    rather than paying the full 150$ for the new software. is that still in
    effect? was it ever in effect? how would i go about upgrading if i didn't
    want to spend that much money?
    the_prophet, Jun 25, 2008

  2. Is that still in effect? No.
    Was it ever? Yes, for a few months after the initial release of XP x64 - 3
    years ago.

    There is not "upgrade" to XP x64. It is a full, clean, install. You should
    expect to format your system drive when going from 32-bit to 64-bit.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 25, 2008

  3. You have to migrate when you go from x86 to x64. XP Pro x64 does not even
    have upgrade functionality. It is a complete fresh installation of Windows.
    I'm not sure why you would prefer 64bit XP over 64bit Vista anyway. The
    support for Vista x64 is much better now than for XP x64 and support for XP
    x64 is not improving any more.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 25, 2008
  4. the_prophet

    the_prophet Guest

    i'm fairly sure i wasn't being clear. i understand completely the difference
    between 32-bit and 64-bit architecture - i run ubuntu 64-bit. i was asking
    only if there was a cheap way to acquire another license as a 'sidegrade', if
    you will, rather than just buying another whole thing.

    as for vista vs xp, i'm a professional composer and songwriter, and all of
    the applications i use are based in xp and work better there. i think
    everyone on the planet knows that vista's audio stack is totally screwed up,
    and i don't feel like attempting to bull my xp-based drivers for all my
    equipment through vista. most of what i use doesn't have a vista variant,
    anyways.
    the_prophet, Jun 25, 2008
  5. no, there's no cheap way to legally aquire a license. And if you're a
    professional, as you say, then you, of all people, should understand about
    IP and paying for the IP you use. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64