    Cleaner, and Office 2003. All updates are fine and this machine is running
    clean. It helps to do your homework and listen to these guys cause two weeks
    of prep meant absolutely NO HEADACHES at setup and install. Thanks again.
    =?Utf-8?B?Wm9mbzYx?=, Sep 5, 2005

  2. Thanks for the report back. Yes, it is possible to get x64 Edition up and
    running without pain. But it does take doing your homework and making some
    careful purchase decisions.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 5, 2005

  3. I would also like to add that in this teck world that we all think we have"
    seen it all "and" know it all", it would be nice to see a few of us swallow a
    little pride and give the due repect, of individuals such as yourself. I am
    constantly disappointed in a certain few that use this forum to argue instead
    of shutting up and listen to someone who may know a little more on a
    particular subject. This is a new age of computing and the one who thinks
    they know it all is an idiot. Thats all I have to say about that.

    Thanks again for your support and guidance, I am sure I will be using it
    more in the future.

    =?Utf-8?B?Wm9mbzYx?=, Sep 6, 2005
  4. We've all been through the pain of learning new stuff. I had absolutely ZERO
    knowledge about x64 when I discovered, literally the Friday before a major
    book on XP needed to ship on the following Wednesday, that MS had dropped
    support for Itanium and was now touting "x64". Fortunately, I had good
    contacts inside MS and a superb tech editor (fellow MVP Mitch Tulloch), and
    we all got through it, and the 3rd Edition of the XP Resource Kit is
    accurate where it talks about x64 Edition.

    Since then, I've built two x64 machines of my own, and bought my x64
    Ferrari. And written quite a few things about x64, learning all the time.
    I'm here on this newsgroup with the sole goal of helping others make the
    sometimes difficult transition to 64-bit computing. And I accept that there
    will always be those who are smarter than I am, or who have a particular
    agenda they want to push. That's the nature of newsgroups, and I'm actually
    quite pleased with the overall tone of this one. We've had a couple of
    tiffs, but folks have generally backed down and played positive roles in
    helping to build this community.

    I hope you stick around and help others. We all gain when we _listen_.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 6, 2005
  5. Well said both of you, I think instead of quarrelling over who knows best we
    should come together in unison and demand 64 bit drivers for our hardware
    and native 64 bit apps. :)
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 6, 2005
  6. Hello Charlie
    Microsoft has not dropped support for Itanium.
    There will be a Longhorn version that runs on Itanium.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/windowsserver/bulletins/longhor
    n/itanium_faq.mspx
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Subject: Re: x64 Up and Running
    <Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 16:59:59 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
[...]
    <--
    <Charlie.
    <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <
    <Zofo61 wrote:
    <> I would also like to add that in this teck world that we all think we
    <> have" seen it all "and" know it all", it would be nice to see a few of us
    <> swallow a little pride and give the due repect, of individuals such as
    <> yourself. I am constantly disappointed in a certain few that use this
    <> forum to argue instead of shutting up and listen to someone who may know
    <> a little more on a particular subject. This is a new age of computing and
    <> the one who thinks they know it all is an idiot. Thats all I have to say
    <> about that.
    <>
    <> Thanks again for your support and guidance, I am sure I will be using it
    <> more in the future.
    <>
    <> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
    <>
    <>> Thanks for the report back. Yes, it is possible to get x64 Edition up
    and
    <>> running without pain. But it does take doing your homework and making
    <>> some careful purchase decisions.
    <>>
    <>> --
    <>> Charlie.
    <>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <>>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Sep 6, 2005
  7. No, I know they haven't on the Server side. But on the client side, it's not
    happening. And it was the client Resource Kit. :) Sorry if I wasn't clear.
    IA64 makes a lot of sense in the server space, especially if you deal with
    really big stuff. It's just not the right tool for clients, IMHO.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 6, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Wm9mbzYx?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Charlie.

    > we all got through it, and the 3rd Edition of the XP Resource Kit is
    > accurate where it talks about x64 Edition.

    THIRD edition of the XP RK? I've got the first and second editions; where
    can I find the third? Did you write that?

    I suppose I should wait for the Vista RK, but that will probably be well
    over a year away. There's still a lot about x64 that I would love to have
    explained before then. ;^}

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Sep 6, 2005
  9. Understood or not I was expressing my gratitude on different posts for all
    here and also admitting that I know little or nothing but what I learn here,
    there and everywhere, from all of you who take your time to help others.
    My dry humor seems to not go over well. ("Sorry Charlie")
    I DO THANK YOU ALL......( and yes Charlie R., you are "My Main Man
    here"...... and thankyou again for your continueing help), john
    Ps, Can we get Spell Check on Here?....lol...

    =?Utf-8?B?am9yb21v?=, Sep 7, 2005
  10. Yes, I worked on a limited revision of the Windows XP Resource Kit for
    Microsoft Press. It's available wherever such things are sold, including
    Amazon. We actually wanted to do a full scale revision, but ultimately we
    only got the go ahead to do a targetted one. So there is full coverage of
    the new Windows Firewall, and new coverage around Wireless networking, and
    x64 Edition. And the entire book got a careful going over and tech edit that
    found some errors as well.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 7, 2005
  11. Spell check? We don't NEED no stinkin' spell check. ;)

    Humour? sometimes it's just hard to recognize when you've spent the last 8
    hours struggling with a chapter that does NOT want to be written and then
    you put in some late night hours on the newsgroup, trying to catch up.
    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 7, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?Wm9mbzYx?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Charlie.

    OK. I'll look for the 3rd Edition next time I get to a good computer
    bookstore. But I hope I can find a way to pay for just the new pages. ;^}
    I hate to pay again for all those pages I've already read. Maybe I'll wait
    until after the Summit and see what I learn there.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX