X64 - Hitachi SATA

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by John Barnes, Jun 12, 2005.

  1. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Per suggestion of Charlie.

    System
    ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe.
    Chipset Nforce4
    Drives Connection Point Now
    Current System
    HDT722516DLA380 SATA MASTER - 3 Partition 1
    x64 OEM not useable Partition 2 XP Pro
    SAMSUNG SP1213C SATA MASTER - 1 Partition 1
    x64 OEM Partition 2 XP Pro
    SAMSUNG SP1614C SATA MASTER - 2 Partition 1
    x64 beta Partition 2 XP Pro

    Tried several times to install x64 with the current setup and no success
    when boot to GUI - Partial install there but partition not recognized.
    Finally tried to install on the current master 1 and had no problems.
    Disconnected other drives and plugged the Hitachi drive to SATA Master 1 and
    tried the install again. Same results.
    Reconnected as above and created a Ghost Image of the successful install and
    restored to the Hitachi partition. Tried both manual updating and windows
    recovery console configuration of boot.ini. No difference.
    Ntdetect and ntldr are same on both drives. Ntoskrnl is the same in both
    x64 installations and all xp Pro are the same original xp pro versions Xp
    beta is a different version

    Current situation - Ghost image on Hitachi drive and on trying to boot to
    x64 on Hitachi drive gets the error message of ntoskrnl missing - reinstall.
    Xp pro boots on all drives and x64 (Samsung) and x64 beta boot with no
    problems.

    I would like to ideally have the Hitachi drive as the main drive - Newest,
    SATA II 300GB (supported by MB but I know, no difference in performance
    except has NCQ) and have 1 Samsung drive with the copies of X64 and XP Pro

    I like to have the copies where I try out new software and don't have to
    worry about my work environment, and also so I can immediately have a
    working system if I have a drive crash. I would use the other Samsung for
    periodic Ghost images of the main drives. The fourth SATA MASTER is for a
    Plextor SATA DVD recorder.

    Hope that is enough info (or too much, whatever) Thanks in advance for
    suggestions on getting it to work ideally :)

    John Barnes, Jun 12, 2005

  2. John Barnes

    Dennis Pack Guest

    John:
    It may be the SATA II drive not being recognized properly. Are the
    other drives SATA or SATA II?

    Dennis Pack, Jun 12, 2005

  3. John Barnes

    Ian Guest

    Is not clear at all as to what you want to accomplish...
    and which controller are you using SI or Nvidia - and
    this "the error message of ntoskrnl missing" is the result
    of a "boot order" issue for your selected hard drive in the
    bios - If all is installed as you say "it is setup"

    Ian, Jun 12, 2005
  4. OK, I'm betting the problem is the SATAII status of the Hitachi. The Mobo
    claims to support, and I gather it does work in 32-bit mode, so that part is
    OK. But perhaps the 64-bit driver isn't properly supporting it at this point?
    That would certainly be possible. Now, one thing I'm not clear about with
    this. If you have the Hitachi as a simple data disk, not a OS disk, is it
    completely recognized from x64? If so, then it sounds like a minor issue with
    the F6 drivers, and that is something that the folks at NVIDEA or ASUS are
    going to have to resolve.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 12, 2005
  5. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    The other drives are SATA and I have suspected that it may have to do with
    SATA II or NCQ and x64. The partition with XP Pro boots fine.

    John Barnes, Jun 12, 2005
  6. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    It is fully recognized as data from the working x64 install. I hope that it
    is something that NVIDIA is working on since they have the SATA drivers
    built in and there are no drivers to use at F6 (at this point). I saw one
    other post with the same problem but like my prior posts there was never a
    resolution. I will try to bug ASUS as I can't find any contact for the
    Nforce chipsets on the NVIDIA site. Thanks.

    John Barnes, Jun 12, 2005
  7. So it's just an issue with the drive being recognized as a boot partition.
    Hmmm. I would definitely go after ASUS on this one. You might also try
    Hitachi. It's not that I think they have the solution, but that they have a
    vested interest in making sure their drives work as they expect. And they are
    very likely to have good contacts at NVIDIA.

    The short term solution seems to be to design your booting partitions onto
    smaller sizes, all located on the plain SATA drives, and use the Hitachi
    drive as a data partition or two for all of them.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 12, 2005
  8. John Barnes

    MHPNW STAFF Guest

    John ....
    you have to unzip the Nvidia driver package , and then copy the Sata/Raid
    drivers to a floppy disk.... then at F6, make sure that you load both: sata
    driver, and Nvidia controller driver ........

    I hope that helps

    Dennis

    MHPNW STAFF, Jun 12, 2005
  9. I have that same setup with both the SATA 1 and 2 versions. I installed the
    64 bit version on the D drive no issues except it does not see the SATA 2
    versions as such.
    Also no support for SLI to my knowledge but ASUS just dropped out some new
    64 Bit chipset drivers etc very recently which may fix some of those issues.
    I took my 64 bit copy off as it was just not quite right without all the
    features that the mobo has to offer.

    Best regards,

    Lee Nelson

    =?Utf-8?B?SnVhbiBNb3RvY2s=?=, Jun 12, 2005
  10. John Barnes

    Goody2shoe Guest

    Re: X64 - Hitachi SATA - for Hitachi SATA2 HD keep NCQ off

    I am booting XP64 beta on my A8N-SLI Deluxe from a Hitachi SATA2 HD as a
    stand alone drive on NVSATA1. I had to keep NCQ turned off (default) to keep
    it working. I tried turning NCQ on, it would boot but I got errors during
    use. I used Hitachi's utility to turn on 300 speed and the drive seems
    pretty fast. I have two other SATA drives on NVSATA3 & 4 in a RAID0 array.
    It took some time figuring out the BIOS settings to get this arrangement
    setup.

    =====================

    Goody2shoe, Jun 12, 2005
  11. I had a similar problem with 2 x 160gb Hitachi SATA II's on a ASUS P5WD2
    Premium Motherboard. Basically you need to get a utility from Hitachi's
    website that lets you boot up into a driver configurator. First thing...turn
    those drives up to 3gb so you can see the SATA II performance.... Second, I
    disabled the acoustics stuff and the power savings features. Once I did that
    I had no problems booting from either drive set as Standard IDE or creating a
    RAID0 Array.

    ***Remember to get the latest Intel drivers if you are using raid to boot up.

    HOpe that helps a tad.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGFydW4=?=, Jun 13, 2005
  12. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: X64 - Hitachi SATA - for Hitachi SATA2 HD keep NCQ off

    Where do you find the NCQ setting. I have been through the BIOS several
    times and can't find it anywhere. Also not on the Hitachi SATA utility
    program?

    John Barnes, Jun 14, 2005
  13. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: X64 - Hitachi SATA - for Hitachi SATA2 HD keep NCQ off

    Also what BIOS version and NVIDIA chipset driver file are you using? Thanks

    John Barnes, Jun 14, 2005
  14. John Barnes

    Goody2shoe Guest

    Re: X64 - Hitachi SATA - for Hitachi SATA2 HD keep NCQ off

    The NCQ setting is in Windows Device Manager for the SATA controller, it
    cannot be touched in BIOS or by utility. I'm at 1011 BIOS and 6.39 Nvidia
    64bit drivers.
    =====================

    Goody2shoe, Jun 15, 2005
  15. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: X64 - Hitachi SATA - for Hitachi SATA2 HD keep NCQ off

    Thanks. Version 639 is beta, right? Also 1011 has both production and
    beta. Which do you use. Thanks. Also I set the speed in the Hitachi to 300
    but it still shows as 150 in device manager. I rechecked in the Hitachi but
    still says 300 enabled.

    John Barnes, Jun 15, 2005
  16. John Barnes

    Goody2shoe Guest

    Re: X64 - Hitachi SATA - for Hitachi SATA2 HD keep NCQ off, use Nvidia SATA controller

    I'm using the release BIOS 1011, I believe it has the same date as the 1011
    beta. Unless I hear that a BETA BIOS fixes a problem I'm having, I stick
    with release BIOS. Yes the Nvidia 6.39 drivers are beta but working fine for
    me. Nvidia drivers sometimes stay in beta for a long time even though they
    work well. I use goggle to search for forum comments to decide if I'll use
    beta drivers.
    To get SATA 300 speed on Asus A8N-SLI you must use the Nvidia SATA
    controller, the one away from the PCI slots. The Nvidia controller is in the
    chipset and run at higher speed. The Silicon Image controller, the SATA
    ports toward PCI slots, cannot do SATA2 and only run at PCI bus speed. Some
    folks have described the 8 SATA connections by their colors but Asus has not
    been consistent in using the red and black connectors. One of my A8N boards
    has red Nvidia SATA connectors and one board has black connectors on the
    Nvidia controller.

    Goody2shoe, Jun 17, 2005
  17. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: X64 - Hitachi SATA - for Hitachi SATA2 HD keep NCQ off, use Nvidia SATA controller

    Thanks. Mine are in Device manager - NVIDIA nForce 4 ADMA Controller
    Secondary Channel. My board has red and black and they are on the black
    away from the PCI side of the board. Since 6.39 is installed after
    installing the system this is obviously not the problem. I put the drive on
    the #1 position (black lower right as per MB layout in manual) and tried to
    install x64. Still no success. Has no problems seeing in TEXT install,
    deletes the partition, formats and installs first part, goes to reboot into
    the GUI install and can't find the drive. ASUS won't answer. Hitachi had
    several suggestions then said contact ASUS for drivers. For now guess I
    have to use on my SATA I drive. Perfect install there.

    John Barnes, Jun 17, 2005