    then when photoshop starts to crash again, run the same diagnostic and
    see what is different.

    , Jun 27, 2007

  2. Which version of Photoshop???

    I have had absolutely no problems with either PS CS2 or PS CS3.

    Did you install the public beta of PS CS3 which Adobe released. If you did,
    there is a script which Adobe released, which you were supposed to run before
    installing the retail version of CS3. People who neglected to run this did
    run into problems on any of MS's operating systems (both 32-bit and 64-bit).

    If this is true for you, uninstall Photoshop CS3 and then run the scripts
    which can be downloaded from
    http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Jun 27, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Jun 27, 12:30 am, Carol Steele
    <> wrote:
    > Which version of Photoshop???
    >
    > I have had absolutely no problems with either PS CS2 or PS CS3.
    >
    > Did you install the public beta of PS CS3 which Adobe released. If you did,
    > there is a script which Adobe released, which you were supposed to run before
    > installing the retail version of CS3. People who neglected to run this did
    > run into problems on any of MS's operating systems (both 32-bit and 64-bit).
    >
    > If this is true for you, uninstall Photoshop CS3 and then run the scripts
    > which can be downloaded fromhttp://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

    My version of photoshop is stone age (rev 6). However, I tried the
    eval version of one of the CS programs (CS3 I think) and it bombed.
    This problem comes and goes. Only two programs are effected. Photoshop
    6 and Open Office Calc.

    , Jun 27, 2007
  4. If you've had the public beta on your system I would recommend that you
    uninstall your present version, download and run the script and then
    re-install version 6

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Jun 27, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Jun 27, 9:06 am, Carol Steele
    <> wrote:
    > If you've had the public beta on your system I would recommend that you
    > uninstall your present version, download and run the script and then
    > re-install version 6

    I had this problem way before loading the public beta. At the moment,
    I'm going to avoid rebooting until I can figure out why photoshop is
    working.

    There is something about how photoshop opens up it's scratch files
    that are not kosher with X64.

    , Jun 27, 2007
  6. I'm afraid that is not correct. I have been using CS2 and CS3 on XP x64 for
    almost a year now without a single problem - and I personally know at least
    another 6 people who are running Photoshop (various versions from PS7 through
    to CS3) without your problem.

    You aren't using a network drive or a removeable disk for the scratch disk
    are you?? Do you have a separate dedicated partition for the scratch disk.
    If you're not, which drive do you use for the scratch disk?? How much space
    is available on it??

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Jun 27, 2007
  7. Guest

    On Jun 27, 3:58 pm, Carol Steele
    <> wrote:
    > I'm afraid that is not correct. I have been using CS2 and CS3 on XP x64 for
    > almost a year now without a single problem - and I personally know at least
    > another 6 people who are running Photoshop (various versions from PS7 through
    > to CS3) without your problem.
    >
    > You aren't using a network drive or a removeable disk for the scratch disk
    > are you?? Do you have a separate dedicated partition for the scratch disk.
    > If you're not, which drive do you use for the scratch disk?? How much space
    > is available on it??
    >
    > "" wrote:
    > > There is something about how photoshop opens up it's scratch files
    > > that are not kosher with X64.

    Seriously, you have a lot of nerve to say I'm not having problems with
    Photoshop, as if I can't tell when a program crashes. I've sent
    countless error reports to Microsoft.

    My drives are all internal. I use a C partition for programs, and an E
    partition for user data. Scratch opens on E then C, since E has the
    most free space. Photoshop sees about 3.3GBytes of my 4G bytes of RAM,
    and allocated half of 3.3G for scratch. I probably never tough a hard
    drive given the amount of ram I have.

    I've done numerous posts on this issue. Trust me, it's real.

    , Jun 28, 2007
  8. I wasn't saying you weren't having any problems, when I said that it wasn't
    correct, I was referring to your quote "There is something about how
    photoshop opens up it's scratch files that are not kosher with X64."

    You will always need to use a scratch disk - I have 8Gb of RAM on my system
    - yet simply opening Photoshop sees the scratch disk swell to almost 500Mb -
    if I open up a 4Mb JPEG file sees the scratch disk adjust to 562Mb and that
    is before I start to do things to it such as add layers, layer masks, etc etc
    this quickly bumps it up to over 1 Gb.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Jun 28, 2007
  9. Josh Hillman Guest

    Could there be filesystem corruption that's causing Photoshop to have
    problems when trying to use the scratch disks? Click on Start then
    Run then type "cmd" and hit Enter to open up a Command Prompt. At
    that prompt type
    chkdsk /f c:
    chkdsk /f e:

    If you want to do a more thorough scan, type the following instead:
    chkdsk /r c:
    chkdsk /r e:

    Josh

    Josh Hillman, Jun 29, 2007
  10. Guest

    On Jun 29, 2:56 am, Josh Hillman <> wrote:
    > Could there be filesystem corruption that's causing Photoshop to have
    > problems when trying to use the scratch disks? Click on Start then
    > Run then type "cmd" and hit Enter to open up a Command Prompt. At
    > that prompt type
    > chkdsk /f c:
    > chkdsk /f e:
    >
    > If you want to do a more thorough scan, type the following instead:
    > chkdsk /r c:
    > chkdsk /r e:
    >
    > Josh
    >
    > On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:20:20 -0700, wrote:
    > >On Jun 27, 3:58 pm, Carol Steele
    > ><> wrote:
    > >> I'm afraid that is not correct. I have been using CS2 and CS3 on XP x64 for
    > >> almost a year now without a single problem - and I personally know at least
    > >> another 6 people who are running Photoshop (various versions from PS7 through
    > >> to CS3) without your problem.

    > >> You aren't using a network drive or a removeable disk for the scratch disk
    > >> are you?? Do you have a separate dedicated partition for the scratch disk.
    > >> If you're not, which drive do you use for the scratch disk?? How much space
    > >> is available on it??

    > >Seriously, you have a lot of nerve to say I'm not having problems with
    > >Photoshop, as if I can't tell when a program crashes. I've sent
    > >countless error reports to Microsoft.

    > >My drives are all internal. I use a C partition for programs, and an E
    > >partition for user data. Scratch opens on E then C, since E has the
    > >most free space. Photoshop sees about 3.3GBytes of my 4G bytes of RAM,
    > >and allocated half of 3.3G for scratch. I probably never tough a hard
    > >drive given the amount of ram I have.

    > >I've done numerous posts on this issue. Trust me, it's real.

    I've done that. I am using Nvidia software RAID, so maybe that is the
    problem. I chkdisk, defrag, and sync the raid array. It doesn't make a
    difference.

    This problem comes and goes. At the moment, I am able to run Photoshop
    and Open Office. I am loading 250Mbyte images into Photoshop without a
    hitch.

    It is very difficult to solve an intermittent problem.

    , Jun 30, 2007
  11. I doubt the RAID is your problem, usually if that goes bad - it's gone! Do
    check your signal cables though - particularly if it is SATA, try and
    re-route the cable inside the case so that it doesn't have any natural
    resting point off of the connector!

    You have been with us long enough that I don't want to go to any lenghts
    about Power Supplys and Cooling, and all that - but I would recomend you to
    take a look at the HD temperatures. If you can turn on S.M.A.R.T. for your
    drive(s) you could run something like HD Tune and check it there.

    My temps are at 35deg. C at the moment and I would not feel comfy with
    anything over 40deg. (And 45deg. seems to be very common)

    Check your fans too - perhaps contemplate adding a dedicated fan for the HD?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 30, 2007
  12. Guest

    On Jun 30, 4:33 am, "Tony Sperling" <>
    wrote:
    > I doubt the RAID is your problem, usually if that goes bad - it's gone! Do
    > check your signal cables though - particularly if it is SATA, try and
    > re-route the cable inside the case so that it doesn't have any natural
    > resting point off of the connector!
    >
    > You have been with us long enough that I don't want to go to any lenghts
    > about Power Supplys and Cooling, and all that - but I would recomend you to
    > take a look at the HD temperatures. If you can turn on S.M.A.R.T. for your
    > drive(s) you could run something like HD Tune and check it there.
    >
    > My temps are at 35deg. C at the moment and I would not feel comfy with
    > anything over 40deg. (And 45deg. seems to be very common)
    >
    > Check your fans too - perhaps contemplate adding a dedicated fan for the HD?
    >
    > Tony. . .
    >
    > > I've done that. I am using Nvidia software RAID, so maybe that is the
    > > problem. I chkdisk, defrag, and sync the raid array. It doesn't make a
    > > difference.

    > > This problem comes and goes. At the moment, I am able to run Photoshop
    > > and Open Office. I am loading 250Mbyte images into Photoshop without a
    > > hitch.

    > > It is very difficult to solve an intermittent problem.

    I'm using the Silent PC case (Antec P180), though at the moment it
    isn't too silent since I have the side off it. Power supply is a
    Seasonic 600watter. Regarding SMART, I haven't been able to get this
    to work through the raid interface, but I should put that on the list.
    SATA cables are what they are, that is, I don't think I can route them
    any differently.

    I took the Adobe Reader off my system and replaced it with Foxit.
    Maybe that solved the problem.

    I had loaded Photoshop Elements 2 (a freebie with my slide scanner).
    It used to crash, but now works.

    , Jun 30, 2007