Xandros 4.0 is good

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Jul 6, 2006.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    I downloaded and installed Xandros 4.0 Home Edition (Premium).

    It's good.....Lots of reasons why.

    - "Music manager" for Mp3 player / ipod support.
    - "Photo Manager" for use with digital cameras and for storing /
    organising your photos.

    - enhanced wireless support. (My rt2400-based wifi card is now supported
    out of 'the box')

    - anti-virus (for those files your windows-using firneds send you)
    included......and useful for scanning files if you run MS Office on
    Xandros Linux ('cause you can).

    - generally even more polished install and look and feel (which were
    already pretty good anyway).

    The version I got includes 'Vesora' which - from what I can tell -
    allows yo to migrate your Windows XP desktop to a Xandros desktop.

    Loads of other good stuff......and the install was flawless and it only
    took about 15 minutes from a single CD.

    steve, Jul 6, 2006

  2. steve

    Collector_NZ Guest

    steve wrote:
    > I downloaded and installed Xandros 4.0 Home Edition (Premium).
    >
    > It's good.....Lots of reasons why.
    >
    > - "Music manager" for Mp3 player / ipod support.
    > - "Photo Manager" for use with digital cameras and for storing /
    > organising your photos.
    >
    > - enhanced wireless support. (My rt2400-based wifi card is now supported
    > out of 'the box')
    >
    > - anti-virus (for those files your windows-using firneds send you)
    > included......and useful for scanning files if you run MS Office on
    > Xandros Linux ('cause you can).
    >
    > - generally even more polished install and look and feel (which were
    > already pretty good anyway).
    >
    > The version I got includes 'Vesora' which - from what I can tell -
    > allows yo to migrate your Windows XP desktop to a Xandros desktop.
    >
    > Loads of other good stuff......and the install was flawless and it only
    > took about 15 minutes from a single CD.

    Link to iso ???

    Collector_NZ, Jul 6, 2006

  3. steve

    Ray Greene Guest

    Does it let you log onto a Windows domain yet, or is that just the business
    version?
    Any improvements to the file manager?

    I'm thinking of upgrading from 3.0 but I'm not really interested in the bells
    and whistles, just the basic stuff.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Jul 6, 2006
  4. steve

    Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    > > I downloaded and installed Xandros 4.0 Home Edition (Premium).
    > >
    > > It's good.....Lots of reasons why.
    > >
    > > - "Music manager" for Mp3 player / ipod support.
    > > - "Photo Manager" for use with digital cameras and for storing /
    > > organising your photos.
    > >
    > > - enhanced wireless support. (My rt2400-based wifi card is now supported
    > > out of 'the box')
    > >
    > > - anti-virus (for those files your windows-using firneds send you)
    > > included......and useful for scanning files if you run MS Office on
    > > Xandros Linux ('cause you can).
    > >
    > > - generally even more polished install and look and feel (which were
    > > already pretty good anyway).
    > >
    > > The version I got includes 'Vesora' which - from what I can tell -
    > > allows yo to migrate your Windows XP desktop to a Xandros desktop.
    > >
    > > Loads of other good stuff......and the install was flawless and it only
    > > took about 15 minutes from a single CD.
    > >

    > Link to iso ???

    This is exactly why Xandros put product activation in Xandros4 as a
    condition of using Xandros Networks. Is it really fair to people who
    buy the commercial versions of Xandros, while users of illegal copies
    and users of the free OCE version were allowed to use Xandros' official
    servers for Xandros Networks for free?

    Keep in mind...the product activation does not prevent Xandros from
    working...it is just required to use Xandros' official servers on
    Xandros Networks.

    , Jul 7, 2006
  5. steve

    shannon Guest

    wrote:

    > This is exactly why Xandros put product activation in Xandros4 as a
    > condition of using Xandros Networks. Is it really fair to people who
    > buy the commercial versions of Xandros, while users of illegal copies
    > and users of the free OCE version were allowed to use Xandros' official
    > servers for Xandros Networks for free?

    Thats why Ubuntu and Debian are better

    None of that Microsoft-like product activation bullshit, just the same
    free software from the debian archive without a subscription license
    being charged for the contribution of some basic applets.

    shannon, Jul 7, 2006
  6. steve

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 19:06:47 -0700, DarthChaosofRSPW wrote:

    > This is exactly why Xandros put product activation in Xandros4 as a
    > condition of using Xandros Networks. Is it really fair to people who
    > buy the commercial versions of Xandros, while users of illegal copies
    > and users of the free OCE version were allowed to use Xandros' official
    > servers for Xandros Networks for free?

    Careful with word illegal there old chap.

    Gordon, Jul 7, 2006
  7. Hi there,

    steve wrote:
    > I downloaded and installed Xandros 4.0 Home Edition (Premium).
    >
    > It's good.....Lots of reasons why.
    >
    > - "Music manager" for Mp3 player / ipod support.
    > - "Photo Manager" for use with digital cameras and for storing /
    > organising your photos.
    >
    > - enhanced wireless support. (My rt2400-based wifi card is now supported
    > out of 'the box')
    >
    > - anti-virus (for those files your windows-using firneds send you)
    > included......and useful for scanning files if you run MS Office on
    > Xandros Linux ('cause you can).
    >
    > - generally even more polished install and look and feel (which were
    > already pretty good anyway).
    >
    > The version I got includes 'Vesora' which - from what I can tell -
    > allows yo to migrate your Windows XP desktop to a Xandros desktop.
    >
    > Loads of other good stuff......and the install was flawless and it only
    > took about 15 minutes from a single CD.

    What can you tell me about its networking configurability?

    I'm getting a little annoyed at SuSE 10.1, which routinely seems
    to take pleasure in wrecking resolv.conf and the route table. It
    has a swathe of networking scripts which I suspect are all working
    together nicely to slaughter my network setup on each consecutive
    bootup. I'd love to dismantle those network scripts, and pare them
    down to the bare minimum required to boot my network (probably be
    around 10 lines of text, if that!), but I've yet to figure out the
    precise process SuSE goes thru to establish network service (it is
    massively overcomplex by look of it, grrrr!)...

    :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 8, 2006
  8. steve

    steve Guest

    wrote:

    > Keep in mind...the product activation does not prevent Xandros from
    > working...it is just required to use Xandros' official servers on
    > Xandros Networks.

    Apparently it only affects the GUI.

    You can still apt-get from the command prompt to the same servers without
    activation (so I'm told).

    Some folks are using apt-get and a different GUI (Synaptic?)

    steve, Jul 10, 2006
  9. steve

    steve Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > wrote:
    >

    >> This is exactly why Xandros put product activation in Xandros4 as a
    >> condition of using Xandros Networks. Is it really fair to people who
    >> buy the commercial versions of Xandros, while users of illegal copies
    >> and users of the free OCE version were allowed to use Xandros' official
    >> servers for Xandros Networks for free?
    >>

    > Thats why Ubuntu and Debian are better
    >
    > None of that Microsoft-like product activation bullshit, just the same
    > free software from the debian archive without a subscription license
    > being charged for the contribution of some basic applets.

    Well.....You're assuming that the extra good stuff Xandros includes is of no
    value.

    In my experience, that isn't the case. Yes, I pay money for Xandros.....but
    they save me hours of fiddling and make things easy by integrating a lot of
    the software.

    The Xandros File Manager - with SMB and NFS sharing, CD/DVD reading/writing,
    various removeable media, and much else, all integrated is worth paying for
    all by itself.

    steve, Jul 10, 2006
  10. steve

    Guest

    steve wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Keep in mind...the product activation does not prevent Xandros from
    > > working...it is just required to use Xandros' official servers on
    > > Xandros Networks.

    > Apparently it only affects the GUI.
    >
    > You can still apt-get from the command prompt to the same servers without
    > activation (so I'm told).
    >
    > Some folks are using apt-get and a different GUI (Synaptic?)

    I think in order to download software from Xandros' official
    repositories, you have to use Xandros Networks...apparently XN send
    some kind of authorization string to those repository servers to
    authorize downloading from there. Of course you can enable Debian
    repositories to install Synaptic.

    , Jul 10, 2006
  11. In article <44afacf5$>,
    Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:

    >I'm getting a little annoyed at SuSE 10.1, which routinely seems
    >to take pleasure in wrecking resolv.conf and the route table. It
    >has a swathe of networking scripts which I suspect are all working
    >together nicely to slaughter my network setup on each consecutive
    >bootup. I'd love to dismantle those network scripts, and pare them
    >down to the bare minimum required to boot my network (probably be
    >around 10 lines of text, if that!), but I've yet to figure out the
    >precise process SuSE goes thru to establish network service (it is
    >massively overcomplex by look of it, grrrr!)...

    I'm using 10.0 (haven't upgraded to 10.1). Are you running DHCP? Under
    10.0, there are variables defined in /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcpd which
    control whether it sets your hostname, your resolv.conf, your default
    route and so on.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 10, 2006
  12. Hi there,

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <44afacf5$>,
    > Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm getting a little annoyed at SuSE 10.1, which routinely seems
    >>to take pleasure in wrecking resolv.conf and the route table. It
    >>has a swathe of networking scripts which I suspect are all working
    >>together nicely to slaughter my network setup on each consecutive
    >>bootup. I'd love to dismantle those network scripts, and pare them
    >>down to the bare minimum required to boot my network (probably be
    >>around 10 lines of text, if that!), but I've yet to figure out the
    >>precise process SuSE goes thru to establish network service (it is
    >>massively overcomplex by look of it, grrrr!)...

    > I'm using 10.0 (haven't upgraded to 10.1). Are you running DHCP? Under
    > 10.0, there are variables defined in /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcpd which
    > control whether it sets your hostname, your resolv.conf, your default
    > route and so on.

    I use DHCP to connect via eth0 to my ADSL 2+ router, but have static
    IP on eth1 to connect to my other box. I've setup routing to allow
    port forwarding and IP masqeurade so that the other box can get thru
    to the internet, but I cannot restore the route anymore (I'm not sure
    whats stopping that)...

    Here the route table on SuSE...

    Kernel IP routing table
    192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth2
    192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
    0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

    ....and the table on Kubuntu...

    Kernel IP routing table
    192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

    It all looks pretty standard to me, so I'm stumped...

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 10, 2006
  13. steve

    steve Guest

    wrote:

    > I think in order to download software from Xandros' official
    > repositories, you have to use Xandros Networks...apparently XN send
    > some kind of authorization string to those repository servers to
    > authorize downloading from there. Of course you can enable Debian
    > repositories to install Synaptic.

    I've used apt-get often to download from the Xandros package servers....

    It works fine.

    I'll try it before activating the next install - to see if it works.

    steve, Jul 10, 2006
  14. steve

    steve Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > steve wrote:
    >> I downloaded and installed Xandros 4.0 Home Edition (Premium).
    >>
    >> It's good.....Lots of reasons why.
    >>
    >> - "Music manager" for Mp3 player / ipod support.
    >> - "Photo Manager" for use with digital cameras and for storing /
    >> organising your photos.
    >>
    >> - enhanced wireless support. (My rt2400-based wifi card is now supported
    >> out of 'the box')
    >>
    >> - anti-virus (for those files your windows-using firneds send you)
    >> included......and useful for scanning files if you run MS Office on
    >> Xandros Linux ('cause you can).
    >>
    >> - generally even more polished install and look and feel (which were
    >> already pretty good anyway).
    >>
    >> The version I got includes 'Vesora' which - from what I can tell -
    >> allows yo to migrate your Windows XP desktop to a Xandros desktop.
    >>
    >> Loads of other good stuff......and the install was flawless and it only
    >> took about 15 minutes from a single CD.

    > What can you tell me about its networking configurability?

    It's easy to do. Wireless is supported in the GUI and is straightforward.

    > I'm getting a little annoyed at SuSE 10.1, which routinely seems
    > to take pleasure in wrecking resolv.conf and the route table. It
    > has a swathe of networking scripts which I suspect are all working
    > together nicely to slaughter my network setup on each consecutive
    > bootup. I'd love to dismantle those network scripts, and pare them
    > down to the bare minimum required to boot my network (probably be
    > around 10 lines of text, if that!), but I've yet to figure out the
    > precise process SuSE goes thru to establish network service (it is
    > massively overcomplex by look of it, grrrr!)...

    No such issues with Xandros 3.0 or 4.0.

    Wireless support is definitely better in 4.0 than in 3.0 as 4.0 uses a

    $ uname -a
    Linux <host name deleted> 2.6.15-dcc-uni #1 PREEMPT Tue Jun 6 16:27:42 EDT
    2006 i686 GNU/Linux

    steve, Jul 10, 2006
  15. In article <44b2219d$>,
    Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:

    >I use DHCP to connect via eth0 to my ADSL 2+ router, but have static
    >IP on eth1 to connect to my other box. I've setup routing to allow
    >port forwarding and IP masqeurade so that the other box can get thru
    >to the internet, but I cannot restore the route anymore (I'm not sure
    >whats stopping that)...
    >
    >Here the route table on SuSE...
    >
    >Kernel IP routing table
    >Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    >192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth2

    Is this really eth2 or eth1? Not that it really matters, I guess...

    >192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    >169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    >127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
    >0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
    >
    >...and the table on Kubuntu...
    >
    >Kernel IP routing table
    >Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    >192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    >0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

    Looking only at the eth0 configuration, and ignoring the 169.254.0.0
    link-local route, the relevant SuSE settings boil down to:

    192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

    So the problem is that SuSE is picking up the eth0 network (192.168.1.x)
    and putting it on eth1 (or is that eth2?) (which is supposed to be
    192.168.0.x)? Is the network on Kubuntu configured statically?

    Under SuSE, pretty much the entire network configuration settings will
    be found in /etc/sysconfig/network. Feel free to post a listing of this
    directory, and if necessary we can start going through the contents of
    those files.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 11, 2006
  16. steve

    Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 19:06:47 -0700, DarthChaosofRSPW wrote:
    >
    > > This is exactly why Xandros put product activation in Xandros4 as a
    > > condition of using Xandros Networks. Is it really fair to people who
    > > buy the commercial versions of Xandros, while users of illegal copies
    > > and users of the free OCE version were allowed to use Xandros' official
    > > servers for Xandros Networks for free?

    > Careful with word illegal there old chap.

    I didn't realize this was a politically-correct forum. :)

    , Jul 12, 2006
  17. In article <>, wrote:

    >Gordon wrote:
    >> On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 19:06:47 -0700, DarthChaosofRSPW wrote:
    >>
    >> > This is exactly why Xandros put product activation in Xandros4 as a
    >> > condition of using Xandros Networks. Is it really fair to people who
    >> > buy the commercial versions of Xandros, while users of illegal copies
    >> > and users of the free OCE version were allowed to use Xandros' official
    >> > servers for Xandros Networks for free?

    >> Careful with word illegal there old chap.

    >I didn't realize this was a politically-correct forum. :)

    It's not ... but we do try to be correct ... at least some of us. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 12, 2006