x64-to-Vista: What do you lose with a clean install?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by DP, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. DP

    DP Guest

    Now that it looks like moving to Vista from x64 will require a clean install
    (see recent thread in this same newsgroup), that brings up a question or
    two.

    1) Will my x64 drivers work in Vista? I only have two that I'm really
    worried about, my Canon printer/scanner/fax and my Belkin wireless
    connector.
    Printer did not come with x64 drivers, but I downloaded them from the Canon
    site. I specifically made sure such drivers would be available before I
    bought the printer.
    Belkin cust support wasn't helpful when I asked about x64 drivers. But
    through Planetamd64 and perhaps another site, I was able to determine that I
    could download drivers for the Ralink chipset that goes into the Belkin
    device. I got that to work, but I'm not sure I could duplicate the process
    even for x64 again if I had to. Having to go through that process for Vista
    is scary unless Belkin decides to support that.
    Would I be correct to assume I'd need Vista drivers for both, and not x64
    drivers?

    2) While MS says a clean install is required to move from x64 to Vista, do
    you think a dual-boot system would work? Would I be able to keep my x64 OS
    and install Vista as another boot option? I can't see why I couldn't, since
    it's possible now to share x64 with WinXP 32-bit or even ME and 98.
    Would Vista have to be installed on the C: drive? That's where I've got x64
    now. Can Vista run from another drive, say, E:, or does it have to run from
    a drive designated as C:? In other words, if you have two OSes installed,
    how does it account for the fact that both OSes "like" to be on the C:
    drive, while in fact one of them has to be installed on a different drive or
    partition?

    No rush for any answers. If I make a switch, it won't be until Vista is
    available retail. I'm not running any betas.

    DP, Jul 21, 2006

  2. DP wrote:
    > Now that it looks like moving to Vista from x64 will require a clean install
    > (see recent thread in this same newsgroup), that brings up a question or
    > two.
    >
    > 1) Will my x64 drivers work in Vista? I only have two that I'm really
    > worried about, my Canon printer/scanner/fax and my Belkin wireless
    > connector.

    Impossible to say, at this point. Some WinXPx64 drivers have worked
    with differing beta builds of Vista64, and some have not. Some have
    worked with early builds, but not later builds. Ironically, this is
    also true of some beta Vista drivers, as well. In all cases, consult
    each "questionable" device's manufacturer about the availability of
    Vista64-specific drivers, or to determine the compatibility of the older
    WinXPx64 drivers.

    > Printer did not come with x64 drivers, but I downloaded them from the Canon
    > site. I specifically made sure such drivers would be available before I
    > bought the printer.

    That's the only way to do it when considering a new OS: plan ahead.
    However, if that printer model will be more than 2 years old by the time
    Vista's released, Canon may not think it worth their expense to develop
    Vista drivers. (Of course, for that matter, there's no measurably
    significant reason to upgrade to Vista as soon as it's released, either.)

    > Belkin cust support wasn't helpful when I asked about x64 drivers. But
    > through Planetamd64 and perhaps another site, I was able to determine that I
    > could download drivers for the Ralink chipset that goes into the Belkin
    > device. I got that to work, but I'm not sure I could duplicate the process
    > even for x64 again if I had to. Having to go through that process for Vista
    > is scary unless Belkin decides to support that.
    > Would I be correct to assume I'd need Vista drivers for both, and not x64
    > drivers?

    Again, it's impossible to say for sure, but that would certainly be the
    safest and wisest assumption.

    > 2) While MS says a clean install is required to move from x64 to Vista, do
    > you think a dual-boot system would work? Would I be able to keep my x64 OS
    > and install Vista as another boot option? I can't see why I couldn't, since
    > it's possible now to share x64 with WinXP 32-bit or even ME and 98.

    Yes, dual-booting is certainly a option.

    > Would Vista have to be installed on the C: drive? That's where I've got x64
    > now. Can Vista run from another drive, say, E:, or does it have to run from
    > a drive designated as C:? In other words, if you have two OSes installed,
    > how does it account for the fact that both OSes "like" to be on the C:
    > drive, while in fact one of them has to be installed on a different drive or
    > partition?

    Just like earlier versions of Windows, Vista needs to be installed on
    it's own partition. Also just like earlier versions of WinNT, Win2K,
    and WinXP, Vista needs only place its boot management files on the
    Primary Active partition (C:).

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jul 21, 2006

  3. DP:
    The Ralink wireless drivers installed during installation with Vista
    x64 CPP release. I could look-up the printer drivers for Canon printer if
    you give the model number. Vista x64 is only a clean installation, no
    upgrade installation path is available. Also there have been various
    concerns when performing an upgrade installation from xpsp2 to Vista x86
    with the CPP release.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Jul 21, 2006
  4. DP

    DP Guest

    "Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 (5384), OPP2007B2" <>
    wrote in message news:...
    > DP:
    > I could look-up the printer drivers for Canon printer if you give
    > the model number.

    Pixma MP780.
    I haven't been back to the Canon site lately. But right before I bought the
    printer, the model was pretty easy to find on the website.
    After I bought the printer, I had to do some heavy searching on the site to
    find the model so I could download the x64 drivers.
    That leads me to believe the printer is scheduled for discontinuance or
    already has been discontinued.

    DP, Jul 21, 2006
  5. DP:
    Canon Inkjet MP780 is listed in the add printers section, I'm not
    sure if it's the same as the Pixma MP780.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Jul 21, 2006
  6. DP

    Larry Hodges Guest

    "DP" <> wrote in message

    > "Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 (5384), OPP2007B2" <>
    > wrote in message
    >> DP:
    >> I could look-up the printer drivers for Canon printer if you give
    >> the model number.

    > Pixma MP780.
    > I haven't been back to the Canon site lately. But right before I bought
    > the printer, the model was pretty easy to find on the website.
    > After I bought the printer, I had to do some heavy searching on the site
    > to find the model so I could download the x64 drivers.
    > That leads me to believe the printer is scheduled for discontinuance or
    > already has been discontinued.

    I have an Pixma MP500 multi function. Works flawlessly for everything in
    x64. Scans directly into PhotoShop, Acrobat, etc. Unlike HP, Canon does a
    superb job with their drivers. Trim, compact, useful. Good job Canon.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Jul 21, 2006
  7. DP

    wrote in message news:...
    > DP:
    > Canon Inkjet MP780 is listed in the add printers section, I'm not
    > sure if it's the same as the Pixma MP780.

    Probably. Thanks.
    So that means the MP780 drivers are on the install disk (at least for the
    beta right now)?

    DP, Jul 21, 2006
  8. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Maybe they came thru for you, but many of us with printers 1-2 years old
    didn't get any support.

    John Barnes, Jul 21, 2006
  9. DP

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Sorry to hear that. Looks like Vista support for you.

    Larry Hodges, Jul 21, 2006
  10. The short answer is - don't count on it. All drivers for x64 Vista must be
    signed, and many of the drivers for x64 XP are not, yet. OTOH, the overall
    driver situation for Vista should be better than it is today for XP x64 -
    vendors have a very real incentive to provide Vista drivers. No 64bit
    drivers? No Vista logon on it. Both software and hardware _must_ work with
    the 64bit version of Vista to get the logo. (Note that this does _not_ mean
    there needs to be a fully 64bit version of software - just that it has to
    work with the 64bit version, even if it is natively a 32-bit version. )

    (as an interesting side note: The reverse is not true - if the product only
    works with 64bit Vista, it still qualifies for the logo. Or at least that
    was what I heard the last time I checked.)

    On #2 - Yes, you can dual boot. And no, you don't need to put Vista on C: -
    it will go on any partition. But will rearrange your drive letters to make
    its partition C:. This isn't an issue in most cases. Many of us are
    currently dual (or more) booting our systems right now, keeping XP x64
    around to get some work done while we try the latest build of Vista and give
    up in frustration again...

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 21, 2006
  11. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    .. Both software and hardware _must_ work with
    > the 64bit version of Vista to get the logo. (Note that this does _not_
    > mean there needs to be a fully 64bit version of software - just that it
    > has to work with the 64bit version, even if it is natively a 32-bit
    > version. )

    Do all functions have to be working, or just some. ie Roxio 8 has a backup
    program that only works on x86 installs, not x64. There are several others
    that I have run across, also.

    John Barnes, Jul 21, 2006
  12. BackUpMyPC is bundled software. Roxio EMC 8 could qualify apart from the
    bundled programs. If BackUpMyPC were integrated into EMC it would be
    different.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 21, 2006
  13. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    My guess is that 95% of all Vista software will be either a full purchase or
    an upgrade anyway. EMC 9 anyone. There needs to be a warning label on any
    new computer delivered with Vista warning the customer that there is a good
    chance most of their previous software will not install or run. I have
    already been responded to by most of the software that didn't install (or
    work), roughly 80%, that I will have to buy the new version when it is
    available. They also, for the most part, seem in no hurry to have it
    available at RTM time, preferring to deliver it several months later for
    some reason. At least all my hardware works with Vista86, but some won't
    work with Vista64. Looks like Vista will cost me over $1,000 if I can even
    find replacement software.

    John Barnes, Jul 21, 2006
  14. This is not consistent with my own experience or with the Beta 2 reviews I
    am reading (ZDNews, etc.) There are issues, but XP was worse six months out
    from rtm.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 21, 2006
  15. I would expect most of them to get solved by RTM. Not all, certainly, but
    most. I know that MS is aggressively pursuing any reports of compatibility
    problems.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 22, 2006
  16. I don't know. But I would have to say that I would expect it to be certainly
    the vast majority of functionality.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 22, 2006
  17. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    I gave up trying to install anything that required the compatibility wizard
    when I found that two programs that seemed to install with it (but didn't
    work), would not uninstall even though going thru the motions and saying
    they were uninstalled. Still there, in program files, registry etc.

    John Barnes, Jul 22, 2006
  18. OTOH, my Acer eManager program for the Ferrari installs just fine by using
    Server 2k3 Compatibility mode. And then works exactly as I would expect.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 22, 2006
  19. Larry, did you install the x64 MP500 drivers on Vista ?? Where dod you get
    them from
    I tried the XP64 drivers and they do not work.
    --
    Gabby

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2Fpcm5zNTM=?=, Aug 20, 2006
  20. DP

    Larry Hodges Guest

    I never got it to work in Vista either. In fact, I've not used Vista64
    much. Just don't have the time to fiddle fart around with it. If memory
    serves, I did try installing the x64 drivers, and they didn't work.

    I do like the MP500, however. It works great for everything I do, including
    photo printing. I've always had HP, and this is my first Canon. I'll not
    clients with HP equipment and it's a joke. The deskjet stuff is anyway.
    Not the HP of the old days, that's for sure. The software alone is so fat,
    it makes MS Office look like an applet.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Aug 20, 2006