    AMD Athalon 64 3800
    512 Corsair Twinx 400mhz Plt
    Asus 8AV Deluxe

    =?Utf-8?B?Q29kZWhhcmRjb2RlaGFyZGNvZGU=?=, May 21, 2005

  2. Safe mode will always be slow. If you want to kill the background "stuff"
    (whatever that really means), then go in and kill it. But running in safe
    mode will definitely cause things to run slowly.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 21, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q29kZWhhcmRjb2RlaGFyZGNvZGU=?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    You can use msconfig to leave only essential processes running after reboot.

    M. Murcek, May 21, 2005
  4. "Codehardcodehardcode" <>
    wrote in message news:...
    >I tried running my program in safemode to kill all the background stuff and
    > make it run faster... it ran as slow as SLOW can be. Should have used my
    > p200 with win2000 Adv. Ser and safe mode, a billion times faster! What's
    > up?
    >
    > AMD Athalon 64 3800
    > 512 Corsair Twinx 400mhz Plt
    > Asus 8AV Deluxe

    Safemode is NOT the way to get optimal performance for your system.

    After you have confirmed that you have got a high performance system in
    terms of hardware (disk layouts, raid, memory (more then 4GB if needs be)
    etc ) and all drivers (no Beta drivers - they contain debug code and slow
    things down)
    You should then look at what services are running and disable those not
    necessary for the running of your application or any other applications on
    that system.
    Obviously your application should be properly recompiled as a 64-bit
    application to get truly great performance or at the very least be a 32-bit
    application that supports the larger memory model switch to allow it access
    to 4Gb of memory for itself not the usual 2Gb (or 3Gb with the old /3GB
    switch)
    Once you have done that the you can obviously tune various internal system
    parameters dependent on what the application is and the work load profile of
    that app on the system.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike