    motherboard with the T7K250 drive to verify compatibility. That aside, we
    continued to research the issue you are experiencing.

    Asus does not reply
    John Barnes, Jun 30, 2005

  2. John Barnes

    M. Murcek Guest

    If I recall correctly, John, you said these are SATA II drives? I'm using
    Hitachi Deskstar 250 GB SATA (I) drives without difficulty on an ASUS
    K8N-DL. It sure looks like firmware is a BIG issue with many devices on x64
    Edition. Is there any way to force the drive to behave like SATA (I) via
    jumpers. I know that defeats the point of getting at the SATA II
    performance, but it might narrow things down a bit. As for no reply from
    ASUS, I'm sure glad I don't have a problem I'd need to turn to them to fix.
    They appear to have no human support personnel in North America, just a
    lousy website.

    Refresh my memory which ASUS board you are using. Mine has both nVidia
    supported SATA and a SiL 3114 RAID feature that I'm not using. What's on
    the board you have? I searched the newsgroup, but couldn't find your

    M. Murcek, Jun 30, 2005

  3. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    It is a SATA II drive it will not install or boot to (when installed via
    Ghost). It installs without issue in a SATA I drive from Samsung. That is
    where the Ghost copy was made from. Also, the SATA II drive shows up in
    Device Manager on my x86 system as 300 mb enabled and test with a burst
    speed of 186.4 on x64 it shows as SATA I and a top speed of 150 and burst
    speed of 114.3

    John Barnes, Jun 30, 2005
  4. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    My board is the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe. It has both nVidia and Sil 3114 Raid
    support also. Separate motherboard connections for both - mine black Nvidia
    and red Sil Raid. I also am not using. I have tried the install with and
    without the latest drivers from ASUS and those supplied for testing by
    Hitachi. No difference in results.

    John Barnes, Jun 30, 2005
  5. John Barnes

    M. Murcek Guest

    What's the mobo model?

    M. Murcek, Jun 30, 2005
  6. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    It's in the post but guess you didn't see it. My board is the ASUS A8N-SLI
    Deluxe

    John Barnes, Jun 30, 2005
  7. John Barnes

    M. Murcek Guest

    Oops, my bad... Got my thinking cap & reading glasses on now...

    M. Murcek, Jun 30, 2005
  8. John Barnes

    M. Murcek Guest

    Hmmm. Is it possible to install x32 Windows to the Hitachi drive? It
    sounds like some interaction between the SATA 3GB/s channel on the mainboard
    and the Hitachi HDD is unsatisfactory. Again, sorry if I'm asking something
    that was answered in a previous post, I'm searching (honest) but just not
    finding. I'm leaning towards an ASUS A8N-E with a dual core CPU for my work
    desktop, but I think I'll try a WD SATA II HDD. I won't be doing this til
    late July, so I won't be able to report whether that combo works for a few
    weeks.

    M. Murcek, Jun 30, 2005
  9. John Barnes

    M. Murcek Guest

    OK, my Hitachi drives are reported as HDS722525VLSA80 - they are SATA (I)
    They're interacting fine with the nVidia SATA hardware on the K8N-DL. Seems
    like SATA II (at least Hitachi's flavor of it) is the issue here. In a
    setting where all the pieces were available, it would be interesting to
    mix-n-match to see if the Hitachi drives work with SATA hardware other than
    nVidia's, and whether other SATA II drives work with the nVidia hardware
    where the Hitachis do not. Unfortunately, that's not a setting I have
    access to...

    M. Murcek, Jun 30, 2005
  10. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Same problem with the 3g on the drive turned off. The funny thing is that
    x86 will not install either, but it will ghost and boot just fine.
    Clean install: neither x64 or x86 will install with or without the drivers.
    Ghost install: x64 will not boot x86 boots and runs fine.
    In every case, the ntdlr Ntdetect.sys and boot.ini files were those which
    are appropriate for the install.

    John Barnes, Jun 30, 2005
  11. John Barnes

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Tom Ferguson, Jun 30, 2005
  12. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks, I'll try that. Previous contacts it goes into the queue, gets
    upgraded to another level and then gets cancelled with no email reply or
    reply on the tracking web page. My first and probably last ASUS product.

    John Barnes, Jun 30, 2005
  13. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    All I am getting are server errors. At least I was able to go back and copy
    my text so I won't have to look it all up and compose the next time. Also
    this is the same page I have never gotten a response from. Just cancels
    after a week with no email feedback and only a closed message online.

    John Barnes, Jun 30, 2005
  14. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Included this issue and another issue on this request. As you said they
    came back with a quick response. Only they completely ignored this issue.
    Only covered the other issue. Not one word of acknowledgement that this one
    is even on the request, even though it was first. Hope Hitachi finally
    figures it out. ASUS is worthless and I certainly doubt I will buy another
    one.

    John Barnes, Jun 30, 2005
  15. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Hope you will post back when you install. I would try a WD, but I have one
    for my x86 system SATA I but it is soooooo noisy. So far haven't been able
    to get a copy of it to work on any other driver so I can get rid of it.
    Each time I Ghost or Drive image it, with copy or backup/restore, the system
    boots fine, but some windows service crashes and features such as internet
    connection are unavailable. Only thing I haven't tried so far is removing
    the original drive and reassigning drive letters.

    John Barnes, Jul 1, 2005