    be online I must sing on through AOL first. Grrrrrrr!!!

    Can anyone help?
    Thnx

    =?Utf-8?B?UGFyYW5vaWFo?=, May 25, 2005

  2. "Paranoiah" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hey guys what's up?
    > I just installed my trial edition of x64 but unfortunately I cannot get
    > AOL
    > to work!
    > I have Time Warner as a cable provider for broadband, but in order for me
    > be online I must sing on through AOL first. Grrrrrrr!!!

    AOL need to produce a Windows x64 64-bit compatible version of their
    software.

    Please read the other posts in this group about AOL and x64 Windows
    compatibility.
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], May 25, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UGFyYW5vaWFo?=

    Sam Crawford Guest

    On 25-May-2005, =?Utf-8?B?UGFyYW5vaWFo?=
    <> wrote:

    > I have Time Warner as a cable provider for broadband, but in order for me
    > be online I must sing on through AOL first. Grrrrrrr!!!

    That's a suprise. My roomate uses AOL and she can connect to the internet
    using Firefox, as soon as she boots her computer. She doesn't have to do
    anything with AOL to get online. We have DSL through Qwest and the
    broadband account is with MSN.

    That said, she uses XP Home, but I can't see how this would matter.

    Sam Crawford, May 25, 2005
  4. Also from Mike:
    If AOL require a patch for their product to work on x64 Edition then they
    should be able to provide THEIR patch.
    Contact them again for more information on the support for their products on
    the x64 versions of Windows.
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 25, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?UGFyYW5vaWFo?=

    Guest

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 21:16:46 GMT, "Sam Crawford" <>
    wrote:

    >On 25-May-2005, =?Utf-8?B?UGFyYW5vaWFo?=
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I have Time Warner as a cable provider for broadband, but in order for me
    >> be online I must sing on through AOL first. Grrrrrrr!!!

    >That's a suprise. My roomate uses AOL and she can connect to the internet
    >using Firefox, as soon as she boots her computer. She doesn't have to do
    >anything with AOL to get online. We have DSL through Qwest and the
    >broadband account is with MSN.
    >
    >That said, she uses XP Home, but I can't see how this would matter.

    ;( You're kidding right

    , May 25, 2005
  6. Paranoiah got up from the bar and shouted: :
    > Hey guys what's up?
    > I just installed my trial edition of x64 but unfortunately I cannot get AOL
    > to work!
    > I have Time Warner as a cable provider for broadband, but in order for me to
    > be online I must sing on through AOL first. Grrrrrrr!!!
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    > Thnx

    Sorry, AOL is for newbies, XP64 is for professionals. They are not
    compatible.

    Get a proper ISP...

    Mark Gillespie, May 25, 2005
  7. Andre Da Costa got up from the bar and shouted: :
    > Also from Mike:
    > If AOL require a patch for their product to work on x64 Edition then they
    > should be able to provide THEIR patch.
    > Contact them again for more information on the support for their products on
    > the x64 versions of Windows.

    Bit worrying that something as simply as AOL, embeds itself that deeply
    into the OS, that it will not run on the 32bit compatibility layer.
    That alone is reason enough to avoid AOL. (A.K.A AOHELL)

    Mark Gillespie, May 25, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?UGFyYW5vaWFo?=

    Tocapet Guest

    Just dump AOL and use MSIE and Outlook Express direct on your cable
    provider. You're paying extra just to get the AOL interface. I for one,
    get tired of having AOL thrown in my face every time I install a different
    game or other program. You have to be watching and check the "don't
    install" box or it will install. AOL is for beginners.
    It's bloatware.

    Let the flames begin

    Tocapet

    Tocapet, May 25, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?UGFyYW5vaWFo?=

    Rick Guest

    Your name says it all!

    People that don't need someone to hold their hand while they surf the
    internet avoid AOL like a case of the clap, or the plague!!

    Rick, May 26, 2005
  10. Tocapet, well said. Internet Explorer and Outlook should be enough for
    anyone and nice one (which some people hate already comes with Windows), MSN
    Explorer.

    Andre Da Costa, May 26, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?UGFyYW5vaWFo?=

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    The only good advice I can give you is to ditch AOL. It is the single most
    disgusting piece of trash software ever written. It is bloatware that
    permeates your system files, cripples many functions, and limits your
    freedom when you use their kindergarten level interface. AOL is for those
    that are too lazy or too unsophisticated to care. If you are taking the
    time to install and use Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, you are above
    the level of AOL. Get a real ISP.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, May 26, 2005
  12. AOL - 1992
    XP x64 - 2005

    See the difference?

    Andre Da Costa, May 26, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?UGFyYW5vaWFo?=

    Rob Stow Guest

    Rick wrote:
    > Your name says it all!
    >
    > People that don't need someone to hold their hand while they surf the
    > internet avoid AOL like a case of the clap, or the plague!!

    And anyone smart enough to avoid AOL should also be smart enough
    to avoid crapware like IE and OE. If AOL is syphillis for
    computers, then IE and OE are Gonnorhea and AIDS.

    Rob Stow, May 26, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?UGFyYW5vaWFo?=

    Keith Guest

    AOL sucks soooooooooo bad.....when I build a new machine for a
    customer....and they want to use AOL...I tell them right up front "don't
    call me for tech support, period"...it's that bad....I don't care what
    anyone says....

    AOL is bloatware, worse than most spyware, and attempts to so well embed
    itself in the OS that getting rid of it is really a pain....not to mention
    most AOL users wind up with more virus and spyware/malware infections that a
    2-bit oriental hooker in Bangkok...

    -Keith

    Keith, May 26, 2005