X64, Quicken, Vista

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by DP, Nov 24, 2006.

  1. DP

    DP Guest

    I realize I should post this in Quicken and/or Vista forums as well, but I
    figured I should start with the brain trust here, a bunch of truly smart
    people.

    I've got x64 and Vista (RC1 -- Build 5600) dual booting. The other day, I
    reinstalled Quicken on the Vista partition. Already had it working fine on
    x64. As best I could tell, Quicken was working fine on both OSes at first.
    I could open and save in x64 and then open in Vista and all the stuff I had
    updated while in x64 is updated in Vista. And vice versa.

    Now, however, Vista seems to be stuck on an old Quicken file, missing recent
    transactions, etc. I even tried opening the Quicken file while in Vista by
    double-clicking on the file that I KNOW is the working Quicken file and had
    just been updated while under x64. But it still brings up the old file
    (without the recent transactions). And when I closed out Quicken in Vista,
    that file remained unchanged (the date of the last revision remained the
    same). I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure Quicken saves a
    file you've opened up, even if you didn't make any changes in the file
    itself. So the modification date should have been different, but it wasn't.

    Anybody have any idea what might be going on here and what I might do to fix
    things?

    I'm not trying too many options right now, because I don't want to hose my
    Quicken file. The Vista and x64 "versions" of the file are about a week
    apart now. (I know, I know, I can back up the good file so that I'll have it
    on hand if I do hose it. It's just that I first discovered this problem a
    couple days ago, and what with Thanksgiving, etc, I haven't had a lot of
    time to futz with it.)

    DP, Nov 24, 2006

  2. DP

    Dennis Pack Guest

    DP:
    I use Quicken in a multi-boot, XP, x64, Vista x86 and Vista x64
    without any problems. I keep all my data files in a separate data partition
    so that no matter what operating system I'm using I'm working with the same
    data. In your case I'm using the assumption that in x64 you have the updated
    data. While running Vista go to computer in the right column, double click
    your x64 partition, double click program files x86, double click Quicken
    then double click xxxx.QDF (in my case Dennis.QDF), that will open Quicken
    and the updated file will be opened. After doing this the first time every
    time you open Quicken that file will open. The end result is that no matter
    what operating system you're using you will be opening the same file. Have a
    great day.

    Dennis Pack, Nov 24, 2006

  3. DP

    DP Guest

    Thanks, Dennis (BTW, the D in DP is for Dennis as well).
    However, I would point you one line from the original post:
    >"I even tried opening the Quicken file while in Vista by double-clicking on
    >the file that I KNOW is the working Quicken file and had just been updated
    >while under x64."

    Despite all that, it still pulled up an out of date version when I tried
    that. And when I closed it, Windows explorer did not show any change in the
    modified date (ie., it still showed the last time it was modified in
    Quicken-via-x64). And, yes, I did refresh the folder, just to be sure.
    And as I said in the OP. It seemed to work fine at first. Both Quicken/OS
    combinations seemed to be updating the data and calling up the current
    version of the data when starting up.
    I am NOT ruling out user error, but I think I'm pretty close to ruling that
    out. Meanwhile, I'll keep noodling around with it as time permits. I will
    report back to the group if I have any significant new info.

    Dennis, just to give you little more detail: My working Quicken file is
    actually on the Vista partition. The Quicken-via-x64 and the
    Quicken-via-Vista both access that file. Vista is 64-bit.

    Thanks for your help so far.

    DP, Nov 25, 2006
  4. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Personally, I would make a copy of the file in another location. I would
    then access that file thru the file dropdown - open, from one of your
    systems, make some obvious changes to it. Close it. Reopen normally and
    see if the changes are there. Close normally. Boot into the other system,
    access thru file dropdown - open and confirm the obvious changes. If there,
    make obvious changes and close it. I would then reopen normally (assume it
    accesses the last file) and see if the changes are there, then go back to
    the first system and open normally and see if you are indeed accessing the
    same file now.

    John Barnes, Nov 25, 2006
  5. DP

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Dennis:
    Sorry, I missed that you were working with the same file. I agree
    with John B. about keeping a copy of the file in another location. There is
    a conflict between Vista and XP or x64 when dual booting with restore points
    and other virtual folders. With the data file being in Vista when updating
    the QDF file Vista may be keeping the update under user data virtual store
    and losing it when booting into x64. Moving the data files over to a Quicken
    folder in x64 may resolve the problem.

    Dennis Pack, Nov 25, 2006
  6. DP

    DP Guest

    > With the data file being in Vista when updating the QDF file Vista may be
    > keeping the update under user data virtual store and losing it when
    > booting into x64.

    Thanks for the tips, both of you.
    Dennis, what you describe above sounds like something analagous to (but
    obviously not the same as) caching web pages.
    I wonder if there is a way in Vista to do something analgous to clearing the
    cache -- in other words, clearing out this "virtual store" you're talking
    about.

    Also, keep in mind that though the QDF file is on the Vista partition, it is
    x64 that gets the file "right" and Vista that calls up an outdated version
    of the same file. I don't know if that is the opposite of what you're
    thinking the case may be.

    DP, Nov 25, 2006
  7. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Both XP and Vista write any cached pages on shutdown or in Vista Sleep. The
    only way a cached page should not get written is if you turn off from the
    power switch.

    John Barnes, Nov 25, 2006
  8. DP

    DP Guest

    Just to show you all how weird this has gotten:

    1) Using Quicken under x64 (I'll call it Qx64 from now on), I changed the
    password for the data file. Remember, in Qx64, the data file is the
    up-to-date one.
    Then I go to Vista, find that data file in the place it's supposed to be,
    double click on it, and Quicken will not open the file using the NEW
    password. It will open the file if I input the OLD password. Weird, huh?

    2) I didn't realize until today that Quicken has a function that will find
    Quicken files on your computer. I have four partitions. Using Quicken under
    Vista, it will find quicken files on three of those partitions. The one
    partition it won't find the files on is the very partition that Vista is on!

    It's gotten to the point now where I'm less interested in getting Quicken to
    work in Vista. I can just stick with Qx64 until Vista is actually being
    sold. But I'm more intrigued by this issue (if I'm reading everything
    correctly): That a program loaded on Vista and on x64 can have a different
    "image" of the same data file, depending on which OS you're using.

    One thing I haven't tried yet is validating the data file under
    Quicken/Vista. Before I do that, though, I've got to make sure I've got
    valid backup copies created by Qx64.

    Will report back on that as soon as I have the time to do it.

    DP, Nov 25, 2006