    it with microsoft, like xp home?

    Thanks
    Ralph
    =?Utf-8?B?U2hpZnRlcg==?=, Jul 1, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2hpZnRlcg==?=

    Rick Guest

    That's a very good question since there is nothing published that
    implies XP Home will support more than one CPU.

    But the question should really be posed in an XP Home newsgroup rather
    than here since it would have no effect on XP x64.

    Rick, Jul 1, 2005

  3. "Shifter" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I had just bought x64 for my 3200+ machine and was planning on
    > upgrading
    > it to a 4800 x2 in a couple of months and was wondering if formating my
    > system and reinstalling it is going to give me a problem when I try and
    > reg
    > it with microsoft, like xp home?

    No - you may just have to activate via the telephone.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 1, 2005
  4. The 32 bit editions of Windows XP do not have specific individual
    newsgroups.
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 1, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?U2hpZnRlcg==?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    If you are just replacing the CPU, why the reinstall?

    M. Murcek, Jul 1, 2005
  6. sorry, cpu motherboard, memory, video card is getting changed. wanted to go
    with pci express and old mb is agp.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hpZnRlcg==?=, Jul 1, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?U2hpZnRlcg==?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Gotcha - I figured there was something else going on.

    M. Murcek, Jul 1, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?U2hpZnRlcg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I have built a new computer in the past with almost that many changes and
    moved the hard drive with the operating system to the new system and just
    had to re activate. Everything else was recognized and installed with no
    problems. I did have a Retail system so that was no problem and I just had
    to verify the OS was in just one system.

    John Barnes, Jul 1, 2005
  9. Since you obviously have a 939-pin socketed mobo, all you should need is a
    BIOS flash before swapping cpu's. Check with the Mobo manufacturer for
    availability of BIOS updates to support x2 chips. If the change in the cpu
    id is all that happens, I doubt that you will trigger re-activation. In
    general the trigger requires a number of hardware changes.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 1, 2005
  10. that's not wha the was asking, I think. He had problems before with XP Home,
    and hopes that Professional x64 Edition won't give him those.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 1, 2005
  11. Sorry, I thought you were only changing out the cpu. You will need to
    reactivate with that many changes but you may not have to do it over the
    phone. It depends a little on how many activations you have made already.
    Activation is pretty painless even by phone.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 1, 2005