X64 Technology Advancement Program, is it free or a charge ?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?c3RldmUgaC4=?=, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. The web page seems to imply it's free, using the word "trade". Is it free ?

    =?Utf-8?B?c3RldmUgaC4=?=, Jun 21, 2005

  2. No, its not, you are just swapping out your 32 bit license for another copy
    of Windows, (only with more power". So in some sense, you are getting some
    for free, a more powerful Windows. Your 32 XP Professional license will be
    deactivated after the license exchange preventing future after activations.
    So make sure you are ready for XP Professional x64.

    You might want to give the trial a try first.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 21, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?c3RldmUgaC4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree with Andre except not might. You will want to use the trial to make
    sure the hardware and software you want/need to use will work in x64.
    As he says once you trade your license you can't reinstall your old system
    and activate it.
    The trial is cheap and if you can live long enough to have it delivered (or
    download it) it could save you a lot of expense replacing hardware and
    software if yours are not compatible.
    It would be interesting to see a poll of those posting here as to how many
    are dual booting and what % of time they use each.

    John Barnes, Jun 21, 2005
  4. And you can do an inplace upgrade from the full version.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 21, 2005
  5. thats if you can get your coa/pid to work you mean

    =?Utf-8?B?cnVzc193aWxs?=, Jun 21, 2005
  6. Well, the trial last for 17 weeks, some persons have not received theirs
    within the past 8 weeks, but I don't expect it to go past 17, so you can go
    ahead and standardize on it.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 21, 2005
  7. "steve h." wrote:

    > The web page seems to imply it's free, using the word "trade". Is it free ?

    I'm trying to order the trade right now and the MS website keeps rejecting
    my information. Says incorrect address

    =?Utf-8?B?c3RldmUgaC4=?=, Jun 21, 2005
  8. "steve h." <> wrote in message

    > "steve h." wrote:
    >
    >> The web page seems to imply it's free, using the word "trade". Is it free
    >> ?

    > I'm trying to order the trade right now and the MS website keeps rejecting
    > my information. Says incorrect address

    Don't do it. Your best bet is to purchase the OEM version from newegg.com
    or similar, and keep your 32 bit license. Driver support for XP Pro x64 is
    abysmal at best right now. Dual boot, or triple boot is the way to go for
    now.

    Or better yet, just get the trial version and wait the 120 days and see if
    the driver situation improves. :)

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 21, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?c3RldmUgaC4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree with Wayne, but if you will not take the plethora of advice given,
    you probably entered the 9 digit zip code and the program many times will
    work only with a 5 digit zip code. Try that and make sure that there are no
    blanks in the field following it.
    Good luck, you'll need it.

    John Barnes, Jun 21, 2005
  10. Also, it seems completely unable to handle trailing spaces.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 21, 2005
  11. I agree with you completely Wayne, TAP is asking for disappointment.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 21, 2005
  12. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    >I agree with you completely Wayne, TAP is asking for disappointment.
    > --
    > Andre

    I am glad now that I didn't go the TAP route, but decided to just download
    the trial version. It shouldn't expire before I get my email about the free
    version being ready to download. :) (posted several bugs and was a regular
    on the private tech-beta newsgroup. Can't tell anymore as that would violate
    my NDA)

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 21, 2005