    for the odd game or two.
    Gentoo although quick, Im just not ready for such a needy/"thought
    intensive" OS. I hope you guys know what I mean.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 15, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    tatties Guest

    > Whoa, 20 mins to install(I chose the custom install), and thats it.
    > All Hardware detected, Nvidia 3D drivers working, Conexant HCF modem
    > detected and working. NTFS partitions mounted as /disks/c etc.
    > CDRW working, DVDRW I havent checked yet, but it reads DVDs at least.
    >
    > I'm F'ing amazed.
    > I think I have found my new OS*.
    >
    > Only thing I thought was a bit odd is that Mozilla wasn't installed, and
    > neither was an email client... maybe I missed something, but after
    > re-installing(hell, it only takes 10 mins) I couldn't see it there.

    If you are using the bittorrent version its only got opera, but if you go to
    the xandros networks app and select debian unsupported repositories and
    update you will get the option of installing other useful stuff like
    mozilla-firefox or pan maybe, and if you add the nz debian mirror testing
    sources in you can install from the testing/sarge release with care and
    risks, see the xandros forums for apt.conf hints and tips.

    tatties, Nov 15, 2004

  3. tatties wrote:
    >>Only thing I thought was a bit odd is that Mozilla wasn't installed, and
    >>neither was an email client... maybe I missed something, but after
    >>re-installing(hell, it only takes 10 mins) I couldn't see it there.

    > If you are using the bittorrent version its only got opera

    ahhh, that'll be it then.

    > , but if you go to
    > the xandros networks app and select debian unsupported repositories and
    > update you will get the option of installing other useful stuff like
    > mozilla-firefox or pan maybe, and if you add the nz debian mirror testing
    > sources in you can install from the testing/sarge release with care and
    > risks, see the xandros forums for apt.conf hints and tips.

    Will do.
    I havent changed anything yet but Mozilla is listed in the Xandros
    Network thing, so maybe they've bowed to pressure? either way, it's
    downloading now, and should be there when I get home.

    Back to dialup for the moment, I fried my wifi card with a little
    experiment... they dont like signal output beyond their specs :/

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 15, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    tatties Guest

    > tatties wrote:
    >>>Only thing I thought was a bit odd is that Mozilla wasn't installed, and
    >>>neither was an email client... maybe I missed something, but after
    >>>re-installing(hell, it only takes 10 mins) I couldn't see it there.

    >> If you are using the bittorrent version its only got opera

    > ahhh, that'll be it then.
    >
    >> , but if you go to the xandros networks app and select debian unsupported
    >> repositories and update you will get the option of installing other
    >> useful stuff like mozilla-firefox or pan maybe, and if you add the nz
    >> debian mirror testing sources in you can install from the testing/sarge
    >> release with care and risks, see the xandros forums for apt.conf hints
    >> and tips.

    > Will do.
    > I havent changed anything yet but Mozilla is listed in the Xandros Network
    > thing, so maybe they've bowed to pressure? either way, it's downloading
    > now, and should be there when I get home.

    The free torrent version was a co promotion with opera, but the standard
    version has mozilla.
    The file manager is Konq so you can type urls in there too.

    > Back to dialup for the moment, I fried my wifi card with a little
    > experiment... they dont like signal output beyond their specs :/

    Yeah they say you can do that with the 3rd party ap firmwares too
    live fast die young :)

    tatties, Nov 15, 2004
  5. tatties wrote:
    > The free torrent version was a co promotion with opera, but the standard
    > version has mozilla.
    > The file manager is Konq so you can type urls in there too.

    yep, Im familiar enough with KDE to get that one figured out, hence I
    was able to read everything I usually do at nights last night.

    amazingly it seems faster to browse than windows on dialup. who knows.

    >>Back to dialup for the moment, I fried my wifi card with a little
    >>experiment... they dont like signal output beyond their specs :/

    > Yeah they say you can do that with the 3rd party ap firmwares too
    > live fast die young :)

    leave a good looking corpse isnt it?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 15, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Whoa, 20 mins to install(I chose the custom install), and thats it.
    > All Hardware detected, Nvidia 3D drivers working, Conexant HCF modem
    > detected and working. NTFS partitions mounted as /disks/c etc.
    > CDRW working, DVDRW I havent checked yet, but it reads DVDs at least.

    You'll have to add the libdvdcss *.deb or *.rpm files to be able to read
    commercial DVDs....but that's no hassle.....just download the file and then
    install it using Xandros Networks (on menu bar: FILE -> Install DEB file) s

    > I'm F'ing amazed.

    So was I when I installed Xandros 2.0 in late 2003. It was and reamins the
    best desktop distro I've seen to date......and I've tried 17 popular
    distros over the past year.

    Knoppix installed to the hard drive and Yoper 2.0 would be close seconds.

    > I think I have found my new OS*.
    >
    > Only thing I thought was a bit odd is that Mozilla wasn't installed, and
    > neither was an email client... maybe I missed something, but after
    > re-installing(hell, it only takes 10 mins) I couldn't see it there.

    Konqueror might be the default (I can't remember). Which version of Xandros
    did you install? I'm sure mine installed Mozilla. But I downloaded and use
    Firefox anyway.

    > *XP is still installed, but as soon as I get some more Hdd I can move my
    > data off to somewhere else, and give it the boot, well, maybe keep it
    > for the odd game or two.
    > Gentoo although quick, Im just not ready for such a needy/"thought
    > intensive" OS. I hope you guys know what I mean.

    I do. I've like Gentoo....but it isn't a distro you install when in a hurry
    - even if you do use the canned binaries for everything and don't compile
    anything.

    Like you said, Xandros is up and running in 15-20 minutes. The last WinXP
    install I did (3 months ago on an Athlon XP 2200+) took twice as long as
    that.....and several re-boots.

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home

    steve, Nov 16, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    tatties wrote:

    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> Whoa, 20 mins to install(I chose the custom install), and thats it.
    >> All Hardware detected, Nvidia 3D drivers working, Conexant HCF modem
    >> detected and working. NTFS partitions mounted as /disks/c etc.
    >> CDRW working, DVDRW I havent checked yet, but it reads DVDs at least.
    >>
    >> I'm F'ing amazed.
    >> I think I have found my new OS*.
    >>
    >> Only thing I thought was a bit odd is that Mozilla wasn't installed, and
    >> neither was an email client... maybe I missed something, but after
    >> re-installing(hell, it only takes 10 mins) I couldn't see it there.
    >>

    > If you are using the bittorrent version its only got opera, but if you go
    > to the xandros networks app and select debian unsupported repositories and
    > update you will get the option of installing other useful stuff like
    > mozilla-firefox or pan maybe, and if you add the nz debian mirror testing
    > sources in you can install from the testing/sarge release with care and
    > risks, see the xandros forums for apt.conf hints and tips.

    Yes.....If you don't want to break Xandros, you do have to careful about
    what packages superceded any Xandros-specific packages. Easily done by
    setting up a 'preferences' file in /etc/apt with some 'pin' values in it to
    ensure that Xandros packages aren't overridden.

    steve, Nov 16, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > tatties wrote:
    >>>Only thing I thought was a bit odd is that Mozilla wasn't installed, and
    >>>neither was an email client... maybe I missed something, but after
    >>>re-installing(hell, it only takes 10 mins) I couldn't see it there.

    >> If you are using the bittorrent version its only got opera

    > ahhh, that'll be it then.
    >
    >> , but if you go to
    >> the xandros networks app and select debian unsupported repositories and
    >> update you will get the option of installing other useful stuff like
    >> mozilla-firefox or pan maybe, and if you add the nz debian mirror testing
    >> sources in you can install from the testing/sarge release with care and
    >> risks, see the xandros forums for apt.conf hints and tips.

    > Will do.
    > I havent changed anything yet but Mozilla is listed in the Xandros
    > Network thing, so maybe they've bowed to pressure? either way, it's
    > downloading now, and should be there when I get home.

    Mozilla is standard in Xandros....except the bittorent version. But you have
    always been able to then download Mozilla and install it. I think Xandros
    are just trying to support Opera - who try to make a living out of their
    browser.

    > Back to dialup for the moment, I fried my wifi card with a little
    > experiment... they dont like signal output beyond their specs :/

    If you need to compile any drivers, Xandros does not have the kernel source
    or headers installed by default. You have to download and install
    them....and manually create a couple of symlinks to make it works. They
    have done this deliberately so that people who do not know what they are
    doing will not be able to download a tarball and just compile any damn
    thing and mess up Xandros's carefully crafted set of unique features.

    Have you found the NFS mount / share function in the File Manager yet? Who
    needs Windows shares any more? :)

    steve, Nov 16, 2004
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Rider Guest

    > Whoa, 20 mins to install(I chose the custom install), and thats it.
    > All Hardware detected, Nvidia 3D drivers working, Conexant HCF modem
    > detected and working. NTFS partitions mounted as /disks/c etc.
    > CDRW working, DVDRW I havent checked yet, but it reads DVDs at least.
    >
    > I'm F'ing amazed.
    > I think I have found my new OS*.
    >
    > Only thing I thought was a bit odd is that Mozilla wasn't installed, and
    > neither was an email client... maybe I missed something, but after
    > re-installing(hell, it only takes 10 mins) I couldn't see it there.
    >

    > *XP is still installed, but as soon as I get some more Hdd I can move my
    > data off to somewhere else, and give it the boot, well, maybe keep it for
    > the odd game or two.
    > Gentoo although quick, Im just not ready for such a needy/"thought
    > intensive" OS. I hope you guys know what I mean.

    Is Xandros available off jetstreamgames servers? I dont wanna max my data
    usage in one hit LoL

    Rider

    Rider, Nov 17, 2004
  10. Rider wrote:
    > Is Xandros available off jetstreamgames servers? I dont wanna max my data
    > usage in one hit LoL

    nope, but it is only a 600MB download...
    email me and I'll give you the link to grab it
    off my site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 17, 2004