    running dual boot (i.e. Windows & OSX):
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10794396/from/RS.3/

    All I can say is ... Wow, that was fast.

    Daniel, Jan 11, 2006

  2. Daniel wrote:

    > Well, looks like they can be purchased on the US Apple store. The
    > Australian one has them advertised/displayed, but, doesn't look like
    > they can be purchased.
    >
    > Both using the new dual-core intel CPU (based on the Pentium M core -
    > ie. cool and efficient). I don't think even Dell has these babies yet.
    >
    > Apparently Apple have confirmed that they have no issues with people
    > running dual boot (i.e. Windows & OSX):
    > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10794396/from/RS.3/
    >
    > All I can say is ... Wow, that was fast.

    They're available for ordering now at www.totallymac.com. Their
    shipping times indicate that they'll be despatched in January, but I
    think February is probably a more realistic expectation.

    Of course, the full benefits of these machines will not be enjoyed
    until Microsoft and Adobe compile their software natively for the Intel
    processor, but that shouldn't be too far away. There will definitely be
    some exciting Apple products released this year.

    alastair.geek.nz, Jan 12, 2006

  3. Daniel

    -=rjh=- Guest

    alastair.geek.nz wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >

    >>Well, looks like they can be purchased on the US Apple store. The
    >>Australian one has them advertised/displayed, but, doesn't look like
    >>they can be purchased.
    >>
    >>Both using the new dual-core intel CPU (based on the Pentium M core -
    >>ie. cool and efficient). I don't think even Dell has these babies yet.
    >>
    >>Apparently Apple have confirmed that they have no issues with people
    >>running dual boot (i.e. Windows & OSX):
    >>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10794396/from/RS.3/
    >>
    >>All I can say is ... Wow, that was fast.

    > They're available for ordering now at www.totallymac.com. Their
    > shipping times indicate that they'll be despatched in January, but I
    > think February is probably a more realistic expectation.
    >
    > Of course, the full benefits of these machines will not be enjoyed
    > until Microsoft and Adobe compile their software natively for the Intel
    > processor, but that shouldn't be too far away. There will definitely be
    > some exciting Apple products released this year.

    I've just watched the MacWorld keynote webcast, and usually it takes few
    hours for the effects of Jobs' Reality Distortion Field to wear off.
    Looking at apple.co.nz is a big help. Nobody will be buying one of these
    things to run Windows.

    The 1.83GHz MacBook Pro is going to be $4700 - that's for a laptop with
    a 15.4" display! Once again, the US price of $2499 has little relation
    to the NZ price.

    Probably the most interesting thing I noted about the keynote (apart
    from the scary growth curve of iPod sales), is that Apple seem to "get"
    RSS, and have built it into some of their products, like photocasting in
    iPhoto. Nice idea. It doesn't really do anything that you can't do using
    flickr and an RSS reader, but it integrates it into an application in a
    way that will make people use it without ever having heard of RSS.

    -=rjh=-, Jan 12, 2006
  4. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    alastair.geek.nz wrote:

    > They're available for ordering now at www.totallymac.com. Their
    > shipping times indicate that they'll be despatched in January, but I
    > think February is probably a more realistic expectation.

    Right. Thanks for the info.

    I think they made a typo with the 20" x86 iMac. It's only got an X600XT
    GPU, which is "somewhat" slower than an X1600.

    Daniel, Jan 12, 2006
  5. Daniel

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > alastair.geek.nz wrote:
    >

    >> They're available for ordering now at www.totallymac.com. Their
    >> shipping times indicate that they'll be despatched in January, but I
    >> think February is probably a more realistic expectation.
    >>

    > Right. Thanks for the info.
    >
    > I think they made a typo with the 20" x86 iMac. It's only got an X600XT
    > GPU, which is "somewhat" slower than an X1600.

    Apple.co.nz are showing both the new x86 iMacs as having the X1600; the
    PPCs both have X600 (Pro and XT versions).

    Delivery is listed as late January/early February.

    -=rjh=-, Jan 12, 2006
  6. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > I've just watched the MacWorld keynote webcast, and usually it takes few
    > hours for the effects of Jobs' Reality Distortion Field to wear off.

    LOL

    > Looking at apple.co.nz is a big help. Nobody will be buying one of these
    > things to run Windows.

    Agreed.

    I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of _one_ of the main
    reasons people don't buy macs - games. If WINE can work well enough with
    Windoze games (depending on the game of course) without having to
    reboot, then that would be ideal.

    Daniel, Jan 12, 2006
  7. alastair.geek.nz wrote:

    > Daniel wrote:
    >
    > > Well, looks like they can be purchased on the US Apple store. The
    > > Australian one has them advertised/displayed, but, doesn't look like
    > > they can be purchased.
    > >
    > > Both using the new dual-core intel CPU (based on the Pentium M core -
    > > ie. cool and efficient). I don't think even Dell has these babies yet.
    > >
    > > Apparently Apple have confirmed that they have no issues with people
    > > running dual boot (i.e. Windows & OSX):
    > > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10794396/from/RS.3/
    > >
    > > All I can say is ... Wow, that was fast.

    > They're available for ordering now at www.totallymac.com. Their
    > shipping times indicate that they'll be despatched in January, but I
    > think February is probably a more realistic expectation.

    It must be February (at least) since http://store.apple.com has them
    shipping in Feb

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 12, 2006
  8. Daniel

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <43c61b75$>, Daniel <>
    wrote:

    > I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of _one_ of the main
    > reasons people don't buy macs - games. If WINE can work well enough with
    > Windoze games (depending on the game of course) without having to
    > reboot, then that would be ideal.

    I would say the chances of the Cedega people not jumping on this
    opportunity are quit slim. They already offer libraries implementing
    the Win32 APIs relevent to games on OSX (for game publishers wanting to
    port to Mac) and I imagine their commercial version of Wine for x86 Macs
    can't be far away.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Jan 12, 2006
  9. In article <>, -=rjh=- <>
    wrote:

    > Nobody will be buying one of these
    > things to run Windows.

    I saw mention this morning that M$ will be adapting Virtual PC to run
    native on the MacIntel. I wouldn't have thought that would be necessary
    if XP was able to run natively.

    --
    Dibley

    Dibley Fanshaw, Jan 17, 2006
  10. In <> Dibley Fanshaw
    wrote:
    > In article <>, -=rjh=- <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Nobody will be buying one of these
    >> things to run Windows.

    > I saw mention this morning that M$ will be adapting Virtual PC to run
    > native on the MacIntel. I wouldn't have thought that would be
    > necessary if XP was able to run natively.

    They won't boot XP without some modification because the new Macs use
    Intel's EFI instead of an IBM PC-style BIOS. Apparently Vista supports
    booting an EFI computer though.

    More importantly the majority of Mac users don't actually want to run
    Windows if they can help it, except to run a specific program, so
    Windows is normally run in a window. That requires some sort of
    virtualisation even if you no longer need to emulate the processor.

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 17, 2006
  11. Daniel

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Roger Johnstone <> wrote:

    > More importantly the majority of Mac users don't actually want to run
    > Windows if they can help it, except to run a specific program, so
    > Windows is normally run in a window. That requires some sort of
    > virtualisation even if you no longer need to emulate the processor.

    Expect Wine to turn up at any moment. Definitely expect Cedega, I'd say.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Jan 17, 2006
  12. Daniel

    mark Guest

    On 17 Jan 2006, you wrote in nz.comp:

    > In <> Dibley Fanshaw
    > wrote:
    >> In article <>, -=rjh=- <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nobody will be buying one of these
    >>> things to run Windows.

    Dead wrong.

    I suspect Apple would make quite a few more sales if their x86 laptops did
    boot XP out of the box. I was thinking of buying one to replace my Toshiba
    Satallite M40. Dual-boot would suit me just fine.

    mark, Jan 17, 2006