend to use yet?

    <end snip>
    no not made any decisions because i was
    hoping someone experienced in Linux would
    give me a few tips to help me choose a
    path more appropriate with my experience
    in win9x/vb/jet-dao3.51 with smattering
    of ado...

    <snip>
    > Is it a client/server project? The client and
    > the server could always be different platforms.

    <end snip>
    no its single user/single machine

    scoobs

    =================================

    scuuby, Feb 17, 2004
  13. Gooseman

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:34:42 +1300, scuuby wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:23:43 +1300, AD. <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >> Have you decided what languages and
    >> databases you intend to use yet?

    > <end snip>
    > no not made any decisions because i was hoping someone experienced in
    > Linux would give me a few tips to help me choose a path more appropriate
    > with my experience in win9x/vb/jet-dao3.51 with smattering of ado...

    I'd recommend going cross platform so that you can still run it on
    Windows. I reckon Python and MySQL would be the simplest. You could use
    wxPython for the GUI libraries. Using a DB independent library would be
    useful so you don't get locked into MySQL.

    Python is a great VB replacement IMO, it's really easy to read and debug,
    it's concise and productive. It has a really helpful newsgroup. It also
    has a variety of 3rd party IDEs available (open source).

    If you want a bit more forms and reports type infrastructure, have a look
    at Rekall:

    http://www.thekompany.com/products/rekall/

    I've never used it, but it seems like Access done right. ie just the
    front end stuff, DB independant, cross platform and the scripting uses
    Python. Having not used it, I'm not sure how 'mature' or feature complete
    it is though. You'd have to try it out yourself.

    I also reckon you should stick to cross platform technologies - there
    really is no 'Linux specific' development platform anyway. Stuff that
    works on Linux will usually also work on the BSDs, Mac OS X, and also on
    proprietary Unix as well. But if you want to make a career out of it,
    ignoring ways of also working on Windows would be silly.

    The other advantage with cross platform stuff is that you don't have to be
    thrown in the deep end with learning a new OS and a new dev platform at
    the same time. It makes the transition easier and smoother, you could dual
    boot both while you get used to Linux.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 17, 2004
  14. Gooseman

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:23:43 +1300, AD.
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    > > Have you decided what languages and
    > > databases you intend to use yet?

    > <end snip>
    > no not made any decisions because i was
    > hoping someone experienced in Linux would
    > give me a few tips to help me choose a
    > path more appropriate with my experience
    > in win9x/vb/jet-dao3.51 with smattering
    > of ado...
    >
    > <snip>
    > > Is it a client/server project? The client and
    > > the server could always be different platforms.

    > <end snip>
    > no its single user/single machine

    delphi supports cross platform with the Qt libraries

    Mainlander, Feb 18, 2004