x64 Setup Can't See My SATA Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jon Davis, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. Jon Davis

    Jon Davis Guest

    I'm currently running 32-bit Windows XP on a SATA drive. I've set up on this
    hard drive an instance of Windows Server 2003 64-bit as a dual-boot. (Same
    partition, installed to \WIN2K3, I just had to rename the Program Files for
    XP, install 64-bit Windows Server, rename Program Files again to Program
    Files (32-bit), rename the "Program Files" key in the 64-bit registry to
    point to the new path, and then revert the XP Program Files back to the
    original name.) But I've since deleted that \WIN2K3 directory, as well as
    the two Program Files directories ".. (32-bit)" and ".. (64-bit)". Now I
    just boot to XP 32-bit. Everything works great for my 32-bit Windows
    instance.

    Since then I also got two more SATA hard drives and enabled nVidia RAID
    (striping) for the two new drives. I had to install drivers within Windows
    XP to see the new drives, but otherwise everything is fine there, now, too.

    Now my problem is I want to install Windows XP 64-bit, same way as I
    installed Windows 2003 64-bit. Unfortunately, however, Setup won't see my
    original SATA drive. It sees all my USB drives (LOL!! like I want to install
    Windows XP 64-bit on my 128MB USB flash drive) but not my SATA drive.

    I tried hitting F6 to load drivers, and I had a CD-ROM in the drive that I
    burned that has the nVidia nForce drivers for SATA (for WinXP 64-bit, and
    with no subdirectory nesting), but Windows said that it found no floppy
    drives. I don't have a floppy drive. *sigh*

    I'm not sure where to go from here. I could try temporarily disabling the
    RAID from the BIOS but I'm scared that if I disable it and then reenable it,
    the array will be reset (as in, logically wipe out the data).

    Here is my config as I type this:

    IDE0: DVD-RW (XP boot disc)
    IDE1: DVD/CD-RW (nVidia SATA driver disc)
    SATA0: 300 GB HD (Windows XP 32-bit)
    SATA1: 400 GB HD (nVidia RAID Disk 1)
    SATA4: 400 GB HD (nVidia RAID Disk 2)

    Any ideas? Much appreciated ...

    - Jon

    Jon Davis, Mar 23, 2006

  2. 1.) You need a floppy drive. That requirement isn't going away until Vista.
    2.) Remove the USB devices. They'll cause problems.
    3.) Hit F6, insert the floppy in the drive, and load the 64bit driver for
    your SATA.
    4.) the going price for a floppy drive is ~$15 USD. If you want a USB
    floppy, probably 3 times that.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 23, 2006

  3. Jon Davis

    Jon Davis Guest

    I've perused this newsgroup and saw it mentioned that XP 64-bit doesn't
    support SATA at setup and will only load SATA drivers from a floppy (which I
    don't have).

    However, on my 32-bit Windows (from which I'm writing this) I have UltraISO
    which lets me modify the contents of the XP 64-bit installer ISO image. I'm
    thinking I might just copy the SATA driver files to the setup path and find
    an .ini file or something to update the driver load queue. Anyone see this
    as doable?

    Jon

    Jon Davis, Mar 23, 2006
  4. Jon Davis

    Jon Davis Guest

    Ha!

    http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?s=c04380c0d0e2f2cd40bb6e1c90a26552&t=20748

    Jon

    Jon Davis, Mar 23, 2006
  5. On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 06:16:10 -0000, Charlie Russel - MVP
    <> wrote:

    > 4.) the going price for a floppy drive is ~$15 USD. If you want a USB
    > floppy, probably 3 times that.

    Or considerably more, if your motherboard has no floppy drive connector...
    (which many do not..)

    --
    ------------------------------------
    http:\\www.rockhangouts.com

    Mark Gillespie, Mar 23, 2006
  6. Haven't actually seen a board w/o a floppy connector, but I suppose it's
    possible. In which case, use USB. It should work if the BIOS is well
    designed.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 23, 2006
  7. Yes, that's doable, though non-trivial. And I see you've found a like to
    doing it. OTOH, having a spare USB floppy around can be remarkably useful.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 23, 2006
  8. BTW, it's not strictly true that x64 doesn't support SATA at startup. On
    some boards, it does. It all depends on how the BIOS presents the SATA.
    Since most mobos are using a RAID controller to also drive their SATA, the
    general rule is that you need a floppy. But there are exceptions.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 23, 2006
  9. On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:08:48 -0000, Charlie Russel - MVP
    <> wrote:

    > Haven't actually seen a board w/o a floppy connector, but I suppose it's
    > possible. In which case, use USB. It should work if the BIOS is well
    > designed.

    I have one here, not a x64 capable board, but they do exist, more so, that
    small form factor is becoming more common...

    --
    ------------------------------------
    http:\\www.rockhangouts.com

    Mark Gillespie, Mar 23, 2006
  10. True, I don't ever use the small form factor boards. And they mostly haven't
    been in the x64 space yet. But then use a USB floppy. Should be able to find
    one for about $35 USD. A lot cheaper than mucking around with trying to
    integrate the drivers and getting them all working. Admittedly, not as much
    fun. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 23, 2006
  11. I not sure what your pcs problem is. I have an ASUS A8N SLI DELUXE
    motherboard with 1 gig of ram and only a 160 GB SATA Drive and it installed
    the XP Pro 64bit the first time no problems. No floppy was installed at the
    time installation, that was installed later to do bio updates that i have yet
    to do.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dCBC?=, Apr 14, 2006
  12. It can see it on my Epox krda3+pro but what I found is if you've got both
    sata and pata in the system it wants to default to install on the pata drive
    no matter what boot order you've got set in your bios, therefore, my advice
    is disconnect all hard drives except the one you want to load the os on and
    then hook them back up after 64 bit has loaded up for the first time. This
    worked for me.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3VlIGluIEZsb3JpZGE=?=, Jun 20, 2006