X64Pro becomes unstable w open office

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Pesistent, Jun 1, 2007.

  1. Pesistent

    Pesistent Guest

    I thought I would share this experience with you all since it took me
    a while to discover the problem. I have been using Open Office for
    months with no problem. Suddenly I could no longer open existing files
    or create new ones. It would go into a file recovery mode, recover a
    bogus file, send an error message to OO and start all over.

    I un-installed OO and reinstalled it with no change. I did a complete
    cleanup including removing directories, old files, registry entries,
    etc. Then I discovered I could not print from other applications, such
    as Firefox. I checked the printer icon and I could not access
    properties.

    I finally deleted the printer drivers, and reinstalled them. Then I
    reinstalled OO and it all works again. OO and other word processors
    need to know what printer is being used before it can format files to
    match that printer. Unfortunately is intolerant of the printer driver
    not being there and goes into this funky mode. I sent them a note.
    They need to do some defensive programing so that the application
    still runs without a printer and gives an appropriate error message
    that makes sense.

    The message of this post is that the cause of a trouble is not always
    what it seems. Hope this helps someone avoid similar problems.
    Vic
    Pesistent, Jun 1, 2007

  2. Pesistent

    Theo Guest

    Win XP Pro x64 does not become unstable with Open Office. I
    have been using Open Office in Win x64 for a long time, at
    least 2 years, and I have never encountered any problem with
    it. After reading your post below I opened several
    different files, power point, word, and open office doc. I
    did not experience any problem opening the files nor
    printing the files.

    So, you may have a problem with your computer, but it's not
    necessarily Win x64 causing the problem. You may even have
    a hardware problem; defective hard drives and/or memory can
    give symptoms like you state.

    Without a debugger to give you some feedback, it is pure
    speculation on your part to assume that Open Office is
    responsible for your problems.

    Theo, Jun 1, 2007

  3. Pesistent

    Pesistent Guest

    On Jun 1, 10:07 am, Theo <> wrote:
    > Win XP Pro x64 does not become unstable with Open Office. I
    > have been using Open Office in Win x64 for a long time, at
    > least 2 years, and I have never encountered any problem with
    > it. After reading your post below I opened several
    > different files, power point, word, and open office doc. I
    > did not experience any problem opening the files nor
    > printing the files.
    >
    > So, you may have a problem with your computer, but it's not
    > necessarily Win x64 causing the problem. You may even have
    > a hardware problem; defective hard drives and/or memory can
    > give symptoms like you state.
    >
    > Without a debugger to give you some feedback, it is pure
    > speculation on your part to assume that Open Office is
    > responsible for your problems.
    >
    > Pesistent wrote:
    > > I thought I would share this experience with you all since it took me
    > > a while to discover the problem. I have been using Open Office for
    > > months with no problem. Suddenly I could no longer open existing files
    > > or create new ones. It would go into a file recovery mode, recover a
    > > bogus file, send an error message to OO and start all over.

    > > I un-installed OO and reinstalled it with no change. I did a complete
    > > cleanup including removing directories, old files, registry entries,
    > > etc. Then I discovered I could not print from other applications, such
    > > as Firefox. I checked the printer icon and I could not access
    > > properties.

    > > I finally deleted the printer drivers, and reinstalled them. Then I
    > > reinstalled OO and it all works again. OO and other word processors
    > > need to know what printer is being used before it can format files to
    > > match that printer. Unfortunately is intolerant of the printer driver
    > > not being there and goes into this funky mode. I sent them a note.
    > > They need to do some defensive programing so that the application
    > > still runs without a printer and gives an appropriate error message
    > > that makes sense.

    > > The message of this post is that the cause of a trouble is not always
    > > what it seems. Hope this helps someone avoid similar problems.
    > > Vic

    Read the post again. OO became unstable because of a problem with the
    printer software.
    Pesistent, Jun 2, 2007
  4. Pesistent

    Guest

    On Jun 1, 10:07 am, Theo <> wrote:
    > Win XP Pro x64 does not become unstable with Open Office. I
    > have been using Open Office in Win x64 for a long time, at
    > least 2 years, and I have never encountered any problem with
    > it. After reading your post below I opened several
    > different files, power point, word, and open office doc. I
    > did not experience any problem opening the files nor
    > printing the files.
    >
    > So, you may have a problem with your computer, but it's not
    > necessarily Win x64 causing the problem. You may even have
    > a hardware problem; defective hard drives and/or memory can
    > give symptoms like you state.
    >
    > Without a debugger to give you some feedback, it is pure
    > speculation on your part to assume that Open Office is
    > responsible for your problems.
    >
    > Pesistent wrote:
    > > I thought I would share this experience with you all since it took me
    > > a while to discover the problem. I have been using Open Office for
    > > months with no problem. Suddenly I could no longer open existing files
    > > or create new ones. It would go into a file recovery mode, recover a
    > > bogus file, send an error message to OO and start all over.

    > > I un-installed OO and reinstalled it with no change. I did a complete
    > > cleanup including removing directories, old files, registry entries,
    > > etc. Then I discovered I could not print from other applications, such
    > > as Firefox. I checked the printer icon and I could not access
    > > properties.

    > > I finally deleted the printer drivers, and reinstalled them. Then I
    > > reinstalled OO and it all works again. OO and other word processors
    > > need to know what printer is being used before it can format files to
    > > match that printer. Unfortunately is intolerant of the printer driver
    > > not being there and goes into this funky mode. I sent them a note.
    > > They need to do some defensive programing so that the application
    > > still runs without a printer and gives an appropriate error message
    > > that makes sense.

    > > The message of this post is that the cause of a trouble is not always
    > > what it seems. Hope this helps someone avoid similar problems.
    > > Vic

    I have posted many times that I have trouble with OO and X64. In fact,
    it isn't working again at the moment. To be specific, calc is the
    program that is a problem.

    To be fair, I uninstalled it. I'll load it again and see what happens.
    , Jun 3, 2007
  5. Pesistent

    Guest

    On Jun 2, 11:44 pm, wrote:
    > On Jun 1, 10:07 am, Theo <> wrote:
    >

    > > Win XP Pro x64 does not become unstable with Open Office. I
    > > have been using Open Office in Win x64 for a long time, at
    > > least 2 years, and I have never encountered any problem with
    > > it. After reading your post below I opened several
    > > different files, power point, word, and open office doc. I
    > > did not experience any problem opening the files nor
    > > printing the files.

    > > So, you may have a problem with your computer, but it's not
    > > necessarily Win x64 causing the problem. You may even have
    > > a hardware problem; defective hard drives and/or memory can
    > > give symptoms like you state.

    > > Without a debugger to give you some feedback, it is pure
    > > speculation on your part to assume that Open Office is
    > > responsible for your problems.

    > > Pesistent wrote:
    > > > I thought I would share this experience with you all since it took me
    > > > a while to discover the problem. I have been using Open Office for
    > > > months with no problem. Suddenly I could no longer open existing files
    > > > or create new ones. It would go into a file recovery mode, recover a
    > > > bogus file, send an error message to OO and start all over.

    > > > I un-installed OO and reinstalled it with no change. I did a complete
    > > > cleanup including removing directories, old files, registry entries,
    > > > etc. Then I discovered I could not print from other applications, such
    > > > as Firefox. I checked the printer icon and I could not access
    > > > properties.

    > > > I finally deleted the printer drivers, and reinstalled them. Then I
    > > > reinstalled OO and it all works again. OO and other word processors
    > > > need to know what printer is being used before it can format files to
    > > > match that printer. Unfortunately is intolerant of the printer driver
    > > > not being there and goes into this funky mode. I sent them a note.
    > > > They need to do some defensive programing so that the application
    > > > still runs without a printer and gives an appropriate error message
    > > > that makes sense.

    > > > The message of this post is that the cause of a trouble is not always
    > > > what it seems. Hope this helps someone avoid similar problems.
    > > > Vic

    > I have posted many times that I have trouble with OO and X64. In fact,
    > it isn't working again at the moment. To be specific, calc is the
    > program that is a problem.
    >
    > To be fair, I uninstalled it. I'll load it again and see what happens.

    Calc still locks up.
    , Jun 3, 2007
  6. Hi, Vic.

    I think this is interesting - I don't believe you can blame OO for not
    understanding printer drivers, this is not something a Windows program needs
    to concern itself with. This rests solely with the OS and the GDI (Graphics
    Device Interface?) This is the part that is responsible for the 'Device
    Independency' that is at the heart of Windows. This doesn't have to mean
    that OO isn't to blame, of course. They may have a 'bug' in the way they are
    handling the GDI?

    I think that instead of sending 'notes' that they may not understand, you
    should file a bug report with OO - I'm sure that will be treated in a more
    proper manner, since they do have an organisation to specifically deal with
    that sort of thing.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 5, 2007
  7. Pesistent

    Pesistent Guest

    On Jun 5, 8:03 am, "Tony Sperling" <>
    wrote:
    > Hi, Vic.
    >
    > I think this is interesting - I don't believe you can blame OO for not
    > understanding printer drivers, this is not something a Windows program needs
    > to concern itself with. This rests solely with the OS and the GDI (Graphics
    > Device Interface?) This is the part that is responsible for the 'Device
    > Independency' that is at the heart of Windows. This doesn't have to mean
    > that OO isn't to blame, of course. They may have a 'bug' in the way they are
    > handling the GDI?
    >
    > I think that instead of sending 'notes' that they may not understand, you
    > should file a bug report with OO - I'm sure that will be treated in a more
    > proper manner, since they do have an organisation to specifically deal with
    > that sort of thing.
    >
    > Tony. . .
    >
    > "Pesistent" <> wrote in message

    > > I thought I would share this experience with you all since it took me
    > > a while to discover the problem. I have been using Open Office for
    > > months with no problem. Suddenly I could no longer open existing files
    > > or create new ones. It would go into a file recovery mode, recover a
    > > bogus file, send an error message to OO and start all over.

    > > I un-installed OO and reinstalled it with no change. I did a complete
    > > cleanup including removing directories, old files, registry entries,
    > > etc. Then I discovered I could not print from other applications, such
    > > as Firefox. I checked the printer icon and I could not access
    > > properties.

    > > I finally deleted the printer drivers, and reinstalled them. Then I
    > > reinstalled OO and it all works again. OO and other word processors
    > > need to know what printer is being used before it can format files to
    > > match that printer. Unfortunately is intolerant of the printer driver
    > > not being there and goes into this funky mode. I sent them a note.
    > > They need to do some defensive programing so that the application
    > > still runs without a printer and gives an appropriate error message
    > > that makes sense.

    > > The message of this post is that the cause of a trouble is not always
    > > what it seems. Hope this helps someone avoid similar problems.
    > > Vic

    Thanks for your input. My intent was not to blame OO or anyone else. I
    love OO and use it all the time. My intent was to save others some
    trouble shooting time if they encounter a similar problem.

    I did generate a bug report with OO. My only point for them is that
    when the printer driver is missing the OO software should handle the
    situation more gracefully rather than just malfunction. You are
    correct that it does need to know what the printer is to format the
    files correctly. But one can design software so that when it
    encounters a bad interface it does not just stop working.

    I think you may be right that the OS should handle this kind of issue
    better as well. I don't know who or how to report the problem to MS?
    Vic
    Pesistent, Jun 6, 2007