    Asus A8V MoBo
    Plextor PX-760A EIDE DVD
    2x WD 200Gb HDs
    =?Utf-8?B?em9vbTc5?=, Jun 4, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?em9vbTc5?=

    Rick Guest

    What type of connection do you have? Unfortunately the error you're
    getting is one that is a result of a corrupted file. Are you using a
    "Burn Image to CD" option with the downloaded .ISO file?

    Rick, Jun 4, 2006

  3. I'm using a cable connection. I used Roxio Classic Creator to "Burn from
    Disc Image" & am pretty sure that the file is good.

    Anything else I can try?

    Thanks.
    --
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    Asus A8V MoBo

    =?Utf-8?B?em9vbTc5?=, Jun 4, 2006
  4. corrupted files point to one of three things - a problem with the download,
    a problem with the ISO burn, or hardware. Hardware can take the form of a
    bad cable or connection, or bad RAM, or a problem with the DVD player.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 4, 2006
  5. Hello,
    I would agree with Charlie's list.
    The most likely cause of this error is hardware, and of the hardware the
    most likely is RAM. With that error code I can find multiple occasions
    where this was caused by bad RAM. It could any one of the other things,
    but in my opinion RAM is the issue.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Subject: Re: x64 Installation Error Code 4
    <Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 09:27:32 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <corrupted files point to one of three things - a problem with the
    download,
    <a problem with the ISO burn, or hardware. Hardware can take the form of a
    <bad cable or connection, or bad RAM, or a problem with the DVD player.
    <
    <--
    <Charlie.
    <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <
    <
    <zoom79 wrote:
    <> I'm using a cable connection. I used Roxio Classic Creator to "Burn from
    <> Disc Image" & am pretty sure that the file is good.
    <>
    <> Anything else I can try?
    <>
    <> Thanks.
    <>
    <>> What type of connection do you have? Unfortunately the error you're
    <>> getting is one that is a result of a corrupted file. Are you using a
    <>> "Burn Image to CD" option with the downloaded .ISO file?
    <>>
    <>>
    <>> zoom79 wrote:
    <>>> I am building up a new system & decided to try out XP x64 as the OS.
    <>>>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jun 5, 2006
  6. 30% a bad RAM module
    40% mis-matched RAM modules
    15% overclocked
    10% burn or download
    05% other hardware

    My ball-park guesses as to the likely percentages for the cause. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 5, 2006
  7. Gentlemen,

    Thank you for your insights--you were pretty much dead on!

    While I was thinking about what to do with the possibility of a bad CD
    player or cable, I thought about BIOS. Doing some research, I found that I
    needed one of the last few BIOS updates for my CPU to work with this mobo.
    After updating the BIOS, I kept getting checksum errors & decided to swap out
    the Viking RAM I had with two Corsair sticks (from the approved list). No big
    surprise (but a big sigh of relief!), the machine spun up and x64 Setup ran
    through without problem.

    Now, if I can just figure out what to do with 2 1Gb sticks of Viking RAM
    that won't work on either of my ASUS mobos . . .

    Thank you again!
    --
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    Asus A8V MoBo

    =?Utf-8?B?em9vbTc5?=, Jun 5, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?em9vbTc5?=

    John Barnes Guest

    There is always the possibility that it is bad RAM you could possibly
    exchange and use in your other slots.

    John Barnes, Jun 5, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?em9vbTc5?=

    Rick Guest

    Try finding someone with a MB the Viking will work in. My MSI K8T800Pro
    doesn't like Patriot RAM, but it runs fine with Elixir. My nephew could
    not get his MB with SiS chips to run with Elixir. My Asus A8V seems
    happy with either. To me the it's all absurd. All the MBs are supposed
    to run JEDEC standard RAM, but they don't. And the vendors really don't
    care. When you mention a memory problem, they tell you to go buy their
    recommended brand of RAM. I bought a different brand MB instead, it was
    cheaper!

    Rick, Jun 5, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?em9vbTc5?=

    Graham Guest

    Rick wrote:
    > Try finding someone with a MB the Viking will work in. My MSI K8T800Pro
    > doesn't like Patriot RAM, but it runs fine with Elixir. My nephew could
    > not get his MB with SiS chips to run with Elixir. My Asus A8V seems
    > happy with either. To me the it's all absurd. All the MBs are supposed
    > to run JEDEC standard RAM, but they don't. And the vendors really don't
    > care. When you mention a memory problem, they tell you to go buy their
    > recommended brand of RAM. I bought a different brand MB instead, it was
    > cheaper!

    That's the point at which Microsoft would like you to buy another
    Windows license isn't it? I'm sure I've seen someone around here arguing
    that it is the motherboard that a (normal, not volume etc.) license
    "belongs" to.

    Graham.
    Graham, Jun 6, 2006
  11. Why buy another license? Even if you make substantial hardware changes you
    can still activate again (except for BIOS locked OEM licenses).

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 6, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?em9vbTc5?=

    Graham Guest

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > Why buy another license? Even if you make substantial hardware changes you
    > can still activate again (except for BIOS locked OEM licenses).

    Oh, I agree that it is both possible and perfectly reasonable to do so,
    however there are been various discussions as to exactly which piece of
    a computer Microsoft considers a license to be "attached" to. The
    sticker is supposed to be on the case somewhere, but if you look at the
    license wording, it is somewhat vague about just which hardware it
    applies to, and there are some who say it is the motherboard. For most
    people here, I strongly suspect x64 is using an individual OEM license,
    not BIOS (or anything else for that matter) locked, so what we *can* do
    with it, isn't necessarily the same as we are supposed to do with it.

    Graham.
    Graham, Jun 6, 2006
  13. There's no need for discussion. It is all laid out by MS on the website.
    There are 10 points for the hardware. Only the system hard drive is
    counted. Ram is counted as one point and a change of 64MB or more is the
    trigger. The NIC counts as 3 points (odd as it sounds), and so on. Seven
    points and re-activation is triggered.
    No external devices count at all. It should not be such a mystery.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 6, 2006
  14. =?Utf-8?B?em9vbTc5?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Only relates to the Activation process. The licenses are somewhat vague,
    but the motherboard is key.

    John Barnes, Jun 6, 2006