    damaged also.

    Many thanks

    Mark Hartt-Palmer
    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBIYXJ0dC1QYWxtZXI=?=, Jun 29, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBIYXJ0dC1QYWxtZXI=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You can fix your boot.ini from the recovery console on your Windows CD.
    Select option R and use bootcfg /help at the command prompt a
    bootcfg /list will show you what is there and you can select the option
    that you want

    "Mark Hartt-Palmer" <Mark > wrote in
    message news:...

    John Barnes, Jun 29, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBIYXJ0dC1QYWxtZXI=?=

    Gary MCSE Guest

    I had the same problem and I used the recovery console. The fix was to run
    FIXMBR

    Gary MCSE, Jun 29, 2005
  4. Many thanks John / Gary. I'll certainly try these methods when I get home
    later! I've also printed off the knowledge base article 307545 (How to
    recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting),
    but I hope I won't need to refer to this if the other methods work.
    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBIYXJ0dC1QYWxtZXI=?=, Jun 29, 2005
  5. Mark, could you also report this to the
    microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat and
    microsoft.private.security.spyware.general newsgroups, I'm sure the MSAS
    Team would love to hear about this. I recommend people do not do the
    automatic update or upgrade of MSAS, download it from the site, shutdown
    Microsoft AntiSpyware from the notification, uninstall, restart and install
    the new build, which is 614.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 29, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBIYXJ0dC1QYWxtZXI=?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Interesting. I downloaded and installed the latest version of MS
    Anti-Spyware right after install of x64 Edition, and it was just fine.
    Maybe the upgrade behaves differently?

    M. Murcek, Jun 29, 2005
  7. There is also some issue upgrading from definitions 5725 to 5729, here is a
    fix for it:
    If you know what you are doing :')
    Follow this, all credits to user "Taxman":

    - Download Winzip or 7-Zip
    http://www.7-zip.org/

    Download these 3 files, right click-save to disk.
    Compressed files !

    http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinitions/gcDeterminationData.gcz
    http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinitions/gcThreatAuditScanData.gcz
    http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinitions/gcThreatAuditThreatData.gcz

    - Open the first downloaded file and extract it with your Zip tool .
    Do the same for the other.

    - Right click on MSAS icon and choose shutdown.

    - Copy/paste your extracted files to Program files / Microsoft
    Antispyware
    and choose to overwrite existing definition files.

    - Start MSAS again and make a "check for updates" if you have latest
    defs.

    - If you have time, perform a full system scan directly with all
    options checked.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 29, 2005
  8. hmmm. Not seeing an issue here...

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 30, 2005
  9. Andre, I will report these to the relevant MS Newsgroups. I think that the
    startup problems could have been pure coincidence though. Thankfully, I
    managed to fex the problem fairly quickly, by:

    1. Booting from the x64 CD and going into the Recovery Console
    2. Changing the attributes of the ntldr and boot.ini files so that I could
    delete them
    3. Copying ntldr and ntdetect from the CD to my hard drive
    4. Doing a BootCfg / Rebuild.

    Many thanks for the help that was offered.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBIYXJ0dC1QYWxtZXI=?=, Jun 30, 2005
  10. Yes, but we don't want people doing this in Microsoft AntiSpywares final
    iteration. Its best reporting it to the group to prevent this from happening
    in the future to XP Pro x64 users.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    "Mark Hartt-Palmer" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 30, 2005
  11. I think this is coincidence. I would recommend running a chkdsk to make sure
    your drive is ok.

    --
    -steve

    Steve Dodson [MSFT]
    MCSE, CISSP
    PSS Security
    http://blogs.technet.com/stevedod

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 1, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBIYXJ0dC1QYWxtZXI=?=

    Rick Guest

    I just installed the latest MS AntiSpyware, Beta version 1.0, and have
    not encountered any problems. I have also ran the AntiSpy scan with no
    problems.

    If you're having a problem, there must be something specific to your
    system. I don't think this is a general problem.
    Rick, Jul 1, 2005
  13. Yep, it could be.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 1, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBIYXJ0dC1QYWxtZXI=?=

    Rick Guest

    It could be what? There were two possibilities.

    a. specific to his system

    or

    b. a general problem

    Rick, Jul 1, 2005
  15. I gave the answer, right from the horses mouth, no need to prolong this:

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 1, 2005