Xandros 3.0 Linux: so far so good.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Dec 12, 2004.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    I have just installed the latest version of Xandros Linux: V3.0

    The biggest item on my happy-chappy list is that is automatically recognised
    my Epson 1670 USB scanner....and it works perfectly with the "Kooka"
    scanner and OCR software included with the KDE desktop (3.3.0)in Xandros.

    The previous version, Xandros 2.0, saw the scanner via USB....but had no
    idea what to do to make it work....and I just didn't have time to fiddle
    with all the config details required in the HOWTO for that scanner make /
    model.

    Now if I can get the cheapo DSE wireless PCI card working with the 2.6.9
    kernel included in Xandros 3.0.....I'll be happy.

    I've had earlier versions of the driver working with Xandros 2.0 and kernel
    2.4.24-x1, but the driver wasn't stable.......and the people who have been
    fixing the GPL'd version of the driver are focusing on the 2.6.x
    kernels......

    The Windows networking and NFS work fine via the File Manager.....and I note
    the File Manager now automatically detects and configures DVD writers...

    It all seems to be there....and the benefit of a distro like this one is
    that the "out-of-box" experience is pretty damned good......in fact,
    perfect (so far).

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home
    steve, Dec 12, 2004

  2. steve wrote:
    > I have just installed the latest version of Xandros Linux: V3.0
    >
    > The biggest item on my happy-chappy list is that is automatically recognised
    > my Epson 1670 USB scanner....and it works perfectly with the "Kooka"
    > scanner and OCR software included with the KDE desktop (3.3.0)in Xandros.
    >
    > The previous version, Xandros 2.0, saw the scanner via USB....but had no
    > idea what to do to make it work....and I just didn't have time to fiddle
    > with all the config details required in the HOWTO for that scanner make /
    > model.
    >
    > Now if I can get the cheapo DSE wireless PCI card working with the 2.6.9
    > kernel included in Xandros 3.0.....I'll be happy.
    >
    > I've had earlier versions of the driver working with Xandros 2.0 and kernel
    > 2.4.24-x1, but the driver wasn't stable.......and the people who have been
    > fixing the GPL'd version of the driver are focusing on the 2.6.x
    > kernels......
    >
    > The Windows networking and NFS work fine via the File Manager.....and I note
    > the File Manager now automatically detects and configures DVD writers...
    >
    > It all seems to be there....and the benefit of a distro like this one is
    > that the "out-of-box" experience is pretty damned good......in fact,
    > perfect (so far).

    I am looking foward to when I can score a copy to play with. I was very
    happy with 2.0 OR so i am expecting this to be an advance on that.
    Collector>>NZ, Dec 12, 2004

  3. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:07:17 +1300, steve
    <> wrote:

    >I have just installed the latest version of Xandros Linux: V3.0
    >
    >The biggest item on my happy-chappy list is that is automatically recognised
    >my Epson 1670 USB scanner....and it works perfectly with the "Kooka"
    >scanner and OCR software included with the KDE desktop (3.3.0)in Xandros.
    >
    >The previous version, Xandros 2.0, saw the scanner via USB....but had no
    >idea what to do to make it work....and I just didn't have time to fiddle
    >with all the config details required in the HOWTO for that scanner make /
    >model.
    >
    >Now if I can get the cheapo DSE wireless PCI card working with the 2.6.9
    >kernel included in Xandros 3.0.....I'll be happy.
    >
    >I've had earlier versions of the driver working with Xandros 2.0 and kernel
    >2.4.24-x1, but the driver wasn't stable.......and the people who have been
    >fixing the GPL'd version of the driver are focusing on the 2.6.x
    >kernels......
    >
    >The Windows networking and NFS work fine via the File Manager.....and I note
    >the File Manager now automatically detects and configures DVD writers...
    >
    >It all seems to be there....and the benefit of a distro like this one is
    >that the "out-of-box" experience is pretty damned good......in fact,
    >perfect (so far).

    Steve,

    I think that you would be happier running Windows. If what you want is
    an "out-of-the-box" experience then Windows is a better choice than
    Linux. You will not have to fiddle with stuff to make it work, which
    should make you happy, and you have a built-in support structure in
    WindowsUpdate which downloads any needed patches for you! And in
    addition you can phone Microsoft support for help! If you want to chat
    to other Windows users, there are numerous newsgroups and mailing
    lists where enthusiasts provide mutual support and often you can solve
    your problems simply by asking! And as you become more at home with
    Windows, you could possible help other new Windows users with their
    problems.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    {Microsoft MVP - Directory Services}

    --

    The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

    http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html
    Enkidu, Dec 12, 2004
  4. Enkidu wrote:
    >>It all seems to be there....and the benefit of a distro like this one is
    >>that the "out-of-box" experience is pretty damned good......in fact,
    >>perfect (so far).

    > I think that you would be happier running Windows.

    willing to be corrected, but I think he has 5 machines, all needing
    office from memory, so that could be kinda expensive.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 12, 2004
  5. steve

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >>> It all seems to be there....and the benefit of a distro like this one is
    >>> that the "out-of-box" experience is pretty damned good......in fact,
    >>> perfect (so far).

    >> I think that you would be happier running Windows.

    > willing to be corrected, but I think he has 5 machines, all needing
    > office from memory, so that could be kinda expensive.

    Theres bait on that hook ;-)
    Alex Axolotl, Dec 12, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    Enkidu <> wrote:

    >You will not have to fiddle with stuff to make it work...

    And no need to download a continual stream of virus and security
    updates, and no fear of your machine being turned into a zombie for DDOS
    attacks, or of your Web browser, e-mail client or office software being
    used as weapons against you, and no worries about having to re-authorize
    the software if you change your hardware configuration, or having to
    worry about licences for additional machines?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 13, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    steve <> wrote:

    >I've had earlier versions of the driver working with Xandros 2.0 and kernel
    >2.4.24-x1, but the driver wasn't stable.......and the people who have been
    >fixing the GPL'd version of the driver are focusing on the 2.6.x
    >kernels......

    So why not use a 2.6.x kernel? I think these also have better hotplug
    support.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 13, 2004
  8. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:19:29 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Enkidu wrote:
    >>>It all seems to be there....and the benefit of a distro like this one is
    >>>that the "out-of-box" experience is pretty damned good......in fact,
    >>>perfect (so far).

    >> I think that you would be happier running Windows.

    >willing to be corrected, but I think he has 5 machines, all needing
    >office from memory, so that could be kinda expensive.

    Can you spell "satire"? Although it is true that I am a MS MVP, I also
    run and work with Linux. Majorly, actually. I know that Steve's
    reaction to everything Microsoft is "Install Linux!". I was poking
    gentle fun at his anti-MS bigotry.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 13, 2004
  9. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:30:39 +1300, Bret <> wrote:

    >Enkidu wrote:
    >>
    >> I think that you would be happier running Windows. If what you want is
    >> an "out-of-the-box" experience then Windows is a better choice than
    >> Linux. You will not have to fiddle with stuff to make it work, which
    >> should make you happy, and you have a built-in support structure in
    >> WindowsUpdate which downloads any needed patches for you! And in
    >> addition you can phone Microsoft support for help! If you want to chat
    >> to other Windows users, there are numerous newsgroups and mailing
    >> lists where enthusiasts provide mutual support and often you can solve
    >> your problems simply by asking! And as you become more at home with
    >> Windows, you could possible help other new Windows users with their
    >> problems.
    >>

    >You should try Xandros Cliff, everything you are saying is not applicable to
    >Xandros.

    Nah, I prefer my Debian-built-from-three-floppies systems....

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 13, 2004
  10. steve

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:22:04 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    >>You should try Xandros Cliff, everything you are saying is not applicable
    >>to Xandros.
    >>

    > Nah, I prefer my Debian-built-from-three-floppies systems....

    You could at least use the CD version of those 3 floppies :)

    With my Debian installs, I tended to need the 4 driver floppies as well
    for the network cards. The CD was much quicker - no changing disks.

    Anyway, just a curiosity question for the Directory Services MVP (is this
    a recent development? or have you just been keeping quiet), have you
    done much in the way of getting Active Directory and OpenLDAP/Kerberos etc
    interoperating with each other? On Debian would also be useful to know.

    I think that will be one of my big projects for the new year.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Dec 13, 2004
  11. steve

    Bret Guest

    Bret, Dec 14, 2004
  12. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:26:08 +1300, "AD." <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:22:04 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >>>You should try Xandros Cliff, everything you are saying is not applicable
    >>>to Xandros.
    >>>

    >> Nah, I prefer my Debian-built-from-three-floppies systems....

    >You could at least use the CD version of those 3 floppies :)
    >
    >With my Debian installs, I tended to need the 4 driver floppies as well
    >for the network cards. The CD was much quicker - no changing disks.
    >
    >Anyway, just a curiosity question for the Directory Services MVP (is this
    >a recent development? or have you just been keeping quiet), have you
    >done much in the way of getting Active Directory and OpenLDAP/Kerberos etc
    >interoperating with each other? On Debian would also be useful to know.

    I wish you luck on that one. Succeed and you could rake the money in
    (just not as fast as Microsoft of course - market forces and all). I
    think that they are too different.

    I've been an MVP for about a year. I got it for helping out in the
    newsgroups. I didn't get it for being a MS evangelist, which is good
    because I tend to support MS in other environments (eg Linux) and
    Linux when I see stupid attacks in MS environments.

    I actually currently work in an all Linux environment.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 14, 2004
  13. steve

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:37:11 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:26:08 +1300, "AD." <> wrote:
    >>Anyway, just a curiosity question for the Directory Services MVP (is
    >>this a recent development? or have you just been keeping quiet), have
    >>you done much in the way of getting Active Directory and
    >>OpenLDAP/Kerberos etc interoperating with each other? On Debian would
    >>also be useful to know.
    >>

    > I wish you luck on that one. Succeed and you could rake the money in
    > (just not as fast as Microsoft of course - market forces and all). I
    > think that they are too different.

    I don't think it would be impossible if you are in a technical environment
    with good MS and Unix skills. But in a more general business environment,
    there would be a huge gulf in understanding that would make it very hard
    to pull off.

    We aren't systems consultants (we used to be though), rather we're a
    software product (Java based) company now. Any work in this area would be
    for our own benefit and possibly the products rather than offering
    services to clients.

    We're just looking at authentication and authorisation (eg SSO) rather
    than integrating any higher level systems management or configuration
    stuff. Later on integrating cross browser SPNEGO authentication into our
    product would be another goal.

    Thanks anyway, I'll be sure to post any success we have :)

    > I've been an MVP for about a year. I got it for helping out in the
    > newsgroups. I didn't get it for being a MS evangelist,

    That seems to be the case for nearly all MVPs I've seen. I've happened
    across a few with good Linux skills over the years too.

    > which is good because I tend to support MS in other environments (eg
    > Linux) and Linux when I see stupid attacks in MS environments.

    These days I'll defend MS products if the argument against them is
    appallingly ignorant (eg Lennier). But I can't seem to bring myself to
    support the company :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Dec 14, 2004
  14. steve

    AD., Dec 14, 2004
  15. In article <>,
    "AD." <> wrote:

    >We aren't systems consultants (we used to be though), rather we're a
    >software product (Java based) company now.

    I'd suggest planning to add other strings to your bow besides Java. It
    looks more and more like a niche technology these days, particularly
    since Sun has maintained such tight ownership of it, and Sun hasn't been
    looking too healthy lately.

    >These days I'll defend MS products if the argument against them is
    >appallingly ignorant (eg Lennier). But I can't seem to bring myself to
    >support the company :)

    When you can't depend on brand loyalty, the only thing that keeps you
    going is the superiority of your product. :)
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 14, 2004
  16. In article <>,

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 14, 2004
  17. steve

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:33:39 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "AD." <> wrote:
    >
    >>We aren't systems consultants (we used to be though), rather we're a
    >>software product (Java based) company now.

    > I'd suggest planning to add other strings to your bow besides Java. It
    > looks more and more like a niche technology these days, particularly since
    > Sun has maintained such tight ownership of it, and Sun hasn't been looking
    > too healthy lately.

    Ahh, not that one again.

    Are you seriously suggesting that Java isn't a good platform for a large
    web based cross platform 'Enterprise' product?

    What would you suggest? C?

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Dec 14, 2004
  18. steve

    AD., Dec 14, 2004
  19. AD. wrote:
    >>>We aren't systems consultants (we used to be though), rather we're a
    >>>software product (Java based) company now.

    >>I'd suggest planning to add other strings to your bow besides Java. It
    >>looks more and more like a niche technology these days, particularly since
    >>Sun has maintained such tight ownership of it, and Sun hasn't been looking
    >>too healthy lately.

    > Ahh, not that one again.
    > Are you seriously suggesting that Java isn't a good platform for a large
    > web based cross platform 'Enterprise' product?

    it is used for a hell of a lot in our business.
    some of it very poorly designed(IM not so HO), but still used frequently.

    Arent there contiunuous rumours that Sun will open(source) Java?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 14, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 14, 2004