Xandros Desktop 2 report

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by AUWG, Jan 10, 2004.

  1. AUWG

    AUWG Guest

    Xandros Desktop 2 post-installation sitrep:

    I had a 15Gig drive available, so I dropped that into the box with a
    128MB ram stick. Then I put in the Xandros CD. It didn't want to do the
    dual-boot thing for some reason, so I let it use the whole drive. Had to
    swap out the modem for a non-winmodem from another computer, but no
    problems otherwise.

    Once Xandros was installed, I looked it over for maybe half an hour.
    Xandros looks and acts enough like Windows that I won't have to spend
    much time figuring things out. One of my questions was answered by the
    help file and the other was answered by the manual.

    I played a CD, played some MP3's, got on the net and left a note at the
    Xandros Yahoo group, did some email, pulled one of my books-in-progress
    off a floppy disk and created a new folder for my stuff on the hard
    drive, edited a couple of new chapters, and saved the results.

    In short, Xandros works as advertised, and I won't have to make a whole
    'nother career out of using Linux.
    Ed Howdershelt - Abintra Press
    Science Fiction and Semi-Fiction
    http://abintrapress.tripod.com
    http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t=author&ai=10823&id=95920

    AUWG, Jan 10, 2004

  2. AUWG

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:59:07 +0000, AUWG wrote:

    > In short, Xandros works as advertised, and I won't have to make a whole
    > 'nother career out of using Linux.

    Good comment...

    Lennier

    --
    The Future is Open

    Lennier, Jan 11, 2004

  3. AUWG

    AUWG Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:59:07 +0000, AUWG wrote:
    > > In short, Xandros works as advertised, and I won't have to make a whole
    > > 'nother career out of using Linux.

    > Good comment...
    > Lennier

    Tells it like it was. :)
    I wanted to switch to Linux painlessly, with no more hassle than I'd
    have had with a fresh install of Win98 or similar.
    Xandros did it.

    My only gripe is that I'm having to use the word processor to work on my
    ..RTF files. I may start using the notepad for writing and jacking
    everything into the wordprocessor only when I'm ready to convert the
    files to .RTF for placement at Fictionwise.

    OR... maybe there's some little Wordpad-like program that will install
    without a bunch of tinkering. I'll look around some as time permits.
    I've come to hate tinkering with setups; it steals time I could be using
    in other ways.

    AUWG, Jan 11, 2004
  4. AUWG

    GraB Guest

    From where and what cost was the Xandros 2 CD? I have decided that
    when I get a new drive I will install this version.

    GraB, Jan 12, 2004
  5. AUWG

    steve Guest

    AUWG allegedly said:

    > I played a CD, played some MP3's, got on the net and left a note at the
    > Xandros Yahoo group, did some email, pulled one of my books-in-progress
    > off a floppy disk and created a new folder for my stuff on the hard
    > drive, edited a couple of new chapters, and saved the results.
    >
    > In short, Xandros works as advertised, and I won't have to make a whole
    > 'nother career out of using Linux.
    > Ed Howdershelt - Abintra Press
    > Science Fiction and Semi-Fiction
    > http://abintrapress.tripod.com
    > http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t=author&ai=10823&id=95920

    I'm so impresed with Xandros 2.0 I've moved most of my "user" PCs to it.
    These are the ones my kids use and that I use for everyday "desktop" stuff.

    My 10 year old daughter loves the games:

    Tux Racer, Tux Kart and Frozen Bubbles - in particular.

    steve, Jan 12, 2004
  6. AUWG

    steve Guest

    GraB allegedly said:

    > From where and what cost was the Xandros 2 CD? I have decided that
    > when I get a new drive I will install this version.

    www.linuxshop.co.nz - NZ$179.95 for Xandros 2 DELUXE
    (DELUXE - includes Crossover Office and Crossover Plugin - for Windows
    apps).

    Or...You can buy Xandros 2.0 Standard - US$39.95 - from www.xandros.com

    It's worth buying the deluxe version if you want to run things like MS
    Office (97, 200 or XP) or Adobe Photoshop or Quicktime 6.3 Plugin....and
    many others....on Linux.

    For homes users, you can legally put one copy on every machine in the house.
    My one copy is on at least 5 systems. That's about $30 each so far...and
    each additional PC makes it cheaper per box. :)

    Business users are expected to buy a copy per machine.

    Xandros is the descendent of the former Corel Linux - and the current
    version is based ont the Debian distro's "Sarge" version (a.k.a 'testing').

    steve, Jan 12, 2004
  7. AUWG

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:16:54 +1300, steve wrote:

    > www.linuxshop.co.nz - NZ$179.95 for Xandros 2 DELUXE
    > (DELUXE - includes Crossover Office and Crossover Plugin - for Windows
    > apps).

    Is the Deluxe version necessary if you have WINE and Open Office 1.1
    installed?

    Lennier

    --
    Linux - The Future is Open.

    Lennier, Jan 12, 2004
  8. AUWG

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:30:08 +1300, Lennier wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:16:54 +1300, steve wrote:
    >
    >> www.linuxshop.co.nz - NZ$179.95 for Xandros 2 DELUXE (DELUXE - includes
    >> Crossover Office and Crossover Plugin - for Windows apps).

    > Is the Deluxe version necessary if you have WINE and Open Office 1.1
    > installed?

    That would probably depend on whether WINE and OO do everything you want
    them to :)

    I have heard good things about the Crossover stuff though.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jan 12, 2004
  9. AUWG

    Max Burke Guest

    > GraB scribbled:

    > From where and what cost was the Xandros 2 CD? I have decided that
    > when I get a new drive I will install this version.

    BigByte have the deluxe version at $149.00....

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
    See Found Images at:

    Max Burke, Jan 12, 2004
  10. AUWG

    steve Guest

    Lennier allegedly said:

    > On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:16:54 +1300, steve wrote:
    >
    >> www.linuxshop.co.nz - NZ$179.95 for Xandros 2 DELUXE
    >> (DELUXE - includes Crossover Office and Crossover Plugin - for Windows
    >> apps).

    > Is the Deluxe version necessary if you have WINE and Open Office 1.1
    > installed?

    No...provided your WINE runs all the programs you want it to.

    The only real advantage to the Codeweavers stuff is that MS Office runs
    better on it than it does on Windows... :)

    If you can run wat you like already, then Xandros 2.0 deluxe offers little
    more than the standard version.

    steve, Jan 12, 2004
  11. AUWG

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:51:11 +1300, "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz>
    wrote:

    >> GraB scribbled:

    >> From where and what cost was the Xandros 2 CD? I have decided that
    >> when I get a new drive I will install this version.

    >BigByte have the deluxe version at $149.00....

    When I inquired at Big Byte they only had version 1.1. But that
    sounds like a good price if it is version 2.

    GraB, Jan 12, 2004
  12. AUWG

    Max Burke Guest

    > GraB scribbled:

    >> Max Burke wrote:

    >>> GraB scribbled:
    >>> From where and what cost was the Xandros 2 CD? I have decided that
    >>> when I get a new drive I will install this version.

    >> BigByte have the deluxe version at $149.00....

    > When I inquired at Big Byte they only had version 1.1.

    Didn't check the version, just the name as I had never heard of it before.
    I almost bought it myself, but decided I had better do some 'research' on it
    first; After all I dont want to waste my money on a usless OS.... ;-)

    > But that
    > sounds like a good price if it is version 2.

    They had quite a few boxes there alongside Windows XP.....

    Max Burke, Jan 13, 2004
  13. AUWG

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:34:38 +1300, steve wrote:

    >> Is the Deluxe version necessary if you have WINE and Open Office 1.1
    >> installed?

    > No...provided your WINE runs all the programs you want it to.
    >
    > The only real advantage to the Codeweavers stuff is that MS Office runs
    > better on it than it does on Windows... :)
    >
    > If you can run wat you like already, then Xandros 2.0 deluxe offers little
    > more than the standard version.

    Cool.

    I think I might wait until the standard version becomes downloadable from
    their website.

    Lennier

    --
    Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
    really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our

    Lennier, Jan 13, 2004
  14. Hi there,

    Max Burke wrote:
    >>GraB scribbled:

    >>>BigByte have the deluxe version at $149.00....

    >>When I inquired at Big Byte they only had version 1.1.

    > Didn't check the version, just the name as I had never heard of it before.
    > I almost bought it myself, but decided I had better do some 'research' on it
    > first; After all I dont want to waste my money on a usless OS.... ;-)

    Its the most Windows-alike *nix you can buy (or at least the default
    config is!). I'd still need to think twice before I decided to buy it
    or not, since other (cheaper) distros can be Window-ised too...

    I setup a WinXP alike login for a mate who stayed a couple of weeks to
    renovate a flat I was in...it didn't fool him, but he had no trouble
    getting email using Evolution. He even commented it was so close to
    being like his WinXP setup that someone should distribute a Mandrake
    distro setup like XP...I quickly replied that M$ would not see the
    humorous side of it, and would drag your arse into court! Linux users
    attending installfests and the like are discouraged from displaying
    desktops adorned with MS screen widgets, because it has been known
    for 'MS Police' to attend such meetings looking for copyright law
    infringement...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 14, 2004