  1. It's getting on my tits.

    Bye,
    Skybuck :)

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 27, 2008

  2. Skybuck Flying

    Theo Guest

    Re: X64: How to prevent punkbuster from secretly installing itself?

    Have you taken the time to search the web? The first
    response presented might answer your question, especially
    since this would not be a Windows operating system problem!

    Theo, Feb 27, 2008

  3. Skybuck Flying

    Theo Guest

    Re: X64: How to prevent punkbuster from secretly installing itself?

    Also, quit running Battlefield 2.

    Theo, Feb 27, 2008
  4. No didn't find anything.

    You have a link ?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 28, 2008
  5. Skybuck Flying

    Theo Guest

    Re: X64: How to prevent punkbuster from secretly installing itself?

    There were lots of pages of links. You must not have looked
    very well. Did you use Google?

    Theo, Feb 28, 2008
  6. No you have not looked for very well or did not understand my question.

    All google turns up is problems people are having because their punkbuster
    is blocked.

    And the solution for them is to unblock whatever is blocking punkbuster.

    I however don't like punkbuster for good reasons.

    I play on punkbuster-free servers.

    The reason is because punkbuster is

    1. A system resources hog, and causes sound problems.

    2. Dangerous/rootkit-like.

    3. Can lead to system crashes.

    So I shall one more time explain what I want to do:

    I want to make sure punkbuster does not install itself onto my operating
    system and harddisk, when I play games with
    punkbuster-install-hooks-or-what-ever-you-wanna-call-it.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 28, 2008
  7. Skybuck Flying

    Theo Guest

    Re: X64: How to prevent punkbuster from secretly installing itself?

    I did find the answer. I believe it was toward the bottom
    of the first page of links, but I did read several of the
    results of my Google search.

    But, regardless of where it's at, I took the time to read
    the results of the search and I found the answer to a
    NON-WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM problem!

    Skybuck Flying wrote:
    > No you have not looked for very well or did not understand my question.
    >
    > All google turns up is problems people are having because their punkbuster
    > is blocked.
    >
    > And the solution for them is to unblock whatever is blocking punkbuster.
    >
    > I however don't like punkbuster for good reasons.
    >
    > I play on punkbuster-free servers.
    >
    > The reason is because punkbuster is
    >
    > 1. A system resources hog, and causes sound problems.
    >
    > 2. Dangerous/rootkit-like.
    >
    > 3. Can lead to system crashes.
    >
    > So I shall one more time explain what I want to do:
    >
    > I want to make sure punkbuster does not install itself onto my operating
    > system and harddisk, when I play games with
    > punkbuster-install-hooks-or-what-ever-you-wanna-call-it.
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.
    >
    > "Theo" <> wrote in message
    >> There were lots of pages of links. You must not have looked very well.
    >> Did you use Google?
    >>

    >> Skybuck Flying wrote:
    >>> No didn't find anything.
    >>>
    >>> You have a link ?
    >>>
    >>> Bye,
    >>> Skybuck.

    Theo, Feb 28, 2008
  8. Skybuck Flying

    Theo Guest

    Re: X64: How to prevent punkbuster from secretly installing itself?

    The other point is this is a subject that should be asked in
    a gaming specific forum. It's a gaming problem, not a
    Windows problem!!

    Skybuck Flying wrote:
    > No you have not looked for very well or did not understand my question.
    >
    > All google turns up is problems people are having because their punkbuster
    > is blocked.
    >
    > And the solution for them is to unblock whatever is blocking punkbuster.
    >
    > I however don't like punkbuster for good reasons.
    >
    > I play on punkbuster-free servers.
    >
    > The reason is because punkbuster is
    >
    > 1. A system resources hog, and causes sound problems.
    >
    > 2. Dangerous/rootkit-like.
    >
    > 3. Can lead to system crashes.
    >
    > So I shall one more time explain what I want to do:
    >
    > I want to make sure punkbuster does not install itself onto my operating
    > system and harddisk, when I play games with
    > punkbuster-install-hooks-or-what-ever-you-wanna-call-it.
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.
    >
    > "Theo" <> wrote in message
    >> There were lots of pages of links. You must not have looked very well.
    >> Did you use Google?
    >>

    >> Skybuck Flying wrote:
    >>> No didn't find anything.
    >>>
    >>> You have a link ?
    >>>
    >>> Bye,
    >>> Skybuck.

    Theo, Feb 28, 2008
  9. The game installs a driver into kernel space, and thus it effects the
    operating system.

    Would be nice windows warns about such events in the future.

    And could even block it.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 29, 2008
  10. Nope.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 29, 2008
  11. Skybuck Flying

    Theo Guest

    Re: X64: How to prevent punkbuster from secretly installing itself?

    That has to be one of the most ignorant statements I have
    heard lately. Microsoft is not responsible for how you use
    the system. The fact that Punkbuster installs tracking
    software on your system is not Microsoft's fault, it's
    your's. There's no secret about Punkbuster, so it's not
    Microsoft's responsibility to warn you - read what's freely
    available on the internet warning you!!

    Theo, Feb 29, 2008
  12. Skybuck Flying

    mikeyhsd Guest

    run vista then, the kernel space is protected.

    mikeyhsd, Feb 29, 2008
  13. Back to the topic.

    How to prevent punkbuster from installing on my system.

    You still haven't provided any answers.

    Admit it you simply don't know...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Mar 1, 2008
  14. Skybuck Flying

    Theo Guest

    Re: X64: How to prevent punkbuster from secretly installing itself?

    You're not going to prevent it as long as you participate in
    on-line games that utilize it, and it is not malware so
    Microsoft is not going to do anything to prevent it from
    installing on your system. There were several links that
    stated exactly that and also how to remove it from you system.

    If there is a way to prevent it, then you will find an
    answer in one of the hacker game forums, not here!

    Regardless on your intransigence, it's not Microsoft
    responsibility!

    Get real! If you're going to visit a gaming site that uses
    tracking software to prevent cheating, then what makes you
    think Microsoft should do something to prevent it from being
    installed on your system?

    Theo, Mar 1, 2008
  15. Skybuck Flying

    mikeyhsd Guest

    the simple answer is to install vista. the kernel is protected.

    mikeyhsd, Mar 1, 2008
  16. Punkbuster is turned off in Battlefield 2.

    However for Call of Duty 4 MP it always installs itself it seems.

    Anyway I don't play Call of Duty 4... but I do play Battlefield 2.

    Sometimes, somehow Punkbuster manages to sneaky install itself while I don't
    want that.

    It's virus like behaviour ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Mar 2, 2008
  17. I hear bad things about Vista's and it's performance.

    Maybe a next version of windows is better ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Mar 2, 2008
  18. Skybuck Flying

    Theo Guest

    Re: X64: How to prevent punkbuster from secretly installing itself?

    PunkBuster is a computer program published by Even Balance,
    Inc. Its purpose is to prevent cheating in online games by
    banning players.

    It has recently been deployed in several popular multiplayer
    online games, including the Battlefield series, America's
    Army, Crysis, F.E.A.R., Call of Duty series, Quake III
    Arena, War Rock, among many more.

    Based on the description above, I would tend to presume
    you're one of those who are inclined to cheat if you can get
    away with it and PunkBuster is trying to keep you honest.
    If it were a virus, they wouldn't be open about its presence
    or what it does.

    So, if your objective is to cheat, then you need to find a
    game cheater's forum and find your answer there.

    Theo, Mar 2, 2008
  19. Skybuck Flying

    Don Guest

    >I hear bad things about Vista's and it's performance.
    >
    > Maybe a next version of windows is better ;)
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.

    Vista Ultimate 64 bit is kicking butt for me... but then, I don't try and
    use Punkbusters either.

    --
    Don

    Don, Mar 2, 2008
  20. No I don't cheat in games. I play games pure for fun.

    I don't mind cheaters in games I usually beat them up anyway.

    The problem is PunkBuster fucks up my sound/x-fi after a while.

    I just don't like punkbuster.

    And they do secretly install themselfes.

    Just because they say it's in the game doesn't mean they can't secretly
    install it.

    Because it's off.

    So I think punkbuster is completely overkill and probably a security risk !

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Mar 3, 2008