    the logical drive as D instead of E), so it installed on E drive and wouldn't
    subsequently let me change this. Is there a way of getting x64 to install on
    D drive?

    simonc, Feb 1, 2008

  2. Hi,
    I am not sure wether i get your logistics
    You must not rely on the expectation, that all primary partitions are
    located before an extended, if they are not created first.
    if you already have any installation runnable, view your hd layout under
    computer management
    jk

    Juergen Kluth, Feb 1, 2008

  3. simonc

    Carlos Guest

    This is how it worked for me.
    Primary partition for drive C: (same as yours)
    The rest of the disk was an Extended Partition divided into two logical
    disks, namely D: (for xp x64) and E: (for data)
    That way XP x64 would "see" its home drive as "D:"
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 1, 2008
  4. simonc

    John Barnes Guest

    Do not allocate the current E drive (leave it as freespace) until after you
    install XP64. After the enumeration is set in the registry, it will not be
    changed by allocating your freespace

    John Barnes, Feb 1, 2008
  5. simonc

    Carlos Guest

    Adding this one to my bag o' tricks...
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 1, 2008
  6. simonc

    John Barnes Guest

    For the most part, this is still applicable thru XP. Mixed IDE SATA drives
    can result in different enumerations and require a trial and error approach.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234048/en-us

    John Barnes, Feb 1, 2008
  7. simonc

    simonc Guest

    Thanks for this advice. I've removed XP x64 from the system, then removed the
    extended partition, and formatted the partition which had x64. Unfortunately
    when I tried installing x64 again it still insists on giving letter E to the
    first - and only - available partition. I tried deleting this partiton
    within setup and creating it again, but it still shows up as E. Why is
    install not assigning it to D when there is no other partition on the drive?
    (There are two DVD drives on the machine. Does it think one of those is D?)

    simonc, Feb 1, 2008
  8. You would have to disconnect your cd drive first.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 1, 2008
  9. simonc

    simonc Guest

    Whoops! It wasn't a CD drive which was causing the problem - it was a
    portable USB hard drive which I was using in XP 32 bit. But it was off the
    bottom of the screen in the x64 disk examination screen so I forgot it was
    there.

    Sorry, and thanks for the advice.

    simonc, Feb 1, 2008