    printer driver. I'm not sure how to get the .inf file from the x64 XP cd.

    Thanks
    Mike Dennis
    Michael Dennis, Jan 4, 2006

  2. Why would you use x64 drivers for x86 Server? Why don't 32-bit drivers work
    for you?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 4, 2006

  3. He's expecting more power. ;-)
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 4, 2006
  4. Michael Dennis

    M. Murcek Guest

    I think he means the drivers the server needs to let an x64 client print.
    Dennis, search on Charlie Russell's posts below, and you will find an
    excellent post on how to do it.

    M. Murcek, Jan 4, 2006
  5. Print twice as fast?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 4, 2006
  6. I see.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 4, 2006
  7. Charlie wrote article about it a few months back:
    Adding support for different architectures and OSs to a Printer.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/08/05/61685.aspx

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 4, 2006
  8. Michael Dennis

    M. Murcek Guest

    Thanks for the link, Andre. I forgot that he fleshed it out elswhere, I
    only remember the thread where it was discussed a while back.

    Once again, Andre does it all!

    M. Murcek, Jan 4, 2006
  9. That's the main reason I keep the blog going. As issues come up, and are
    dealt with, I like to flesh out the whole story there when I have the time.
    Then, when they come up again (and they always do), the answer is already
    written and we only have to post a link to it.

    This is especially important because the newsgroups don't stay around
    forever. I think the microsoft versions of them are only hosted for 2 months
    (though alternatives, like deja news, last a lot longer.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 4, 2006
  10. I looked at your post and it is helpful. However, what about the other
    direction? I have a 32-bit server and a 64-bit workstation. I tried the
    procedure outlined, specified the directory containing ntprint.inf (\amd64)
    and it told me it didn't have an appropriate driver. The printer is an HP
    LaserJet 2200 which I know they have a driver for.

    Thanks,
    Darrin

    =?Utf-8?B?RmFuZw==?=, Jan 17, 2006
  11. I'm not sure I understand your question. So, you have a 32-bit server
    (running what edition of Windows?) and you're trying to add the drivers for
    your x64 Workstation? Follow the steps in my blog. You'll need to be running
    Server 2k3 SP1, I believe, to add the drivers, but there shouldn't be an
    issue. the 2200 is in there, and it installs just fine.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 18, 2006
  12. Michael Dennis

    Guest

    Thanks to these posted I downloaded and tested this morning the prebeta
    drivers for my HP psc 2510 and for the first time I was able to scan
    few sheets on my pc!!

    Thanks!!!! :)
    , Jan 18, 2006
  13. I'm not sure I understand either. The server runs Windows 2003 Standard SP1
    (32-bit edition). The workstation runs Windows XP Professional (64-bit
    edition). I followed your procedure and it looked like it should work.
    However, once I select the \amd64 directory containing ntprint.inf from a CD
    containing either XP64 or Server 2003-64 I get an error message saying "The
    selected location does not contain the driver HP LaserJet 2200 Series PCL 6
    for the requested processor architecture." This is after selected x64 as the
    processor. Maybe I've done something wrong but if I have a don't know what.
    Any insights would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Darrin
    =?Utf-8?B?RmFuZw==?=, Jan 18, 2006
  14. OK, we need to clarify one thing. You say the workstation runs "Windows XP
    Professional (64-bit Edition)". That is the Itanium version of Windows XP
    that is no longer available. If you're selecting that, you'll have problem.
    The x64 version of Windows XP is "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition".

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 18, 2006
  15. That's not what I meant. The workstation is running the x64 version of WinXP
    Pro on an Athlon 64 processor.

    =?Utf-8?B?RmFuZw==?=, Jan 18, 2006
  16. OK, then I'm at a loss. It works fine here.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Fang wrote:
    > That's not what I meant. The workstation is running the x64 version of
    > WinXP Pro on an Athlon 64 processor.
    >

    > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> OK, we need to clarify one thing. You say the workstation runs "Windows
    >> XP Professional (64-bit Edition)". That is the Itanium version of
    >> Windows XP that is no longer available. If you're selecting that, you'll
    >> have problem. The x64 version of Windows XP is "Windows XP Professional
    >> x64 Edition".
    >>
    >> --
    >> Charlie.
    >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >>
    >> Fang wrote:
    >>> I'm not sure I understand either. The server runs Windows 2003 Standard
    >>> SP1 (32-bit edition). The workstation runs Windows XP Professional
    >>> (64-bit edition). I followed your procedure and it looked like it
    >>> should work. However, once I select the \amd64 directory containing
    >>> ntprint.inf from a CD containing either XP64 or Server 2003-64 I get an
    >>> error message saying "The selected location does not contain the driver
    >>> HP LaserJet 2200 Series PCL 6 for the requested processor
    >>> architecture." This is after selected x64 as the processor. Maybe
    >>> I've done something wrong but if I have a don't know what. Any insights
    >>> would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Darrin
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 19, 2006