x64 with Vista64RC1

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Martin G, Sep 22, 2006.

  1. Martin G

    Martin G Guest

    --
    Inv 11 dwf Ext. SP2
    Windows XP x64 SP1

    Hi All

    I have a spare hard drive i want to install Vista64 onto.

    If I unplug my other drives and perform the install will I get a dual boot
    option when I plug the other drives back in or is it more complicated than
    that?

    Current setup

    C: windows XPx64 OS and key software.
    D: Currently empty
    G: Sofware (games)
    X: Shared drive
    ?: windows vista x64
    (D & G are on one drive, 4 drives in total)

    This will be my first attempt at dual boot.

    Regards

    Martin

    Martin G, Sep 22, 2006

  2. Martin G

    John Barnes Guest

    No. You will have a number of steps if you want dual booting. Depending on
    your BIOS, you may be able to dual boot by changing boot priority in your
    BIOS each time you want to change systems. Some BIOS require entering the
    BIOS, others are easier and allow on the fly changing.

    John Barnes, Sep 22, 2006

  3. Martin G

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Huh?

    If your Windows XP drive is in the system when you install Vista, it should
    set up the dual-boot with menus for you.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Sep 22, 2006
  4. Martin G

    Martin G Guest

    John

    Thanks for the reply. That is not a problem, I think I can do it on the fly
    (Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe) if not going in and changing each time is not a
    hardship.

    Are their any other possible hitches I need to be aware of?

    Regards

    Martin

    Martin G, Sep 22, 2006
  5. Martin G

    Martin G Guest

    Aaron

    I was going to unplug the XP drive while installing Vista as it has work
    data / software on it that I did not want to risk corrupting.

    Is it safe to install Vista on another drive with everything still
    connected?

    Regards

    Martin

    Martin G, Sep 22, 2006
  6. Martin G

    John Barnes Guest

    Can you read? 'If I unplug my other drives'. Are you saying that if the
    drive is in the system but unplugged it will set up a dual boot?

    John Barnes, Sep 22, 2006
  7. Martin G

    John Barnes Guest

    Your approach seems the safest, though not guaranteed. The only two items I
    know of are 1. You will lose your restore points in Vista each time you
    boot into XP and 2. you may have to take ownership of the XP files if you
    want to view them from Vista. I personally used your approach and then set
    up the dual boot. I have been making backups more frequently of both system
    just to be safe. As to your BIOS, I would guess that you can use F8 during
    the POST phase and change boot order on the fly, not during Windows startup.
    Good luck.
    It is still cautioned by Microsoft NOT to do this on a primary home
    computer, so be aware.

    John Barnes, Sep 22, 2006
  8. Martin G

    Martin G Guest

    > It is still cautioned by Microsoft NOT to do this on a primary home
    > computer, so be aware.

    Hence the caution.

    However my curiosity is getting the better of me :)

    Thanks for the advise John

    Martin G, Sep 22, 2006
  9. Martin G

    John Barnes Guest

    You're welcome. I haven't had any problems, but like I said I do make
    backups to cover myself.

    John Barnes, Sep 22, 2006
  10. Martin G

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I know, that's why I mentioned having the XP drive plugged in...
    Easiest way to set up a dual-boot, otherwise you'd have to switch boot
    drives in the BIOS like you said.

    Aaron Kelley, Sep 22, 2006
  11. Martin G

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    There are many ways to set up a dual boot with XP64 and Vista. With +
    and - for each method.

    I would suggest the following:

    Atrtach your "spare" HD and start XP 64. Use partitioning software to
    set it up as an extended partition with one logical drive. Restart XP.

    Copy all of your user files to the newly-created drive. Shut down XP and
    the computer. Unplug the drive.

    Start the computer and boot XP. Install Vista do Drive D, now empty.
    Make sure drive D has enough capacity. I use 40 GB. Less is possible but
    I like lots of room.

    Upon completion, Vista will have installed a new boot loader. Upon
    system start-up you will have the choice to start Vista or the earlier
    OS. Choosing the earlier system will cause the Vista boot loader to pass
    control to the XP boot loader. This will start XP if it is the only
    other OS installed. Otherwise, you will have your "old" choices as
    before Vista was installed.

    When you are finished playing errr.... investigating Vista features ;-),
    you can remove the Vista loader and restore the XP loader to primary
    control.

    There are various ways of doing that. One is to use Easy BCD.
    http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
    or VistaBoot
    http://www.vistabootpro.org/intro.php

    Good luck.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows shell/User

    Tom Ferguson, Sep 22, 2006
  12. Martin G

    RonK Guest

    Hi John,
    Just to add something to this post - I had major problems trying to install
    Vista on any partitions except the First "C" Partiton on a Raid 5 setup. It
    failed every time. I then tried installing it on the First Partition and
    all went well. Vista for some reason did not want to be on any other
    partition except the first one (It ended up as "C" Drive). The previous
    attempts would have made it "E" or "F" drive, Failing each time.

    Have you ran into Vista wanting to be the "C" Drive and no other ?

    Thanks

    RonK, Sep 22, 2006
  13. No.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 22, 2006
  14. Martin G

    John Barnes Guest

    Vista will always install itself as the C drive if installed from the DVD.
    If installed from another Windows system (XP for Vista86 or X64 for Vista64)
    Vista will keep the drive letter assigned to the partition by that system.
    As to whether it needs to be the first partition on the drive, I know many
    have installed it in the second, third partition or another drive with no
    problems, but I dont 'know' if any of those installations involved Raid5.

    Incidentally, drive letter assignment within Windows is dependent on how
    the drives are ordered when the o/s is installed and run the first time for
    XP and can be the same or different in each os on your system, and then
    again different when you boot to DOS. There is a knowledge base article
    that defines how they will be enumerated by the OS if that makes a
    difference. Vista is different in that it will always be C when installed
    from the DVD or the OS assigned letter if installed from another version of
    XP.

    John Barnes, Sep 23, 2006
  15. I would disagree. As long as he installs to a separate drive/partition,
    there is little risk of corrupting his existing install. He will end up with
    a dual boot scenario, which can be a minor annoyance to clean up after if he
    decides to totally abandon Vista, but otherwise he's not touching the data
    on his existing install.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 23, 2006
  16. Charlie, I've seen already that installing on a separate drive can render my
    test box inoperable. Recoverable, yes, but not something for casual users
    to have to deal with. This is particularly true when the Vista installation
    fails. The BCD store gets corrupted with incomplete entries. The fact that
    it is not common does't help the person it happens to. I stick to my
    answer.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 23, 2006
  17. Martin G

    John Barnes Guest

    I concur with Colin. Way too many nightmare stories on Vista NG including
    drives that end up hidden after the install requiring a third party
    partition manager to clean up the mess.

    John Barnes, Sep 23, 2006
  18. When you install Vista it may well change the drive letters and, unless
    you've given them names, you can get very confused. I'm certainly not Vista
    experienced but I installed Vista on a seperate partition to go from a
    dual-boot XP system to a triple boot system. Then I added another Vista
    system to go to quadruple boot, all without any real problems (VistaBootPro
    helped a bit). Then I removed 1 of the hardrives to put in another computer.
    That gave me problems because VistaBootPro couldn't identify where to look
    and I had some invalid boot options. Even then I could still get into my
    remaining XP and Vista systems. I had to teach myself a little bit about
    bcdedit in order to get the invalid boot options removed. Once I did that
    VistaBootpro was available for effective use again.

    I'm writing all this to show how an inexperience guy can screw up. Anybody
    with half a brain cell would realise that, before you remove some hardware,
    you should think of the consequences. However despite all this installing and
    uninstalling I never lost any data at all.

    I think the real secret is to have your data, music, videos etc on a
    seperate partition from the operating system(s) Colin

    =?Utf-8?B?U3BpcmVmbQ==?=, Sep 24, 2006
  19. Interesting. I don't hang out over on the Vista NGs and I haven't seen any
    problems here at all. But I certainly bow to your experiences.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 24, 2006
  20. Martin G

    Martin G Guest

    All

    Thank you for your words of wisdom.

    In the end I backed up all my stuff and went for an installation to a
    separate hard drive, however I did leave all the other drives plugged in.

    After 4 BSOD Memory Management Errors with Build 5600 I gave up.

    Tried Build 5728 on Sunday and that worked. My PC has set up a dual boot
    however is there a way to change 'Previous windows version' to windows XP
    x64 or similar at boot up (this is to make it wife proof :) )

    Regards

    Martin

    Martin G, Sep 25, 2006