x64 with Optusnet Broadband and Dlink Modem

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?TGVoY2FyYQ==?=, Aug 10, 2005.

  1. I have just built a new pc with the windows xp x64 installed on it. I am not
    trying to connect it to the internet using my broadband account. The modem I
    am using is a Dlink supplied by Optus. I have talked to optus who said that
    they do not support the new operating system. I have talked to Dlink and
    they have not released the drivers for the USB yet. So I am currently trying
    to connect using Ethernet.

    I have a Gigabit connection in the new pc. The modem and cable work fine on
    my old pc. According to Dlink I need to access the website for the modem
    which is 10.1.1.1 in Internet Explorer. However, when I type this in, the
    bottom of the page has www.10.1.1.1 and it alternates between .org, .edu,
    ..com etc, trying to find the page that I'm looking for. It then tells me
    that Internet Explorer tells me that it can not bring up the search engine.
    Now that I have restarted, when I do this, it changes the address to
    "http://10.1.1.1/ and says that the page cannot be displayed. Without
    accessing this page, I can not configure the computer for internet access.

    Does anyone have any ideas on what to do next? I have pinged the address
    and it works fine. Four packets sent and received. Obviously the cable and
    modem work fine as I am now currently connected to the net on the old
    computer using ethernet.

    HELP!

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVoY2FyYQ==?=, Aug 10, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TGVoY2FyYQ==?=

    Rick Guest

    What are the TCP/IP settings for your ethernet connection? Are you
    using DHCP (Obtain an IP address automatically) or Static IP (Use the
    following IP address)?

    If your using DHCP, run 'ipconfig' in a 'cmd' window to check you system
    IP, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway. If you 'Subnet Mask' is
    255.255.255.0, then you system IP must be in the range of 10.1.1.2 to
    10.1.1.255 and you Default Gateway should be 10.1.1.1. If not, then
    this contributes to your not being able to access your modem.

    If necessary, you can set a static IP by selecting 'Use the following
    IP address' in the TCP/IP Properties.

    Set: IP address: 10.1.1.2
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 10.1.1.1

    You should then be able to access the modem in IE using 10.1.1.1

    Rick, Aug 10, 2005

  3. OK, first and foremost, we need to know exactly what IP address your PC is
    at, and if all is happy. So, open a command window (Start, Run, cmd<enter>)
    and type in:

    ipconfig /all

    Expand the window sufficiently to see the entire result, and then highlight
    the text and paste it into a reply here. (right click on the title bar of the
    command window, select edit, mark. Then highlight with your mouse and hit
    enter.)

    to get to your modem, _assuming you're on the same subnet which we still need
    to confirm_, you would open IE and type:
    http://10.1.1.1 -- no "www" or such is necessary or desirable.

    However, if you want my personal recommendation, I would insert a router in
    between your modem and your PC. For one thing, you can now have multiple PCs
    sharing that connection without having to use your PC as the gateway (which
    works, but I really don't recommend it.) So, for wired the D-Link DI-604 or
    DI-704UP (usb print server) are good choices, or for wireless + wired, the
    DGL4300 is an excellent choice and even has Gigabit ethernet ports on it.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 10, 2005
  4. The following is the result of ipconfig/all:

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : thebeast
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-EA-27-BF-CB
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    4.2.2.2

    I then took Rick's suggestion and attempted to change the settings to the
    following:

    IP address: 10.1.1.2
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVoY2FyYQ==?=, Aug 12, 2005
  5. The following is the result of ipconfig/all:

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : thebeast
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-EA-27-BF-CB
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    4.2.2.2

    I then tried Rick's suggestion and attempted to change it to the following
    settings:

    Set: IP address: 10.1.1.2
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

    Unfortunately, I received the following error message:

    You have entered an invalid subnet mask. The subnet mask has to be
    contiguous. Please enter a valid mask.

    Any more ideas?

    P.S. Charlie, I did not enter the http://10.1.1.1 into the address on
    Internet Explorer. I enter 10.1.1.1 and the system changes the address to
    the above and says that the page can not be displayed. I also enquired about
    a router and was told that I would need to configure the router in the same
    manner as the modem using Internet Explorer which means that I am back to
    square one!

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVoY2FyYQ==?=, Aug 12, 2005