x64 Will Not Setup

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?bGVvcmFt?=, Sep 22, 2007.

  1. I have been trying to install XP Professional-64-Bit on my computer with no
    success. The processor in my computer, model a1640n, is an Intel Core 2 Duo
    E6300 and I’m told by HP it will accommodate a 64-bit OS. I have both a
    Windows xp Prof. x64 Edition CD that I have purchased and also a trial
    version that I downloaded from MS and I get the same result on my
    installation attempts. I get the following stop error:
    QUOTE
    A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
    to your computer.
    If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your
    computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
    Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives
    or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly
    configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption,
    and then restart your computer.
    Technical Information
    ***STOP: 0000007B (OXFFFFFADF914323CO, OXFFFFFFFFC0000034,
    OX0000000000000000, OX0000000000000000)
    UNQUOTE.
    There are no viruses on my computer, I have no newly installed hard drives
    and controllers and I have no hard drive corruption. This leaves only the
    hard drive as it relates to “properly configured and terminatedâ€. I have
    created a new partition on my hard drive on which to install the x64 OS as a
    dual boot configuration.
    Apprec. If anyone can tell me what “properly configured and terminatedâ€
    means or any other info you may know that will assist me to install this OS.
    =?Utf-8?B?bGVvcmFt?=, Sep 22, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bGVvcmFt?=

    Theo Guest

    "Stop 0x0000007B" is telling you you haven't pressed F6 when
    prompted very early in the boot-up portion of Setup to
    supple hard drive controller drivers and that you have not
    suppled the appropriate drivers for you hard drive
    controller a little bit later in the same process.

    See the article at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

    Theo, Sep 22, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?bGVvcmFt?=

    Theo Guest

    P.S.

    You should also note that you will not have the full Media
    Center functionality with Win x64.

    It appears you probably need the drivers for your Promise
    RAID controller.

    Theo, Sep 22, 2007
  4. Thanks for the help Theo.

    =?Utf-8?B?bGVvcmFt?=, Sep 22, 2007
  5. Thanks Theo.

    =?Utf-8?B?bGVvcmFt?=, Sep 22, 2007
  6. I have since reviewed the linked article. First, I get no prompt for the F6
    key. When I boot from the x64 CD, I get (1) “Press any key to boot from the
    CD†(If I do not press any key, the XP OS loads to my desktop) (2) After I
    press a key, I get a Window that says, “Windows Setupâ€, after which I receive
    the STOP Error.
    I have updated the Promise RAID Controller. I have re-checked and there are
    no viruses, no spy ware and no disk corruption; still no success. I am
    assuming it must have something to do with the disk configuation.

    =?Utf-8?B?bGVvcmFt?=, Sep 22, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?bGVvcmFt?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Leoram:
    When the "Windows Setup" screen comes up look at the bottom of the screen.
    First you'll see hit F2 then it will say hit F6. You will need to have the
    Promise drivers on a floppy to install when prompted later in the setup.
    Another pitfall you may run into during setup is that when setup reboots
    DON'T hit any key when prompted after the reboot or the setup will start
    over. Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, Sep 22, 2007
  8. Nothing appears on the "Windows Setup" screen from the time it appears until
    the STOP Error message appears. Also, if I do not hit any key when prompted
    after the reboot, the compter continues with restart and loads the xp 32-bit
    OS. Thanks anyway, Dennis.
    Leoram

    =?Utf-8?B?bGVvcmFt?=, Sep 22, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?bGVvcmFt?=

    Patrick Guest

    Have you any USB devices connected?
    Unplug them.
    And it may be a bios configuration issue.
    What is the brand and model of your PC?

    Patrick, Sep 22, 2007
  10. I have unpluged everything except the monitor, keyboard and mouse without
    results. My computer is a HP Model a1640n. I have checked the BIOS and it
    looks okay (but I'm not an expert) and I have checked with HP but they do not
    have any BIOS updates. Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?bGVvcmFt?=, Sep 22, 2007
  11. Even though you can't SEE the F6, you need to hit it. Here's the steps:
    1.) Insert CD, power on.
    2.) When prompted, press any key to boot from CD
    3.) IMMEDIATELY after you see the blue Windows setup screen, press F6. Don't
    be shy, press it several times - you can't overdue it. And since you're not
    seeing the F6 prompt, you're not sure when to do it.
    4.) follow the steps in the KB article (or on my blog) to load the promise
    drivers from floppy.
    5.) when you reboot (this happens automatically), it will now go to a dual
    boot screen momentarily and then boot into the rest of the OS installation

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 23, 2007
  12. Hi Charlie,

    If I understand you correctly, I have to copy certain promise drivers onto a
    floppy and use those drivers when I get the F6 message, “To specify
    additional SCSI adapters….†But, I cannot find the steps to do this, your
    Item (4). If it is on your xperts64 link, it will not load for me and I have
    tried to load the link a number of different ways using different browsers.
    It would be great if you could give me a link showing the steps to copy the
    specific promise drivers to a floppy. Thanks very much for your patience.
    leoram

    =?Utf-8?B?bGVvcmFt?=, Sep 23, 2007
  13. Blogs are down today for full scale disaster recovery tests. Sorry.

    The original link you were given to a MS KB article is all you need. That
    plus the appropriate x64 F6 drivers. You get those from your mobo mfg (HP in
    this case, correct?). They are copied to a formatted floppy, and you provide
    them so that Windows can find your hard disk.

    This is the exact same procedure that has been around since NT 3.1. There's
    nothing new here.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 23, 2007
  14. Thanks Charlie and all others who have helped me. I really appreciate it.
    leoram

    =?Utf-8?B?bGVvcmFt?=, Sep 23, 2007
  15. the only other thing i can think to do is install reg xp and do an
    upgrade/clean install
    you of course would want the clean, but you would have an os that might help
    with the f6 key,etc
    --
    rf

    =?Utf-8?B?cmljOTI2?=, Sep 24, 2007
  16. There is NO upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit Windows. Only a clean install.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 24, 2007
  17. Charlie:
    It seems that HP doesn't have drivers for his PC.
    I checked HP's site here
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...us&dlc=en&submit.y=3&submit.x=7&lang=en&cc=us
    And they only offer drivers for Vista and Windows XP.
    Seems like they skipped our beloved XP x64
    The motherboard model and make is Asus P5BW-LA (Buckeye-GL8E)
    I have not checked ASUS web site but Intel offers drivers for their G965
    chipset embedded in that mobo here
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...al x64 Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=109&submit=Go!
    Those drivers are for XP x64 and are dated Sept 4th., 2007 (fairly recent)

    Hope all that info helps.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 24, 2007
  18. I know i just typed in what the response would most llikely be, althought it
    would come back and say only a clean install (which is what i said in my 2nd
    line of the post, just a thought but it looks like there are no drivers for
    the mobo anyway so it's moot, but it seemed like a good idea to try and
    install from an existing os
    --
    rf

    =?Utf-8?B?cmljOTI2?=, Sep 24, 2007
  19. Carlos, I may be off base here but I believe what I need for the F6 setup is
    the driver
    for the mass storage but Im not sure if I need the 32-Bit or the 64-Bit???.
    In any event,
    I talked with HP and they are sending me a CD that has all drivers for my OS
    which
    is 32-bit. When I requested the x64 drivers they told me they cannot
    supply them because my computer was purchased only with the 32-bit OS.
    Based on
    this conversation with HP, I assume that they have them but just won't give
    them to me.
    I realize I will need the x64 drivers if and when I am successful in
    installing the x64 OS
    on my computer. Thanks much for your help.
    leoram

    =?Utf-8?B?bGVvcmFt?=, Sep 25, 2007
  20. Leoram:
    You will need 32 or 64 bit drivers according to the OS you are installing.
    Those mass storage drivers are mobo dependent and don't have anything to do
    with the actual drives you will plug in.
    Unfortunately ASUS does not post your specific mobo on their site.
    Caros

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 25, 2007