    made a lot of wrong detections on x64.

    Does anyone know some good registry cleaner which is x64 aware?
    , Sep 23, 2006

  2. I would _strongly_ recommend you not run any such product. They will do no
    good whatsoever, IME, and they can lead to an unbootable system and major
    data loss. We've already seen problems in this newsgroup with these things.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 23, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > I switched to XP 64 bit version recently and now I am looking for a
    > good x64 registry cleaner. When using 32 bit XP, I was using Registry
    > Mechanic. At first, I hope I can use Registry Mechanic on X64 but some
    > tests shows Registry Mechanic is not x64 aware. It seems Registry
    > Mechanic cannot see the real Windows system32 directory on x64 so it
    > made a lot of wrong detections on x64.
    >
    > Does anyone know some good registry cleaner which is x64 aware?

    By "good," I assume you mean the one least likely to render your
    computer completely unusable? CCleaner seems relatively benign, as long
    as you step through each detected "issue" one at a time, to determine if
    it really is an "issue" or not, and then decide whether or not to let
    the application "fix" it. In my experience, most of the reported
    "issues" won't be issues, at all. CCleaner's registry "tool" is a great
    source of false alarms. I tried the latest version on a brand-new OS
    installation with no additional applications installed, and certainly
    none installed and then uninstalled, and CCleaner still managed to
    "find" over a hundred allegedly orphaned registry entries and dozens of
    purportedly "suspicious" files. (CCleaner's main strength lies in its
    usefulness for cleaning up unused temporary files from the hard drive.)

    Why do you think you need to clean your registry?

    What specific *problems* are you actually experiencing (not some
    program's bogus listing of imaginary problems) that you think can be
    fixed by using a registry cleaner? If you do have a problem that is
    rooted in the registry, it would be far better to simply edit (after
    backing up, of course) only the specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are
    causing the problem. After all, why use a chainsaw when a scalpel will
    do the job? Additionally, the manually changing of one or two registry
    entries is far less likely to have the dire consequences of allowing an
    automated product to make multiple changes simultaneously.

    The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
    the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
    device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
    registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
    loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
    confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
    each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
    using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
    experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
    Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
    of the inexperienced user.

    The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    no matter how safe they claim to be.

    Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
    use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
    inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
    no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
    products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
    or stability.

    I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
    encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Sep 23, 2006
  4. Won't post any links this time, Charlie!
    I know how much you love when I praise regcleaners.
    It's weekend time and I don't want to start a WWIII here!
    :)

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 23, 2006
  5. John Barnes Guest

    Aw go on. The warning bells have been sounded and caveat emptor prevails

    John Barnes, Sep 23, 2006
  6. Well....
    What can I say?
    Temptation is great.
    http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html
    Oops! I did it again!
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 23, 2006
  7. Now you know I would never complain about your posting that link, Carlos.
    Much less start a war on it. I value your contributions way too much for
    that. I just hate these things as a waste of money, a waste of time, and
    most importantly, a serious hazard. But it's caveat emptor - if folks want
    to destroy their systems, who am I to stop them.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 24, 2006
  8. The felt "need" to use registry cleaners is like many holdover ideas from
    Win9x days. I stopped worrying about where I put the paging file a long
    time ago too.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 24, 2006
  9. Mark Lake Guest

    I agree with Charlie that most of time you don't need a registry cleaner as
    sometimes they make things worse. Anyway, if you indeed want a regcleaner,
    try the following 2 as at least they won't destroy your computer on x64.

    CleanMyPC x64 version
    http://www.registry-cleaner.net/x64-registry-cleaner.htm

    TweakNow Cleaner http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html

    -Mark

    Mark Lake, Sep 24, 2006
  10. MMMMM tweak now PP 2006 registry cleaner wreaked havock on my pc first 2
    times and vowed not to use again BUT WINDOWS LIVE ONE CARE "ONLINE SAFETY
    SCAN" Recognizes pc os and i've had NO problems with that registry fixer as
    of YET that is since using bi-weekly....

    =?Utf-8?B?TmFzY2FyLUZhbmF0aWM=?=, Oct 11, 2006