    Anyone?

    TIA.

    Gary D

    Gary J. Dikkema, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Gary J. Dikkema

    John Barnes Guest

    The system files are always written to your %root% drive. Your boot
    sequence in your BIOS determines this. If you change boot sequence you will
    have to make copies of your system files to the new root drive and adjust
    your boot.ini accordingly. The shutdown problem has been reported here a
    couple of times as having to do with installing Avast AV, but most people
    here using it seem not to be having a problem, so it must be a conflict with
    other drivers or software.

    John Barnes, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Gary J. Dikkema

    M. Murcek Guest

    Yes, I had Avast on my x64 Edition desktop, and it would sometimes lock.
    Switched to eTrust, no problem since. As John said, however, the problem
    can be more complex than just that.

    M. Murcek, Jul 12, 2005
  4. I will uninstall Avast... should have mentioned that I had it installed.

    We'll see if that makes any difference though...

    Gary J. Dikkema, Jul 12, 2005
  5. It will only boot to the X64 machine if I tell it to boot from C...
    (sequence in Bios).

    However, not sure if that is causing shutdown problems or not.

    Regards.

    Gary J. Dikkema, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Gary J. Dikkema

    John Barnes Guest

    Should have nothing to do with your shutdown. If you want to change your
    boot sequence make sure you have the proper ntldr and ntdetect.com and
    modified boot.ini file on the %root% of each drive you want to have as the
    1st hard drive in your boot sequence in the BIOS. Must be the ones from x64
    as they seem not to be backward compatible.

    John Barnes, Jul 12, 2005
  7. Thanks John... much like the WXP and the WS2003 boot files... and backward
    compatibility.

    Gary J. Dikkema, Jul 13, 2005
  8. Switched to eTrust and so far so good... SHUTDOWN lockupwise...

    However, why does MS think my system is insecure? With Avast I didn't have
    this issue.

    Gary J. Dikkema, Jul 14, 2005
  9. Gary J. Dikkema

    M. Murcek Guest

    Some av programs don't automatically "introduce" themselves to the Windows
    Security Center. In my case, I turned off the Balloon Tips, so I'm not
    being annoyed. You can open up Security Center, click the Recommendations
    button in the Virus Protection pane, and check teh box that says "I have an
    antivirus program that I will monitor myself..." That'll quiet things down.

    M. Murcek, Jul 14, 2005
  10. Gary J. Dikkema

    John Barnes Guest

    I do find it amusing that a program Microsoft is claimed to be using
    themselves never made it to the recognised AV list. Didn't they use it
    during the beta?

    John Barnes, Jul 14, 2005
  11. Gary J. Dikkema

    M. Murcek Guest

    Just guessing, but I think Windows provides the hooks, but the av program
    has to do the "reaching out."

    M. Murcek, Jul 14, 2005
  12. Ditto!

    This stuff is supposed to just work...

    <VBG>

    Gary J. Dikkema, Jul 14, 2005
  13. Does anyone know how to fix the Avast shutdown problem or what might be
    causing it? I have not had a problem until I actually purchased Avast the
    trail version ran fine the whole time.

    Thanks

    Justin L Hudson, Jul 15, 2005
  14. Same here... so I uninstalled it and moved to eTrust except the Windows FW
    didn't like that... so I finally moved to a NOd32-x64 trial...

    Now they all play nice together...

    Gary D

    Gary J. Dikkema, Jul 15, 2005