Xandros 4: Relief for Windows 98/ME Orphans

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, Jul 23, 2006.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Jul 23, 2006

  2. Au79

    Paul Guest

    "Au79" <> wrote in message
    news:mKPwg.841$...
    > By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
    >
    > Review: Xandros 4 is easily the best Linux distribution for Windows users
    > who are either be forced, or looking, to switch to a new operating system.
    > (DesktopLinux)
    >
    > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1987877,00.asp?kc=ewnws071206dtx1k0000599

    System Requirements

    Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 (I can't find Xandros 4 on the Xandros
    website):

    Recommended

    Pentium II 450MHz or AMD K6/II 450MHz
    256 MB
    3 GB of available space

    Hmmm, those are about the spec's needed to run Windows 2000...
    Paul, Jul 23, 2006

  3. Au79

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > "Au79" <> wrote in message
    >> By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
    >>
    >> Review: Xandros 4 is easily the best Linux distribution for Windows
    >> users who are either be forced, or looking, to switch to a new
    >> operating system. (DesktopLinux)
    >>
    >> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1987877,00.asp?kc=ewnws071206dtx1k0000599
    >>

    > System Requirements
    >
    > Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 (I can't find Xandros 4 on the Xandros
    > website):
    >
    > Recommended
    >
    > Pentium II 450MHz or AMD K6/II 450MHz
    > 256 MB
    > 3 GB of available space
    >
    > Hmmm, those are about the spec's needed to run Windows 2000...

    Yeah - I've felt that the claims of lower resource requirements for Linux
    GUIs are overstated. Sure, the kernel runs great in systems with lower
    specs, but the GUI needs more horsepower, especially the RAM.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006