    Does anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks
    Andrew
    TM1 Consultant, Dec 22, 2009

  2. TM1 Consultant

    James Kosin Guest

    On 12/22/2009 6:22 PM, TM1 Consultant wrote:
    > As a consultant I have worked with both x86 and x64 applications for some
    > years. My present situation is that I am trying to loate a true x64 laptop
    > that will run Windows XP x64 or Windows Server 2003 x64. The laptop should be
    > capable of josting atleast 8GB RAM and cost within $5000 AUD
    > Does anybody have any ideas?
    > Thanks
    > Andrew

    Andrew,

    It is doable. Only problem is the upgrade to 8GB will be expensive. Do
    be sure to make sure the laptop supports 8GB.

    My HP says it does.
    It came with Windows Vista 64 Premium and I've since upgraded to Windows 7.

    The other issue will be having it support both XP 64 and Windows Server
    2003 x64. The Server applications are more suited to a desktop than a
    laptop but you may be able to coax the Windows into the system.
    Biggest issue here will be drivers for both XP and 2003!!! The newer
    laptops have started dropping XP and Server was never supported on a laptop.

    James
    James Kosin, Dec 23, 2009

  3. TM1 Consultant

    James Kosin Guest

    You also need to read the sale carefully. I've noticed if you search
    for 4GB DDR2 for the laptop, you will get a mix of 2-2GB sticks being
    sold as a 4GB upgrade. Which is rather disappointing since the 2-2GB
    sticks are about 1/2 the price of a single 4GB stick these days.

    With the price of $190 for a 4GB stick this translates into about $380
    plus shipping handling and taxes... bringing the total to about 1/2 the
    price I paid for the laptop. I just can't see paying almost $400 to
    upgrade to 8GB from the 4GB I currently have.

    I have an HP Pavilion dv4-1147cl got from SAM's CLUB for a good price.
    Haven't had any problems with the 4GB installed.

    James Kosin, Dec 24, 2009