x64 works fine here...

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Noozer, May 31, 2006.

  1. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    I've had Windows XP x64 installed for a few days here and haven't been
    having any issues at all.

    The worst part of my experience was that HP doesn't supply and printer
    drivers for my HP 1115 Photosmart printer. I was able to find drivers that
    work fine.

    Other items that didn't work...

    - AVG doesn't make a free antivirus for x64, so I switched to Avast. Works
    fine.

    - Adobe document printer doesn't work as they haven't created a 64bit
    version. I never used it anyhow. Only noticed while installing DreamWeaver.

    - Quake III Autostart installer didn't work, so I just ran a different file
    on the root of the CD and the installer worked fine.

    My system:
    - AMD Opteron 165 (1.8Ghz dual core socket 939)
    - DFI LanParty nf4 Ultra D mainboard
    - Onboard nVidia Gigabit LAN
    - Onboard Marvel Gigabit LAN
    - Onboard 8.1 audio
    - 1 gig of Kingston high speed memory (2 x 512meg)
    - eVGA 7600 GT PCIe video card
    - Creative (yuck) Audigy 4SE soundcard
    - 120gig PATA Seagate hard drive
    - LG dual layer DVD burner
    - Several external USB hard drives
    - USB Logitech wireless Comfort Duo keyboard/mouse
    - Logitech wireless Wingman game controller
    - HP 1115 Photosmart printer

    Apps:
    - CorelDraw X3
    - DreamWeaver 8
    - Alcohol 120%
    - Adobe Reader 7.0
    - Stardock ObjectDock
    - Office Pro 2003
    - Quake III
    - Hoyle puzzle games 2005
    - etc...

    ....So, why are so many folks having problems with x64?

    Noozer, May 31, 2006

  2. Noozer

    M. Murcek Guest

    So true. I've been using it on my main machine since it was released as an
    OEM product. HP is way behind the curve. I'd love to be able to use my
    Deskjet 9650 from x64, but Ihave to hop over to the x86 machine for that.
    And there's no driver for the JetDirect print server either. OTOH, I just
    started using an Epson Perfection v700 attached to the x64 box, and it's
    flawless. x64 drivers CAN be done, if the hardware manufacturer makes the
    $COMMITMENT$

    M. Murcek, May 31, 2006

  3. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    "M. Murcek" <> wrote in message
    > So true. I've been using it on my main machine since it was released as
    > an OEM product. HP is way behind the curve. I'd love to be able to use
    > my Deskjet 9650 from x64, but Ihave to hop over to the x86 machine for
    > that. And there's no driver for the JetDirect print server either. OTOH,
    > I just started using an Epson Perfection v700 attached to the x64 box, and
    > it's flawless. x64 drivers CAN be done, if the hardware manufacturer
    > makes the $COMMITMENT$

    I didn't need any drivers for my JetDirect print server. Just added a TCP/IP
    port, put in the IP address of the Jetdirect box and away I went.

    Google "HP x64 drivers"

    Not sure if this will help, but this is how I got my Photosmart 1115
    working, and it wasn't even included in the compatibility list.

    Printers:
    http://extended64.com/files/14/printer/entry2015.aspx

    Scanners:
    http://extended64.com/forums/thread/2572.aspx

    Noozer, May 31, 2006
  4. Noozer

    DP Guest

    > - Adobe document printer doesn't work as they haven't created a 64bit
    > version. I never used it anyhow. Only noticed while installing
    > DreamWeaver.

    I was quite surprised to find that the beta of Office 12 allows you to
    convert to PDF.

    Also, Open Office, which is free, has a PDF converter as well.

    DP, Jun 2, 2006
  5. deskPDF works well here and does an excellent conversion job.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 2, 2006
  6. Noozer

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Jun 2, 2006
  7. Figures. Lawyers win, users lose.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 2, 2006
  8. Noozer

    DP Guest

    Like I said, I was surprised to see it in Office 12 beta.

    Not surprised now to hear it's coming out.

    DP, Jun 2, 2006
  9. "DP" wrote:

    > > - Adobe document printer doesn't work as they haven't created a 64bit
    > > version. I never used it anyhow. Only noticed while installing
    > > DreamWeaver.
    > >

    > I was quite surprised to find that the beta of Office 12 allows you to
    > convert to PDF.
    >
    > Also, Open Office, which is free, has a PDF converter as well.

    What surprised me about the Office 2007 Beta conversion to PDF is that the
    files are so large comapred to Open Office 2.02.- 228k for Word 2007 whereas
    OO 2.02 conversions are 91k.

    DC4ACS

    =?Utf-8?B?REM0QUNT?=, Jun 4, 2006