    dependant or something that can be changed within the OS.

    Kindest Regards

    Mark

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=, Sep 23, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

    DKI Guest

    That will be the actual size of the HDD, most manufuctures count up by
    1000mb for simplicity instead of 1024mb which is 1GB

    DKI, Sep 23, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

    Rick Guest

    This is something that has existed since the first hard drives were
    produced. The figures for the capacity for the hard drives are
    expressed in two different manners; one figure is decimal based and the
    other is binary based. The decimal figure is always higher because in
    decimal 1K=1,000. In binary 1K=1,024. You won't get the two to match
    by dividing 250GB by 1,024 though because there is some reserved space
    when the drive is formatted.

    My 80GB Hitachi show a capacity of 82,335,019,008 bytes and 76.6 GB in
    the General tab of the system properties. The one in bytes is decimal,
    the on in GB is binary. But is you divide 82,335,019,008 by 1.024 the
    result is 80,405,292,000.

    So, there is nothing wrong, or unusual, about you drive capacity figures.

    Rick, Sep 23, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The formatted size is smaller than the original size

    John Barnes, Sep 23, 2005
  5. Thank you , that makes sense.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=, Sep 23, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

    VWWall Guest

    Rick wrote:
    > This is something that has existed since the first hard drives were
    > produced. The figures for the capacity for the hard drives are
    > expressed in two different manners; one figure is decimal based and the
    > other is binary based. The decimal figure is always higher because in
    > decimal 1K=1,000. In binary 1K=1,024. You won't get the two to match
    > by dividing 250GB by 1,024 though because there is some reserved space
    > when the drive is formatted.

    Formatting uses very little space on the drive. It is already low level
    formatted, and adding the file system partition(s), takes up little more
    room.

    You need to divide by 1024 three times, since drive makers use 1000 for
    each thousand and: 1GB = 1KB X 1KB X 1KB. 250GB/(1024 X 1024 X 1024) =
    ~232.8GB

    > My 80GB Hitachi show a capacity of 82,335,019,008 bytes and 76.6 GB in
    > the General tab of the system properties. The one in bytes is decimal,
    > the on in GB is binary. But is you divide 82,335,019,008 by 1.024 the
    > result is 80,405,292,000.

    Again: 82.335,019,008 GB/(1024^3) = 76.68GB, as system properties says.

    > So, there is nothing wrong, or unusual, about you drive capacity figures.

    Right answer, but wrong math! :)

    --
    Virg Wall

    VWWall, Sep 23, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

    Rick Guest

    Thanks for the correction! I guess I failed this math test!

    But it has been about 20 years since I last did my homework.

    Rick, Sep 23, 2005